UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin to enter usa theme park market

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:01 pm

The title to the thread is misleading, it implies Merlin will be entering the market rather than just being your opinion on the matter.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Merlin to enter usa theme park market

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 pm

They have already entered the USA theme park market. Legoland Florida and Legoland California Resort. They are Merlin owned.
Even the good can fall from grace

nemefan08
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Will Merlin enter the USA theme park market?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Yes but legoland could be scene as its own brand. Im mean ones like alton towers and thorpe park, where the gp have know idea without searching it up.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Honestly, i don't think they would. There is already 3 major brands out there i can think of of the top of my head. Busch Gardens, Disney and Six Flags. Merlin wouldn't stand a chance in my opinion.
Even the good can fall from grace

Vanessa Feltz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Legoland isn't seen as it's own brand, It's very well known that Merlin operate the Legoland parks. You literally can't not count the Lego parks as part of the Merlin Group, It'd be like saying that Tesco Express isn't part of Tesco cos you know it's not 'pure'.

nemefan08
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Yeah but legoland is probaly better known as owned by lego to the gp. merlin should just go ahead and try it. They already own the uk
so they should try it, nobody really cares who owns paeks.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I very much doubt they have the capital available to build a theme park from scratch. It's one thing to buy/make midway attractions but actual parks cost a whole lot more!

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Season of Scares

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Does your perfect Halloween leave you tickled, excited or terrified? Whichever it is, and wherever you live, Merlin's 31 Worlds have something for everyone – including yoooooou!

Take your pick...

http://www.seasonofscares.co.uk/

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Season of Scares

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:13 pm

It's an interesting website, in that I can't really see the point of it?

It's nice but it only seems to exist to get people to sign up to the Merlin Newsletter.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:16 pm

As already mentioned, Merlin already own the Legoland parks and are developing a midway complex on International Drive at the moment. I don't think Merlin have the capital nor will-power to go toe-to-toe with Disney, Universal, Seaworld Entertainment, Six Flags, Cedar Fair etc.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:01 am

Merlin have the legoland parks and if they do open non Lego parks they will only have 2 as the uk is merlons biggest theme park country and there's non in Scotland or Northern Ireland, they only have 4 parks the italian parks and legoland parks as far as I'm aware and are not planning to unless a big earning existing park is up for sale.
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Well they know that the theme park market in Orlando is just Disney and Universal you only have to look at Pics of Legoland Florida and many days the park is dead. But they know that families during the busy summer months will want to go something else instead of queuing hours for 1 ride so will go to the sea life centre,Orlando eye and Madame tussuards.

lucozade
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:52 am

Why enter a mature saturated market when they could take a HUGE piece of Asias rapidly growing market. Chinas OCT and Haichang make up 4th and 10th in the world for most visitor numbers.

I would love it if merlin bought ocean park in hong kong, its awesome!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:05 am

I reckon in 10 or so years, when their current parks are sorted on pulling in the crowds, thats when Merlin can start thinking.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin using their parks as IPs

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:22 pm

I don't know if I like this idea or not, and I can't really see the parks going for it beyond what's already been done. Although they're all part of the Merlin Groups, the theme parks are still very much operated independently and are still competing with each other to win visitors. I think we'll see more Midway Attractions within the parks, just like they've added Sealife to Towers and Dungeons to Warwick Castle - but I don't think it will go as far as a 'Alton Towers' land in Chessington.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin using their parks as IPs

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Its a cool idea, this whole idea of creating little "parallel universes" and is something that is already employed on different levels in parks such in such as in Alton Towers hotel, you have rooms themed to various rides and the crazy golf of AT is themed to different areas of the park. Even when you had Burger Kings and McDonald's, this created parallels with said restaurants through out the world. My problem with this however, is to do with scale...I mean how big should these parallel lands be? This is already being done on a relatively minor scale with Nemesis Inferno (and as someone has already said, with the Sea life centers.) being spun off from the original Nemesis at AT. I like the idea of an Oblivion, (same branding and colour palette) being built at Thorpe or a Stealth being built at AT but you really need 2 to 4 rides at the minimum to class something as a "land" and when you think about how much that would cost when you can make unique rides and themed areas for the same price -you can see why they would do the latter instead. In short I can see a parallel-attraction or 2 happening but not parallel-lands.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The new BBC Worldwide partnership- what might we see?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 pm

coat98 wrote:
nickhutson wrote:
Very good - but you're immediately cutting out the people who aren't fans of Doctor Who.

Where the IP rights may come into play is at Halloween where I can see a Doctor Who walkthrough being extremely possible. 

I am still confident (though have no proof) that the new County Hall attraction is going to be BBC related… it *HAS* to be; there's nothing else they could be doing!

Exactly, as I say, it's extremely improbable, and serves only to share how I, a Doctor Who fan, would do it. I completely realise it's very biased, it's purely selfish. :P

I've just Googled the County Hall thing, if it's BBC, I'm not sure it'd be Doctor Who, due to how the BBC seem to have "anchored" their base of Doctor Who things in the Experience in Wales.

But not everyone like Dr Who, and there is already an experience like that in wales... I would like a top gear thing once all the stuff is over with clarkson.
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Will Merlin buy Drayton Manor Theme Park?

Tue May 12, 2015 7:40 pm

I highly doubt that Drayton would be bought by Merlin, as ATR is very near, but I won't be surprised if Merlin buy another UK park (but not sure what one!!).
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 pm

If they did buy a park then I expect they would keep it separate for a good few years until they built up the park.

Pleasurewood Hills would be good as it is small (and near me ;) )!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 13, 2015 2:13 pm

To me, the fact that its close to ATR makes sense as to why they would buy it. If your gunna loose out on customers at one park, it may as well be to another of your own. However I find the buy unlikely - although I would love them too.