UK theme parks from another point of view!

Welcome to the all new TTSP Forum!
We are still working some magic behind the scenes, your patience is requested.

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Legoland on Watchdog

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Just seen General Manager Sue Kemp getting a savaging from Ann Robinson regarding thair wasp problem this summer.

Dean

Re: Legoland on Watchdog

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 pm

The server for the website is struggling... :P

Wasp and sting prevention

LEGOLAND Windsor is currently experiencing an unusually high number of wasps in the Park but would like to reassure you that we are doing everything possible to address the issue.

To ensure it does not spoil the enjoyment of your day, here are some steps to help minimise the risk of wasp stings:

•Wear insect repellent as these can prove effective.

•Do not panic if a wasp lands on you. If you remain still, the wasp will usually fly off in seconds.

•Be extra careful if you are eating or drinking (especially sweet things) outside. Check food before putting it in your mouth.

•Smells and bright colours attract insects. Avoid scented creams and strong perfumes if you are going to spend time outside.

If you or a member of your family is stung, please make a member of staff aware. We have a team of qualified first aiders who will be able to assist you and wasp treatments are available at all our food and retail outlets as well as guest services.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 pm

I wasn't very impressed with the Watchdog report, I felt Legoland were very harshly done by.

Surely its pretty obvious that there are going to be wasps at theme parks during the summer? Maybe Legoland do need to improve their wasp strategy but I felt that the report was a bit OTT.

Nice to see that Alton Towers got a mention for their wasp control though.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm

•Wear insect repellent as these can prove effective.
Surprised Merlin haven’t started selling them at the gate :roll:

•Smells and bright colours attract insects.
At Legoland, that'll be a problem.
ImageImage

Joelio

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 pm

I can't wait for Morwenna's next publicity stunt "Wasp Ban" :P

But being worried about Wasps is very childish.

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Lazy journalism. Why no wasp warnings on football club websites or on council websites about swing parks I ask you? :-s

Jordan

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

The woman doing the report did seem quite overreactive. I'd be surprised how many people had paid over £100 given the amount of 2-for-1 deals done over the summer, and it seemed a bit pushy when she mentioned 'a wasps nest really close to a ride'.

Yes, there is a problem, and being pestered by wasps when eating is very annoying, but I'm pretty sure they'll be putting in similar measures to those at Alton (wasp traps) to try and reduce the amounts.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:16 am

Here's a link to the item on iPlayer

Hmm.

Wasps this year have undeniably been a problem, and it's certainly arguable that Legoland have been the least proactive in dealing with them. The fact that this report found three nests within the space of 20-odd minutes is inexcusable, and Legoland really do seem to have much fewer traps than, say, AT.

Having said that, this report is ridiculous. I felt so sorry for poor Sue Kemp, having to sit through that - she actually apologised repeatedly, and was still torn to shreds by the fiery beast that is A. Robinson.

They do have these wasp signs everywhere:

...so they're certainly acknowledging the problem (photo taken back on the 8th August - they've been there a while).

Gah. Talk about irritating...

Deleted
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:21 am

I thought it was justified to be honest.

Especially considering that 6yr old girl was stung by a wasp and that there was wasp nests right by the entrance.

Go Robinson I say!

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:07 am

It was pretty bad when she said they have people who go looking for wasps every day and that number increased in the summer, Ann replies, well our expert found them within minutes :lol:

How she looked the fool!

Big Dave

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I think the show is very bias and intentionally set out to make the park look bad, however I do feel that alot more can be done. The park need to ensure that all summer long they have traps around all key food outlets as well as a team of people who go out to look for and remove nests. In addition all bins need to be cleaned more frequently and all restaurant staff must remove rubbish from tables outside on a regular basis and wipe down all surfaces that may have traces of sugar or sweet food that may attract wasps.

Merlin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Wasps can be a pain, these can fly for miles in search for food.

I wached the program on TV and the general manager Sue Kemp did state that they have hired a pest control firm going around the park on a daily basis trying to tackle the problem. Maybe it should be the pest control company that they were using that should have been in the spot light. Perhaps legoland should consider changing the pest control coumpany that they are currently using.

But I do agree with the previous post, more needs to be done with regards to putting out more wasp traps, even these do not totally eradicate the problem, but certainly help to reduce it.

Joel

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 pm

I have to agree, Watchdog can almost be as bad as Kay Burley on Sky News, blowing things out of proportion, and not really explaining things properly also.

I do like the show, and some of its efforts are genuinely great - like the issue about private clampers last night.

But two of the aspects of the program annoyed me last night - the first being Tesco and its 98p/2 for £2 squash, which they failed to explain properly (the VT presenter did say "We were only charged £1.96 at the checkout..." Er, so whats the issue? There are other squashes you can mix in the offer, that are like £1.30 odd, so £1.30 bottle + 99p = 29p saving, but 2 x 99p bottles you'll still pay only £1.96!)

Anyway, Tesco aside, the other annoying bit was of course Legoland - yes, there are some fundemental failures that Legoland needed to act on - clearly wasps nests were evading them/their detection and removal, but short of removing the nests, providing more traps and clearing down food as soon as possible, I really don't know how you can avoid infestations of any insect in such a wide open natural space.

The whole attitude of Anne seemed bullyish and annoying - yeah, ok, I'm not defending Legoland's inadequacies, but it was too over the top I thought!

Maybe Morwenna does need to get over there and ban wasps, and then maybe they'll stay away! 8-)

Big Dave

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm

LOL Ban the wasps! Rep point is required for Joel, but computer says no :(

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:58 pm

"Big Dave" wrote:
LOL Ban the wasps! Rep point is required for Joel, but computer says no :(

In fairness Joelio made the joke first in post 5 :). But come on, guys - given how much attention we pay to Morwenna's marketing, d'you really think wasps will be more compliant? :P

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am

I was outside Madame Tussaudes in London yesterday and a wasp came up to me. I was outraged. I jest...

One can look at this story from two angles.

1) You're going to an outdoor venue in the summer, with lots of sugary food - there are bound to be natural wildlife. Get over it.

2) You are going to a private property that charges you to enter (and park?) and not enough has been done by Merlin to secure a comfortable visit for the paying guests to their property.

I think the second angle is the step Watchdog took. Let's remember that Legoland is probably the park visited by most young children (more so than Chessington, probably) and, due to this fact, it's VITAL that this park be wasp free. I remember when I was 5, seeing just one wasp was terrible - but being in a "fun" place surrounded by wasps would be an absolute nightmare - and not the greatest way to introduce me to theme parks!

HOWEVER - I do think Queen Anne Robinson I was a bit too harsh on them, but that's the persona the producers probably demand from her. It's publicity for the park (albeit, bad...) and now they've been attacked by the watchdog, they will do even more to sort it out.

On a side-note... I will write to Watchdog next and complain about the thousands of chavs they have running around Thorpe and Alton in their football shirts... see what Merlin have to say about that! There's no warning on their website!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Craig

Legoland on Watchdog

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 am

"nickhutson" wrote:
On a side-note... I will write to Watchdog next and complain about the thousands of chavs they have running around Thorpe and Alton in their football shirts... see what Merlin have to say about that! There's no warning on their website!

You'll actually find at Thorpe this yer they're trialling larger versions o the wasp traps, filled with the chav nectar of choice - special brew and White star.

In all seriousness though, Nick has explained this quite well. As much as the article did seem a little over the top, there is a distinct lack of wasp traps around the park when compared to the likes of Alton. No one expects them to be eradicated, just to be properly managed which doesn't appear to be the case here.

That's the thing with Watchdog though, they always take a VERY exaggerated view over things, something which others have already pointed out. I cringe when they cover mobile stories as it's the industry I work in - it almost gets me angry listening to some of the crap they spout!

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:25 pm

I remeber a few years ago when AT had the same issue, it was unpleasant but they took the complaints on board and have sorted this issue out.

Sometimes it takes a heavy handed approach to get things done, personally i felt that Sue Kemp didnt quite understand how this issue has got out of hand, hopefully this heavy handed approach will of worked

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 pm

"I'm deciding to go to Legoland, and I live in Newcastle. I look at the website, I hate wasps and my children hate wasps. Was there anything on the website?"

Anne Robinson really miffed me off saying that. I hate chavs, there's nothing on Thorpe's website warning me of these chavs, shall I complain? :roll: Anne Robinson didn't let Sue get a word in anyway, Anne kept talking over her, she clearly didn't give a toss on what Sue was saying what they are doing to rectify the problem.

I do agree with what people have said with that Legoland can do much more, but they will most likely sort this problem out.

I've never seen Watchdog before, but after watching that, I don't think I'll ever set my eyes on Watchdog again if that's how they over exaggerated they are, and Anne just came across as very rude.

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

I live near Newcastle, I hate wasps and my children hate wasps I've just been to Legoland- can I just say I wouldn't have even bothered to look at the website to see if there are wasps there...ITS A RUDDY THEME PARK! It'd be like checking the website to see if there were any rides there!