UK theme parks from another point of view!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Re: LegoLand Windsor: new ride in 2012, Rocket Racers site

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:21 pm

^Thing is, Legoland has no interest in keeping teens interested in the park. Their target market only goes up to twelve year old's*, which is somewhat proven by your opening statement "Now a teenager, I don't visit LEGOLAND Windsor any more..."

The park definitely could do with a few new large (in size and, more importantly, throughput) attractions, though, and a rollercoaster would be perfect for that, filling the gap left by the Jungle Coaster's removal (and previous bastardisation). The next few years should hopefully see that sorted.

* - and, err, fanatics... *looks awkward*

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 pm

They need a coaster.

Simple as.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:23 pm

They don't really, any high capacity family ride would do.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 pm

More photos of the hotel are here:
http://go-merlin.co.uk/news/5234

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

^Thing is, Legoland has no interest in keeping teens interested in the park. Their target market only goes up to twelve year old's*, which is somewhat proven by your opening statement "Now a teenager, I don't visit LEGOLAND Windsor any more..."

I do already know that LEGOLAND's target audience is not teenagers from my geeky theme park life (no offence intended) but either way they do need new rollercoasters. Only 2 in the same area of the park just isn't enough and (also said in my earlier post) daredevil pre-teens (8-12 years) won't be interested!
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 pm

I agree that Legoland do need a new coaster but that doesn't make this new Miniland a bad idea. With Atlantis last year and a Hotel this year it would have been very unlikely that they would also install a new coaster. The new Miniland is a fairly low budget addition and also adds to the parks unique selling point. I think it's a fairly good edition and hope that a new coaster is currently being developed for the next few seasons.
ImageImage

scubahood
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:22 am

Lol i'm 26 never been to Legoland heading there in a few weeks you guys are putting me off though

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:39 am

scubahood wrote:
Lol i'm 26 never been to Legoland heading there in a few weeks you guys are putting me off though

It's a good park but unlike the other British parks it's not all about the rides. If you've never been before and you like Lego I can guaranty you'll spend hours looking around Miniland, the creation centre and all the little models around the park. There is also a core selection of rides that are good fun whatever age you are:
The Dragon, Wave Surfer, Atlantis, Pirate Falls, Viking's River Splash, Extreme Team Challenge (if you don't mind getting wet), The Mazes, Several transport rides with nice views and The Harbour Show.

But bear in mind it is a kids park. If you've neither a kid or interested in Lego then the park really isn't aimed at you.
ImageImage

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Legoland Windsor: Hotel 2012/2011 and other rides!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Recently posted on this blog was a large set of photos from within the hotel, showing areas not previously seen except in concept. I may be biased, but some of these pics just look so stunning... getting massively excited now...

Lots more pictures on the blog itself :D

DiogoJ42

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:51 am

:bored: Wow, they've given it the full Bubbleworks wallpaper treatment, eh? I think it's safe to say I have more Lego bricks in my living room alone than are in this entire hotel. :roll: (those who have been to my house will know this is not an exageration)
Last edited by DiogoJ42 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:26 am

DiogoJ42 wrote:
I think it's safe to say I have more Lego bricks in my living room alone than are in this entire hotel. :roll: (those who have been to my house will know this is not an exageration)

Well, y'know, I doubt it (there are 6,000 real minifigs on the reception wall alone), but that aside, does it really matter? The theming is superb, everywhere you look you feel immersed in the whole world of Lego, but at the same time the décor is tasteful. It looks swish, yet fun.

I realise I'm badly biased towards it, but at the same time it seems your badly biased against it for some unknown reason. Think it all went wrong when you saw bricks of different colours being placed together :P
Last edited by Islander on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoJ42

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:17 am

Oh, absolutely mate. :lol: We are each as blinded by our convictions as eachother :P

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Loving the mini-figure wall! They're the same mini-figures you can collect in single packets from most toy shops and supermarkets! I have a few myself and spotted them on the wall!  8)

Johno
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 am

This should have been done a long long long time ago.

AstroDan

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 am

I think it looks good, but this is obviously more a hotel designed for children, rather than suited to all ages like other resorts.

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 am

In some areas it is more designed for children - however they're targetting the business users, with vast amount of conference space and many "limited" themed rooms. God knows what businesses will use lego as their conference hotel, unless they're google or innocent.

Looks alright really, think it still looks a bit bland and plain in some areas, but I imagine pictures don't give it justice. So will have to see in person, wonder if they do decent pricing (like offpeak towers, or chessington) to convince me to stay.

Oh, an additional thing: This year they're expecting to bring in 2m guests. God knows how they expect to do that, that's 400k more than they received last year.

Johno
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:44 pm

I think for businesses its quite an interesting hotel, and is certainly not a very 'corporate' environment.

Blue sky thinkers would probably love it!

Craig

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I wouldn't say the conference area is all that over the top really, it's a pretty standard layout and design to the majority of ones I've been in.

thefatone wrote:
In some areas it is more designed for children - however they're targetting the business users, with vast amount of conference space and many "limited" themed rooms. God knows what businesses will use lego as their conference hotel, unless they're google or innocent.

You'd be very surprised how it's completely the opposite.  It's got a great location close to the M25, and a lot of businesses love to add a bit of a fun element to a conference or workshop.  Take this as an example, what impresses your employees more and gets them upbeat for what could be a difficult meeting or workshop.  Telling them they're off to the Holiday Inn off the M1 or telling them to meet at Legoland?  You only have to look at the likes of Alton and Drayton to see how much themeparks rely on the additional income, especially during closed season when the likes of families aren't as likely to visit.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:32 pm

I feel that they're relying too heavily on businesses for money though - through the numerous recruitment events and through reading/listening to discussions with the hotel management, they're targetting businesses in an almost sense that they're scared/worried that families just won't use the hotel.

Then again, almost the entire of the hotel management haven't stepped foot onto a merlin property before, let alone run one. So, hopefully they'll get the balance right in the end.

monsterdan5

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:15 pm

http://rideguidegroup.com/site/viewtopi ... 48a2#p5062

Live updates today, star wars looks quite good!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk