UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2426
Joined: April 2014
Location: TTSP Forum
Contact:

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 pm

BBC North West has posted a video on Facebook of what ICON will be like to ride.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCNW/videos/1805479446149776/
Image
Image
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm

It is quite spectacular!
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
Katie
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 3683
Joined: May 2013
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Having watched that video I'm not overly impressed by it. It seems to lack some pace, but that may just be because it's a simulation rather than the actual coaster. For me there's just something missing, but at this moment I can't quite place my finger on what that is. 
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2426
Joined: April 2014
Location: TTSP Forum
Contact:

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm looking forward to riding it in the summer, however, could your disappointment be down to there not being much theming or individuality? What I mean by that is that the coaster is intertwined with other coasters. therefore losing impact, especially at low levels?
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2691
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

The only negative that I have of Icon, at this stage, is the relative lack of inversions when you compare it to other megacoasters like Blue Fire and Helix. I really think it could have done with a few more, especially in the second half of the layout. That being said, I think the way it interacts with existing attractions is brilliant, especially Steeplechase and Big Dipper.

The only section that looks a bit too slow for my liking is the inversion after the second launch, but as you say Lakey, that may be down to the fact it’s a simulation.
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Mako's simulation sucked and made the ride look slow, as did Wicked Cyclone's, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it :)

I think Storm Chaser's simulation takes the cake though!

Having seen Icon with my own eyes last weekend, it looks incredible. I definitely think the second half will be stronger than the first (not to say that the first won't still be good). Personally, I much prefer airtime and speedy transitions to inversions so I'm not bothered by the fact that it only has two. Lap bars are what will make this ride.
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2426
Joined: April 2014
Location: TTSP Forum
Contact:

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:14 pm

The second half for me is the bit I am looking forward to the most. It looks quite intense and the thrills will be increased by the lap bar for certain!
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2691
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am

Excuse the quality, but seems the track for Icon is now complete, as shown in this image taken from a video recorded by the Blackpool Gazette.

Image
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Whoop whoop! Testing is not far off now surely.

Still can't believe we're getting such a class ride in the UK.

Here's ICON being featured on BBC News, including an interview with Amanda Thompson:

Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2426
Joined: April 2014
Location: TTSP Forum
Contact:

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm

The excitement is building for ICON now. I'm looking forward to my first visit to BPB this summer, riding this and others. Hopefully, it will live up to expectations! I'm sure it will :)
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3644
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 pm

I agree with Lakey, it just doesn’t seem very... exciting?

The layout is pretty meh compared to what we’ve seen achieved by this manufacturer, and our ever growing expectations. The fact it has no real theme is a shame as these coasters can utilise and increase ride experience dramatically.

It’s great for the UK and I’m sure it’ll be a fun ride, but I won’t be in any immediate rush to experience it, and I’ve never been to BPB!
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Danny wrote:
I agree with Lakey, it just doesn’t seem very... exciting?

The layout is pretty meh compared to what we’ve seen achieved by this manufacturer, and our ever growing expectations. The fact it has no real theme is a shame as these coasters can utilise and increase ride experience dramatically.

It’s great for the UK and I’m sure it’ll be a fun ride, but I won’t be in any immediate rush to experience it, and I’ve never been to BPB!


We must be seeing different rides, each to their own I guess, I couldn't disagree more :P

There seems to be a notable lack of excitement for Icon on TTSP compared with all the other enthusiast forums, I can't quite put my finger on why :?
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2691
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm

MakoMania wrote:
There seems to be a notable lack of excitement for Icon on TTSP compared with all the other enthusiast forums, I can't quite put my finger on why :?


Despite its relative lack of inversions, I still think Icon will be a brilliant coaster, potentially one of, if not the, best in the country. I’ve always wanted to ride a Mack Megacoaster so I’m glad we’re finally getting one in this country.

Who knows, if it’s a success we may see one installed in a Merlin park some time in the future.
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image
 
User avatar
Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 2158
Joined: March 2003
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 pm

The first ride of this type I rode was actually Manta at SeaWorld in San Diego. No inversions and it was absolutely awesome.



Nothing to worry about here.
Image
 
User avatar
theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 526
Joined: November 2012
Location: Suffolk/Dubai
Contact:

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 am

I have no doubt that Icon will be fantastic, but for me, I'm more hyped for Wickerman. Probably because I know that AT are going to theme it more and will be an overall experience ride. With Icon its basically them boasting "The rides theme is itself because its..... Iconic!" Which every time I hear I'm just like  :|
Image
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
 
User avatar
Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: July 2012

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm

I think in terms of excitement, it is because Icon is just a rollercoaster, no theme no real media or PR content just “hey we are building a ride”

Rides in today’s world need to tell a story, much like John Wardley says, with design you’re an entertainer.

If it doesn’t tell a story or aesthetically look wow how can excitement build. For me personally at present Wickerman although it has the weaker layout of the two the hype comes from the marketing and theme. Everything Icon lacks but I hope BPB surprise and pull it out the bag somehow.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Zach wrote:
I think in terms of excitement, it is because Icon is just a rollercoaster, no theme no real media or PR content just “hey we are building a ride”

Rides in today’s world need to tell a story, much like John Wardley says, with design you’re an entertainer.

If it doesn’t tell a story or aesthetically look wow how can excitement build. For me personally at present Wickerman although it has the weaker layout of the two the hype comes from the marketing and theme. Everything Icon lacks but I hope BPB surprise and pull it out the bag somehow.

But BPB is a seaside amusement park, they have never and will never be about theming. They don't physically have the space to extensively theme rides. Parks like Cedar Point and to an extent the Busch parks prove that you do not need to have much theming to be extremely successful. On most forums, the excitement for Icon is much higher than for Wicker Man, but as this is a Towers forum, naturally the inverse is to be expected :)
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: July 2012

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Zach wrote:
I think in terms of excitement, it is because Icon is just a rollercoaster, no theme no real media or PR content just “hey we are building a ride”

Rides in today’s world need to tell a story, much like John Wardley says, with design you’re an entertainer.

If it doesn’t tell a story or aesthetically look wow how can excitement build. For me personally at present Wickerman although it has the weaker layout of the two the hype comes from the marketing and theme. Everything Icon lacks but I hope BPB surprise and pull it out the bag somehow.

But BPB is a seaside amusement park, they have never and will never be about theming. They don't physically have the space to extensively theme rides. Parks like Cedar Point and to an extent the Busch parks prove that you do not need to have much theming to be extremely successful. On most forums, the excitement for Icon is much higher than for Wicker Man, but as this is a Towers forum, naturally the inverse is to be expected :)

Valhalla, one of the worlds best water rides (At its peak), Alice in wonderland, Steeplechase, grand national (To an extent) heck even PMBO has two giant Pepsi max cans to go through. All example of great-good theming at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Not just a seaside amusement park, they are a theme park and as such should have theming. IMO
Image
Image
 
wakey1512
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 56
Joined: October 2012
Location: Grimsby

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 pm

I am and have been quite underwhelmed by this, from the initial reveal I always felt it was a poor mans Intamin. I guess we will only know truly after riding it. No doubt it’ll be the smoothest ride there as at BPB there isn’t a great deal of competition on that front these days.

Having not been in a number of years, are the Pepsi cans still there after the Pepsi Max sponsoring was dropped?
Last edited by Dan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Zach wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
Zach wrote:
I think in terms of excitement, it is because Icon is just a rollercoaster, no theme no real media or PR content just “hey we are building a ride”

Rides in today’s world need to tell a story, much like John Wardley says, with design you’re an entertainer.

If it doesn’t tell a story or aesthetically look wow how can excitement build. For me personally at present Wickerman although it has the weaker layout of the two the hype comes from the marketing and theme. Everything Icon lacks but I hope BPB surprise and pull it out the bag somehow.

But BPB is a seaside amusement park, they have never and will never be about theming. They don't physically have the space to extensively theme rides. Parks like Cedar Point and to an extent the Busch parks prove that you do not need to have much theming to be extremely successful. On most forums, the excitement for Icon is much higher than for Wicker Man, but as this is a Towers forum, naturally the inverse is to be expected :)

Valhalla, one of the worlds best water rides (At its peak), Alice in wonderland, Steeplechase, grand national (To an extent) heck even PMBO has two giant Pepsi max cans to go through. All example of great-good theming at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Not just a seaside amusement park, they are a theme park and as such should have theming. IMO


I've never seen anyone try to argue that BPB is a themed park before :P

Just because the park is an amusement park doesn't mean that there can't be any theming. Obviously dark rides are going to have theming as without it they are redundant.

Steeplechase, Grand National & PMBO have zero theming (sorry, pepsi sponsor cans aren't theming lol), but they don't need it in the first place.

If Pleasure Beach decide to go with theming, then that is great, but if they don't then that is also fine as BPB is an amusement park. Personally I'm expecting the station to have a nicer finish than it currently does, perhaps a bit of rockwork here and there and some good landscaping.
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests