UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:47 am

An unboxing video (you heard it) of the Merlin Annual Premium Pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOS4L6A4GuM
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

js2592
TT Member
TT Member

Merlin annual pass ??

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:10 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase my very first MAP for me and my partner, I have looked into the different ones on offer and I'm just wondering which you would recommend, I was going to go for the standard but didn't know if it was worthwhile paying a little more for the next one up. I'm from Middlesbrough and we are planning on going to London in May for a few days and then to Alton towers and after that into Blackpool! But because we live quiet far away from the main attractions we would most likely only visit the parks once a season, which is why I thought the standard one would be sufficient. I just don't want to buy it and then be disappointed with restrictions I didn't know about.

What are your thoughts?

coasterchemist
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:12 am

^ Firstly, the Premium MAP gives free parking at all of the parks (Parking at AT is normally £6 per car and I think it's the same at the other parks). If you're not planning on going to any Central London attractions in August or any of the Halloween events and you're only planning on visiting each park once then a Standard pass would probably suffice. With the current price difference between the two MAPs, you'd only need 5 theme park visits to recoup the extra cost just from that so maybe it might be worth getting one Standard and one Premium.

I hope that's helped rather than added to your confusion :)

js2592
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:24 pm

That does make sense thank you, I don't plan on visiting London in August so that's fine, what happens with the Halloween events and the standard pass? Would I have to pay full price to enter if I decided to go?

coasterchemist
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 am

Usually it's just a supplement for entry to these (I believe last year it was either £5 or £10, can't remember which)

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:53 pm

js2592 wrote:
That does make sense thank you, I don't plan on visiting London in August so that's fine, what happens with the Halloween events and the standard pass? Would I have to pay full price to enter if I decided to go?

Alton Towers Scarefest is free with both the Standard and Premium Pass.

For Thorpe Park Fright Nights there is an optional £1 booking fee to guarantee entry for Premium Passholders (not essential but recommended as Thorpe has been known to hit capacity during Fright Nights) whereas Standard Passholders have to pay £5 for a Fright Nights ticket.

Whether this season operates in the same way remains to be seen but this is how it was structured last season.

js2592
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Thankyou Everyone. The Info is appreciated.

coastercallum
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Can anyone tell me if standard merlin pass lanyards are sold anywhere? I have a premium one and my girlfriend has a standard so she didn't get a lanyard and she is very jealous of mine :lol

TheSmilerMan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:20 am

coastercallum wrote:
Can anyone tell me if standard merlin pass lanyards are sold anywhere? I have a premium one and my girlfriend has a standard so she didn't get a lanyard and she is very jealous of mine :lol

Unfortunately standard lanyards haven't been given out for a few years now so very rare, I do however know if you look around on email you may be able to buy her a premium lanyard, that'll do the same job. Even better still get a themed lanyard from one of the parks and just buy a plastic card holder and tadah you've got a personalised DIY pass holder :D :lol

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:30 pm

My annual pass got delivered yesterday! (although only got it today because I missed the delivery)
Really happy with the speed! Ordered it Friday night and it was delivered 11:20 Monday morning!
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

Kraken
TT Member
TT Member

MAP Query

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Just took advantage of the MAP sale and bought a Premium Pass. Chose collection at resort option so the clock does not start ticking until the first day I visit.

What the confirmation email says nothing about is how to gain entry to the Park on day 1. I am assuming the pass is issued at the Alton Towers Box Office [inside the park]. There is no barcode on the email, or last digits of payment card used, so even presenting this + photo ID at the turnstiles does not meet the requirements in the T&C's (which state email, photo ID + payment card).

Does anyone know how things work on day 1 of a new annual pass @ Alton?

NemeJaney
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: MAP Query

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Kraken wrote:
Just took advantage of the MAP sale and bought a Premium Pass. Chose collection at resort option so the clock does not start ticking until the first day I visit.

What the confirmation email says nothing about is how to gain entry to the Park on day 1. I am assuming the pass is issued at the Alton Towers Box Office [inside the park]. There is no barcode on the email, or last digits of payment card used, so even presenting this + photo ID at the turnstiles does not meet the requirements in the T&C's (which state email, photo ID + payment card).

If the theme park is closed, I think you can pick up a pass from either the ticket collection booths on the entrance plaza between 1 and 3pm on weekdays, or you can pick them up from the hotels between 9 and 5 :) you may need to check though just in case it changes or I'm wrong :P

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Kraken wrote:

I believe you pay the entrance fee and then when you collect your pass they pay you back. But I'm not sure if that is only when you buy one, not collecting.
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

addis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 pm

The last time this happened to me, when I had renewed online but my previous printed pass was well out of date, the staff on the turnstiles took me down to the box office to collect the new pass.

They were very helpful and courteous.

TheSmilerMan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:53 am

Kraken wrote:

I am going to assume that as you've said "the clock doesn't start ticking" you won't be collecting your pass until the theme park opens. So in this case go to pre-booked/collections and present the email and that will have a booking number on. They will take this and all your details will pop up on there little computer screen, they will most likely also ask for ID and the card you paid with, this will be connected to the purchase hence why it's not on the email.

Then you will likely receive a ticket that will be one time use only and only able to be printed from the booking once. This will allow you through the turnstiles, giving you access to the Box office and the ability to collect your pass. Let the magic begin...Vote fun...oh wait that was so last season ;)

Xenor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:07 pm

I bought a MAP for the first time this year, a couple of weeks ago in the sale. To get the most out of it I decided I would pick it up at the attraction so the start date is the date I pick it up rather than the date they post it to me.

At the time I was planning a weekend in London in which I would be starting at the London dungeon and decided to set this as the attraction I would pick up my pass. I live in Newcastle so no attraction is local, hence choosing one where I'd be making my first trip of the year.

The problem I have is since I bought my pass my plans have had to change and I want to go to Thorpe Park on my first day in London and do the dungeon the following day as I can no longer dedicate a full day to the theme park on day two of my itinerary.

Is there any way I could get my pickup attraction changed from the London dungeon to Thorpe Park? Or get them to mail out the pass instead of picking it up? I should add that I bought it via the dungeon website.

I know I could just go to the dungeon on the morning before the theme park but the dungeon doesn't open until 10am which means it would be midday by the time I got to Thorpe Park. That's not ideal. I'd rather get to Thorpe Park for opening time.

So yeah has anyone been in this kind of situation before and what did you do?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm

I don't know the answer personally, but you could try asking them via Twitter @MerlinapUK whether it's possible to change the pick-up location or have it mailed instead.

Xenor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:46 pm

I could do, though Twitter tends to be limited in message length. I suppose I could e-mail them.

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:03 am

My first ever MAP Pass came today, First on the list is the Dungeons, Be good to see how much use I get out of it to see if its worth the money, I went for the premium pass due to the car parking which sold it for me!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes, the MAP is good value if you use it a lot. Last year I had a standard MAP and used it 8 times at Alton Towers, twice at Thorpe Park once at Blackpool Tower and countless times at Sealife Manchester. Got the premium MAP this year, the free parking @ Alton Towers & Thorpe Park really sold it to me and the share the fun vouchers look good as well. Hope to visit Chessington with it for the first time in 2016!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!