UK theme parks from another point of view!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: London Entertainment Resort - General Discussion

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:00 am

abigsmurf wrote:
Great British Bakeoff Megacoaster

Or maybe a dark ride? Prepare for "Bake Off: Curse of the Soggy Bottom!" :lol

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 pm

[Insert Signature Here]

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Nice, but not as prestigious as the old Paramount one. Has a more contemporary feel to it. It's also interesting to see how prominent London and the UK are featured in the marketing for this resort.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:05 pm

That logo has actually been out a while now, as well as the name 'London Resort'.

Ultimately, I think this name and logo will very much be a placeholder for the planning process. If the Resort goes ahead I fully expect that we will see a different name depending on the new partnerships they form.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:13 pm

The name London Resort has been around since Paramount left the deal. And whilst the name London Resort sounds quite cool in my opinion, I also believe they will change it according to what new licences or deals they manage to get. I can still see how the name London Resort might appeal, especially to people coming from abroad though.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:59 am

I was aware of the new name since the Paramount name was dropped, but I wasn't aware about the logo, Sorry.  :roll:

I'm extremely sceptical that this project will go ahead though and the occasional bit of news suprises me that there are people working on this project everyday. Doesn't mean I don't wat the project to happen though... Any new UK theme park should be welcomed!
[Insert Signature Here]

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 am

I think the more interesting aspect of the article is where it states that “LRCH executives also revealed that partners and intellectual properties would be disclosed by the end of the year”.

If we do indeed get an announcement of several brands and IPs then that will be a reassuring step, however should that not happen, and the submission of the DCO is once again pushed back from Q2 2018, it shall be very hard to sustain any optimism for the project.

Goudurix
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am

lewis97 wrote:
I think the more interesting aspect of the article is where it states that “LRCH executives also revealed that partners and intellectual properties would be disclosed by the end of the year”.

If we do indeed get an announcement of several brands and IPs then that will be a reassuring step, however should that not happen, and the submission of the DCO is once again pushed back from Q2 2018, it shall be very hard to sustain any optimism for the project.

I went to see Kingsman The Golden Circle last weekend and thought how perfectly that IP would fit this park. If they could go after popular British franchises like Paddington, Kingsman and Bond etc alongside the deals already in place with Aardman and BBC this could be really promising.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 pm

The London Resort is just that bit too generic to be viable as a final name to me.

"we're going to The London Resort"
"oh? Which one?"

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm

As reported on SouthParks News, the next round of consultations for the London Resport project have been delayed once again with them now due to take place in the second quarter of 2018 (April-June).

Whilst on the face of it this doesn't seem like a huge delay (they were previously scheduled for January-March), when you consider this round of consultations were originally meant to happen in January 2016 it does raise further doubts as to the future of the project. I really, really want to stay positive about this, and we have had a steady stream of announcements in the past year, however if these consultations don't happen in the spring I am concerned it may mean that the project is much less likely to go ahead.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 am

If they are pushed back again then I think it is game over.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 am

Sadly I’ve already given up on this project, I just can’t see it going anywhere, I’d love to be proven wrong but being realistic it just feels like the people behind it refuse to throw the towel in. With the loss of the paramount partnership no outlook of a new partnership/investor/IP I can’t see it getting off the ground. 

As Justin has said, anymore push backs and it is certsinly the final nail in the coffin. 

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Sadly, I have to agree with the others and say that it's looking very unlikely now given all the setbacks this project has had.  It's a real shame if it doesn't go ahead as I was looking forward to seeing a new park in the UK.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 am

Following on from what others have already said, I have no faith left that we will ever see this project come to fruition.

It is a shame as I really think it could have altered the UK theme park market for the better but from the outset it was clear that this was a very ambitious project, it seems now maybe it was too ambitious.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Delayed. Again. 

I am however going to disagree with what other have said about the project not going ahead... even though we have had too many delays to count, including the Paramount withdrawal from the deal, we have still seen small steps of progression like the partnership with MBNA Thames Clippers, which have to indicate that the project as a whole is moving in a positive direction, surely?
Although these delays are becoming a bit of a frequent occurrence, I'm optimistic that London Resort just want everything to be ready before the consultations begin, and that these delays don't mean that the end of the project is near.

I'm staying optimistic - but I'll admit, things don't look as good as I'd like them to.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 pm

6 months delay but they still plan a 2023 opening.  5 years to get the planning permission sorted, build the transport links minimizing disruption around one of the worst bottlenecked sections of road around London and then to build a water park, theme park and entertainment/event centre....

Seems increasingly tough. 

Look forward to seeing how they've changed it though, it'll be the first we've seen of it without the paramount properties.

8byfire
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 am

New park projects often seem to get announced then never happen in the UK- there have been a few such cases including movie maker tie ins and big new projects that never got built- what's tripping so many of them up? Is it lack of space and planning permission issues, lack of investors or something else. It does get a bit disheartening looking forward to these exciting new projects then never seeing them happen.

We've got some amazing parks in the UK but it still feels like we're playing catch up with some of the major parks elsewhere, even within Europe, as we don't seem able to quite match them but then we are a smaller island nation!

Thoughts?

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Land is expensive, limited in availability, and generally we have neighbours everywhere that are hostile to change and new developments. Our planning laws and protected land do not help either.

I cannot think of a new theme park which has been proposed since Six Flags and Disney looked at a location near Enfield / Watford, north of London.

Do share any others.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:49 pm

I mean I know the Warner Bros Studio Tour in Watford, fairly near to me, had plans to become a universal park, but it feels a little too late now for the land to be used for developments. The site is being used a lot for lots of Warner Bros films like the DC ones. Potentially, it would be a great place for a theme park with the M1/25 and Watford Junction nearby, but annoyingly, it most likely won't happen. I guess it will just be Harry Potter Studio Tour.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
I mean I know the Warner Bros Studio Tour in Watford, fairly near to me, had plans to become a universal park, but it feels a little too late now for the land to be used for developments. The site is being used a lot for lots of Warner Bros films like the DC ones. Potentially, it would be a great place for a theme park with the M1/25 and Watford Junction nearby, but annoyingly, it most likely won't happen. I guess it will just be Harry Potter Studio Tour.

Universal allegedly considered a theme park not too far from this site but it was scuppered because concerns about the wildlife would have made getting planning permission extremely difficult.

The UK was also apparently considered for Euro Disney, can't remember exactly why it didn't happen (seem to have vague recollections of it being that the UK didn't fit the 'euro' image Eisner wanted)

8byfire wrote:
New park projects often seem to get announced then never happen in the UK- there have been a few such cases including movie maker tie ins and big new projects that never got built- what's tripping so many of them up? Is it lack of space and planning permission issues, lack of investors or something else. It does get a bit disheartening looking forward to these exciting new projects then never seeing them happen.

As Chris said. We don't have vast amounts of land suitable for a major theme park and we have very strict regulations (with a very NIMBY minded population). Spending 10million designing a theme park only for plans to get delayed because a local resident pointed out a pond on the site has greater crested newts in it (sightings of a trespasser in wellies with a filled bucket was of course a coincidence).

You'd never get a Disney World situation where Walt was allowed to drain a swamp to build a theme park nor the shady dealings of Disney when it comes to the Anaheim local government in the UK.

Lastly, theme parks are incredibly expensive and very high risk. The London Resort is going to be built on the site where there used to be a water park before it went under.