UK theme parks from another point of view!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The new BBC Worldwide partnership- what might we see?

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:51 am

Although I wouldn't want a Dr Who ride, I know it is popular, or at least was when I watched it ( David Tennant Era). Also you run the risk of not appealing to some people with any theme. Look at Charlie, that theme would put some people off. Some people dont like Shrek, They still used it. I'm a Celeb would put people off, Saw, even CeBeebies Land would put off some young children who watch other channels.

mark_h
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The new BBC Worldwide partnership- what might we see?

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:55 pm

If they are going to licence IPs from the BBC, or other sources, I hope they develop properly themed rides that take advantage of the IP. If theming is merely a name, logo, colour scheme and a few sound effects, as Hulk seems to be, then this is not particularly worthwhile.

An example of this is the old Thunderlooper with a Superman Theme.

It will be a challenge to design an immersive ride that will be enjoyable and understandable for all customers (dedicated fans, casual fans and people with limited exposure to the IP, those who hate the theme would be harder to convince). The ride needs to tell a stand alone story.

Dr Who has the potential to be a brilliant dark ride. A story could be written to fit a ride layout similar to Duel with a tight claustrophobic environment with a new scene round each corner. Some large immersive space scenes would add a lot to the experience, unfortunately these would also require a significantly larger show building increasing the cost substantially.

I would be wary of using IP strongly associated with specific individuals as reputations can change rapidly (unfortunately Yewtree seems to be one of the BBC's strongest IPs at the moment).

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Merlin sign deal with Accesso

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:21 am

Accesso has signed a seven year agreement with Merlin to provide ticketing and e-commerce across across Merlin attractions. Following a trial period of the company's passport system at seven attractions it will now be rolled out over the rest of the Merlin attractions worldwide.

LONDON (30-July-2015) – accesso® Technology Group plc (AIM: ACSO), the premier technology solutions provider to leisure, entertainment and cultural markets, today announced the signing of an exclusive long term agreement with Merlin Entertainments Group Ltd to provide its fully hosted onsite ticketing and eCommerce solutions across the operator’s global portfolio.

The initial contract term is for seven years and includes the installation and deployment of the hosted accesso Passport® ticketing solutions. The installation of the solutions will occur across three years and include more than 100 attractions around the world including such recognizable brands as LEGOLAND® Parks, Madame Tussauds™, SEA LIFE and The Eye Brand.

Under a pilot program, the accesso Passport ticketing solutions, which include onsite ticketing, online ticketing and access control, have already been installed in seven attractions across the Merlin portfolio and successfully demonstrated that the solution provides improvements to the guest journey.

“We have a great deal of confidence that Accesso’s next-generation ticketing solution will improve the online guest booking journey for our guests and play a key role in our long term growth initiatives ,” said Nick Varney, Merlin Entertainments CEO. “Accesso is a unique and valued partner and their solution will allow us to provide a consistent, state-of-the-art ticketing experience to the millions of guests who enjoy Merlin attractions around the world.”

“We are proud that one of the world’s largest visitor attraction operators has selected Accesso as its global ticketing partner to improve the guest experience and streamline their operations,” said Tom Burnet, accesso CEO.

Quotew taken from the Accesso Website.

After a bit of research I've also found that they do other products, but I can't work out if it's the q-bot system or the reserve and ride system. Can someone please help me clarify

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin sign deal with Accesso

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:35 pm

I believe that Accesso work with Six Flags on their virtual queueing system. Not 100% certain though.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals in need!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:41 pm

After doing a bit more research i have found that they are beind both Q-bot and Reserve and ride. So this partnership means either Q-bot will be rolled out, Reserve and Ride will be rolled out or a mixture of both.

And yes. Accesso does indeed work with Six Flags as well as Walibi Holland

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 pm

What's Q bot?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:15 pm

sum1mad wrote:
What's Q bot?

Q-bot is the fastrack system at Legoland.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 pm

I've got a feeling this may be a fast track replacement, I'd imagine in a year or 2 it will be at parks, is this going to be at Alton or not does anyone know?
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Presumably, if it's going to go to 100+ of their parks, it seems pretty likely. :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Accesso Passport is more focussed on the ticketing side of things, with Reserve N Ride and Q-Bot being forms of another product that the company offer, although it can probably all can be integrated. Thorpe Park have been one of the sites trialing at least the 'OnLine' part of the system, although I expect they've also been using the other aspects too.

If you really fancy reading up on what it is Merlin are introducing, see here.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 am

I kind of hope they keep the current fastrack system though, paying individually for certain rides often is cheaper than Q-bot. I found especially at Six Flags prices for the "Flash Pass" were more than our entry fee.
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:01 am

Depends really, if you go on the same ride again and again when it has a large queue, the q bot would work out cheaper (say 5 pound a fasttrack, around 30-40 pound for a 50% off waiting time. You would have spent the same amount in 6 fasttracks as an queue bot. Then with the queue to you can ride rides with shorter queues in between, and set more rides to use the queue bot on. I've tried pleasure beaches queue bot equivalent compared to a weekend day when I got 13 rides in with no queue bot. I went in the middle of summer and a 40 minute queue was a 20 minute queue for skyforce, and I got a ride on grand national, Big Dipper and the big one in the space of time, and then walked straight on skyforce pretty much. So that's 4 rides in 30 minutes. When the big one picked up a queue I used it on that, 30 minute queue halved, two rides on revolution while waiting. Used it again for skyforce, two rides on Avalanche while waiting, used it on Valhalla and got 2 rides on grand national. Then I used it again on the big one, on a 60 minute queue and got 2 rides on steeplechase and 1 on revolution. It was like this all day, that was just 3-4 hours worth of rides, on a summer holiday when the park was open 10-8, so in the end I got 28 rides, which is mental for summer but it was worth it. That was just 4 hours of riding and I had another 6 hours. I personally prefer the halved queued times to the 90 percent off as I could get it for a cheaper price, and could re ride rides while waiting. If a similar system came to towers I would be very happy (but unless it replaced the current fasttrack queue it would make throughput lower for everyone. I would say limit it to 1000-2000 a day, and 100 people can select a certain ride in 20-30 minutes then it wouldn't be loads of people with full trains of the queue bots. I don't know which system it will be, but if it is rolled out across all rides, I would hope for fasttrack to go.
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Sponsored Rides & Attractions

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:36 pm

I forgot!!! Tetley's Tea Cups @ Thorpe Park (Storm In A Tea Cup - Sponsored By Tetleys)
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:18 pm

The ride which is often called by the sponsor ship more than the name, now ended- the Pepsi max big one. The GP mainly call it the Pepsi max though, even though it's just the big one now :lol irn bru revolution , daily star on Valhalla tizer on traumatizer, the thompsons like their sponsors :lol

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 pm

I think sponsorship can work, when done tastefully.

A prime example is Juicy Drop Pops sponsoring of Dragon Falls at Chessington a few years back. I think the new logo, signage and general little enhancements were tastefully done. But sadly it's something that most parks don't do properly. Fanta on Oblivion and on Magic Mountain at Gardaland being a prime example.

rosco1982uk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:33 pm

If you're in the 30+ age bracket you'll remember Playstation the Ride at BPB. Later to become the Tango Ice Blast.

Now just the Ice Blast.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

More Dreamworks IP's for Merlin

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Spotted this on Screamscape

Gardaland - Semi-Confirmed - (2/15/16) According to a message sent into Screamscape, Gardaland (Italy) is working on adding a "Kung-Fu Panda Academy" themed area, complete with a new Sushi restaurant, some new themeing for the Kaffeetassen ride (Tea Cups), and a new Fabbri spinning coaster to be called "Kung Fu Panda Master".

It would appear, if it gets confirmed, that Merlin seem to be rolling out Dreamworks related attraction in their European theme parks, which also makes me think that this could happen to UK parks. I know Chessington has already had the Penguins of Madagascar show.

Will they add Dreamworks IP's permanently to UK Merlin parks?

ASturge21
TT Member
TT Member

Re: More Dreamworks IP's for Merlin

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Unfortunately I feel that Merlin will start going more down the IP route as they have had Sonic and Cebbebies as IPs at AT and Derren Brown at Thrope. I think merlin are now relying on established brands to pull in the crowds. The next major investment at AT will be interesting to see if it will be an IP and if it is Merlin will clearly have a different direction.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Merlin General Discussion

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:16 pm

In light of the dreadful events of the shootings in Orlando - prompted by two gay people showing affection to one another - Merlin have lit the Orlando eye in rainbow in tribute to those who lost their lives, and to the singer who was shot in Orlando two nights ago. I respect Merlin greatly for this, these events were truely unnecessary and heart breaking. My heart goes out to the families. I would expect everyone would join in saying Thank You Merlin.

Photo credit to Attractions Magazine.
Last edited by Owen on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin General Discussion

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:23 pm

One thing I do love about Orlando eye is the constant lighting it up- always is something new