UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Proposed Paramount Park in Kent

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:08 am

Here's an interesting and somewhat reassuring article about the project's Middle Eastern backers and their motives and commitment to Paramount London. They expect the resort to be profitable after two years, and intend to fund the entire project until 2017, when planning should have been achieved, before looking to the markets for additional funding.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

An informative article about the proposed Paramount Park
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update ... -for-kent/

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri May 01, 2015 7:42 pm

The final set of consultations for the resort have got underway this week, with the most detailed plans yet made available for public examination. SouthParks have summarised the key points in their news article.

As part of the plans some new concept art has been revealed, which I have to say looks very impressive. Although the plans don't contain any ride details, the concepts seem to suggest the developers are aiming for some interesting ideas with rapids and a wooden rollercoaster shown.

The planning application will be submitted at the end of the summer. Things are certainly looking more and more promising for the park becoming reality.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 01, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm going to say, that wooden coaster has appeared in around 6 different pictures, so I think a woodie is on the cards!
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Cobby
TT Member
TT Member

Re: London Paramount - General Discussion

Wed May 06, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm just as excited for this as anyone else however I am concerned on what effect this may have on some of the other parks in the U.K because this may impact them majorly but only time will tell.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed May 06, 2015 9:20 pm

If Orlando can support 8+ theme parks I'm sure London can. The others will just have to up their game!

Cobby
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Baffles wrote:
If Orlando can support 8+ theme parks I'm sure London can. The others will just have to up their game!

Yeah I suppose :)

Kimberley
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 10, 2015 8:00 pm

The Economist have recently published an interesting article regarding the development, highlighting how Disneyland Paris' losses and PortAventura's falling profits could make it difficult for the park to be successful.

Bumpy rides ahead
A surprising investment boom for an industry still not over the last slump

THE Swanscombe peninsula, a wasteland strewn with rubbish south-east of London (pictured), draws few tourists. But if all goes according to a plan announced on April 27th, by 2020 throngs of them will be coming to visit London Paramount, a film-and-television theme park costing £2.5 billion ($3.8 billion). The theme-park business, which earns annual revenues of $7.5 billion in western Europe, is attracting other new entrants. Last July Cinecittà, an Italian film studio, opened its first theme park near Rome. And a giant theme park and resort with 15,000 hotel rooms, also based on Paramount Pictures’ films, is due to open in south-eastern Spain next year.

The developers’ enthusiasm is surprising, given the poor performance of Disneyland Paris, Europe’s largest theme park. Hit hard by the recession and heavily debt-laden, its owner, Euro Disney, last turned a profit in 2008. In October it had to ask shareholders to approve a €1 billion ($1.3 billion) recapitalisation plan. On May 5th it said its losses had shrunk slightly, to €119m, in the six months to March. Such financial woes can be seen across the industry. PortAventura, near Barcelona, the only Spanish theme park making money, said in November that its profits had fallen year on year by 18% to just €13m.

To balance the books, parks are trying to get visitors to spend more rather than seeking to attract greater numbers. Merlin Entertainments has built new hotels at Legoland and Chessington in Britain, and at Heide Park in Germany. Others are trying to appeal to richer consumers. Last month PortAventura opened its first five-star hotel. Since 2012 Disneyland Paris has spent more than €400m smartening up. Burger joints have been joined by new gourmet restaurants. Expensive new rides that take guests on different routes each visit, such as “Ratatouille”, named after a film of the same name, have been opened. And Euro Disney says it has stepped up efforts to market the resort to wealthy Russians and Arabs, who may pay $10,000 or more to stay in the resort’s best hotel suites and enjoy VIP park tours.

According to Euromonitor, a research firm, theme-park visits in Europe have stayed flat since 2011. But its analysts think the strategy of trying to squeeze more out of each visitor will produce returns, and that the industry’s revenues will rise twice as fast as footfall over the next three years.

That does not mean it makes sense to build more parks. London Paramount hopes to draw 15m thrill-seekers a year, but Mintel, another research outfit, reckons that all Britain’s theme parks together will not get more than 17m. The park’s developers may be pinning their hopes on the rising numbers of Asian visitors to Britain. But with Paramount, Disney and Legoland all planning new parks in Asia, it is unclear why people would travel so far for something they can enjoy closer to home.

One reason such grand designs are still on the table is state help. The EU has contributed €16m to Paramount’s new park in Spain. Russia’s government is helping to finance a nationalist-themed park near Moscow. But official handouts are no guarantee of success: 70% of the 2,500 theme parks built in China, many with generous state help, have closed down or are losing money. Their derelict rides and overgrown landscapes should serve as a warning for overambitious developers in Europe.

They raise some important points about the current state of European parks, but I find it particularly interesting how they have highlighted the recent strategies of getting visitors to spend more, of which has been demonstrated many times with Merlin over recent seasons. I'd like to think that Paramount will be a different scenario, as they'll first have to focus on the experience to get visitors in, rather than getting them to immediately spend more.

Whilst it is clear that they are somewhat skeptical about the development, I still have high hopes that it will be successful given its continuous positive feedback :)
Thanks to Danny for the signature (:

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:43 pm

I believe that job applications are currently open, as I know someone who claims they applied for a job for 2020.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:48 pm

That's a bit silly unless it's for the planning team, which would surely have a start date sooner than that.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Baffles wrote:
That's a bit silly unless it's for the planning team, which would surely have a start date sooner than that.

I thought the same, but if you factor in training, it's a bit sooner, but even still that's 3 ish years, supposing that training is 1 year (which could be longer/shorter). They might have done it this early to have the staff number pretty high, and have lots of people ready for training etc.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

As reported on SouthParks' Facebook London Paramount have agreed their first outright land purchase for the project with the aquisition of Bamber Pit - a former landfill site.

This is an incredibly positive step for the project and suggests they are confident of things moving forward and the project gaining planning permission. This land adds to the option agreement they already have for a substantial amount of land owned by Lafarge Tarmac on the Swanscombe Peninsula.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Must be pretty confident they're getting planning permission, they'd be a bit screwed if they didn't get it :lol

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:05 am

The last government already expressed great interest in the project and said it was a key project to the UK. It will get permission granted in some form or another.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Lots of positive news for London Paramount in the last couple of months. A deal has been reached with Teal Energy who wanted to build a power plant on key land needed for the project. They will now find an alternative site. The first outright land purchase has been completed, and there have been some very positive responses to the latest round of consultations. SouthParks news has a good summary of the latest developments :)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:42 pm

The opening date has been pushed back to summer 2021 http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/ne ... hed-43995/

Rita Fan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 am

Paramounts a massive Hollywood movie studio, right? Not very family appropriate, but a Team America: World Police ride would be amazing!
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:26 pm

London Paramount has received its first actual investment of £100 million. In total it looks as though they're looking to raise around £1 billion in investments, whilst also taking out a £2 billion loan to fund the project. A bit more detail is available in this article.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Whilst browsing American theme park news I came across this article on Hollywood Reporter. The interesting bit is the following:

Lionsgate has pacted for attractions based on The Hunger Games, Divergent, Now You See Me and Step Up in New York, London, Atlanta, Dubai and China, while Paramount has licensed its name and IP for a resort in London.

This seems to suggest that Paramount now also has the rights to use those IP's in the park.

CharlesParry
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Alex wrote:
Whilst browsing American theme park news I came across this article on Hollywood Reporter. The interesting bit is the following:

Lionsgate has pacted for attractions based on The Hunger Games, Divergent, Now You See Me and Step Up in New York, London, Atlanta, Dubai and China, while Paramount has licensed its name and IP for a resort in London.

This seems to suggest that Paramount now also has the rights to use those IP's in the park.

I think that article is referring to Thorpe Park (not quite London I know but this is the Hollywood Reporter after all), the Paramount bit is separate.