UK theme parks from another point of view!

mathmos
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Dreamland Heritage Park Margate megathread

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 am

I thought the current owners of the park had to fund the restoration of the scenic following the fire as it is grade listed?

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 am

I would have thought that a lot of insurance money would be involved in the railway rebuild.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:01 pm

I think you're right about the insurance actually. The total investment from grants is still absolute buttons for starting a seaside amusement park, even with the land and rides thrown in for nothing (no idea how much they actually cost).

Nick Laister has hinted that they've thought about a long term from-scratch rebuild.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about a Virginia Reel though - as awesome as it'd be to try one, remember as a new-build it wouldn't benefit from any grandfather rights which the genuine article might, and I'm not sure you could go about adding restraints without changing the design beyond recognition. Stranger things have happened though.

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Jimmy Godden died yesterday, wasn't he one of the owners of the land wanting to build houses, I'm sure I saw his name in the paperwork somewhere.

mathmos
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:26 am

The enquiry into the CPO of the Dreamland site has finally been granted approval.
This is great news and the park can now start the wheels in motion to make the heritage park a reality!
It will be an awesome gem  when it is up and running and a nostalgia lovers dream.
There are plans to add many more rare and classic vintage rides to the already impressive list.

Deleted
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Following a public enquiry earlier this year, Thanet District Council has today (Friday 17 August) received approval from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government for the compulsory purchase of the Dreamland site.
The council will now work to secure title to the land, which it must acquire before access to the site can be granted and work can proceed. Securing title to the land will open up a funding package of over £10 million to deliver the project.

Leader of Thanet District Council, Cllr Clive Hart, said: “I’m thrilled with today’s announcement. This is a key step to unlocking the regeneration of the Dreamland site and means we can start to move in the right direction, in partnership with The Dreamland Trust, to progress the future of the site which has been vacant for a significant amount of time.

“Dreamland is such an important asset for Thanet, and for thousands outside of the area, so we’ve always been clear that doing nothing is simply not acceptable.

“It’s taken a lot of hard work and determination to get to this point, with the council spending more than £1 million on carrying out urgent repairs to the neglected heritage assets.

“I’m thrilled that the Secretary of State is confident in our plans to help secure the regeneration of Dreamland, and today’s announcement moves us closer to delivering this greatly anticipated amusement park.”

Chair of The Dreamland Trust, Nick Laister, said: “The Dreamland Trust is delighted that the Secretary of State has backed our plans to reopen Dreamland as a major seaside visitor attraction of regional and national significance. Along with our partners, Thanet District Council, we were confident that our plans would be found to be robust, deliverable and in the public interest. The Trust was very pleased to support the council in its efforts to secure the site to enable us to implement our vision, which has been shown time and time again to be the development that the people of Thanet most want to see happen.

“The resident