UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: London Entertainment Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Lastly, theme parks are incredibly expensive and very high risk. The London Resort is going to be built on the site where there used to be a water park before it went under.

Not quite - the 'Fantaseas' attraction was located nearby (closer to the M25), but not on the Swanscombe peninsula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantaseas

8byfire
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 am

I think another factor is probably isolation from neighbour countries/areas, yes you can get to the UK quite easily but we don't have the continuous land mass benefit of Europe/ America etc- think they benefit from therefore having a much bigger / more flexible 'travelling' catchment area, it is perhaps a bit harder to get to the UK versus these other locations.

In some ways it may be a good thing though as it means a lot of parks with their own USP's, identities and character so you still want to get to them rather than just having one or two of preference.

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Nothing really new here but an article in the Sun confirms that the plans will be sent to the government for approval this coming November, and the company are confident that it will be approved:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3057985 ... ent:Travel

This is perhaps the most positive news we have had in a while, we’ll have to keep our fingers crossed! :)

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:10 pm

I wa hoping for something in the first half of the year. I literally live next to the site in swanscome and it would be on my doorstep!!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Danny wrote:
Nothing really new here but an article in the Sun confirms that the plans will be sent to the government for approval this coming November, and the company are confident that it will be approved:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3057985 ... ent:Travel

This is perhaps the most positive news we have had in a while, we’ll have to keep our fingers crossed! :)

Unfortunately that article is dated 10th March 2017 :P

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Hahaha :lol I was wondering why they were still calling it Paramount...

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Omg so it is! :lol

As you were... 8-[

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 pm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/l ... nd-9997861

This has been updated today according to the publish date and the google alert I just got.... 

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Going back to the rumour of Universal Studios London a while back, Apparently one of ThemeParX's guest made a comment two days ago saying...

Interesting that it was posted 2 days before this article... 
[Insert Signature Here]

Katie
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:50 pm

As much as I don't want to burst anyone's bubble with the article from The Mirror, I'm afraid that the article doesn't give us any new information - it's just repeating stuff we already know. Unfortunately we are again at a point when consultations should be happening now but there has been no information forthcoming. Whilst LRCH have all these agreements in principle, these mean little without the formal planning approval, and with the plans not yet anywhere near being submitted I stongly suspect we will have another delay to the opening date, if indeed the project ever happens.

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Ladyofthelake wrote:
As much as I don't want to burst anyone's bubble with the article from The Mirror, I'm afraid that the article doesn't give us any new information - it's just repeating stuff we already know. Unfortunately we are again at a point when consultations should be happening now but there has been no information forthcoming. Whilst LRCH have all these agreements in principle, these mean little without the formal planning approval, and with the plans not yet anywhere near being submitted I stongly suspect we will have another delay to the opening date, if indeed the project ever happens.

TBH I totally agree. Just wonder what seems to be reposting the articles. I don’t think the project is on anyone’s mind so seems a random thing to start reposting. I can’t really see this happening in all honesty. Been talking about it too long now. Shame as it would be about 5mins from my front door

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Once again news that the submission has been pushed back to 2019....

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/n ... in-182238/

It was a longshot to think that this would actually happen before, but now I think that there is no hope. The articles also mentions about how locals were excited but now getting bored of it so chances are planning wont even be granted now. 

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm

I've officially given up on this project. Like the local people, I actually just don't care about the project anymore. It's a shame. London Resort could have been something pretty special for the UK theme park industry. 

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Robert.W wrote:
I've officially given up on this project. Like the local people, I actually just don't care about the project anymore. It's a shame. London Resort could have been something pretty special for the UK theme park industry. 

I am a local person. I was keen on it merely in the hope that it would stimulate the theme park industry and that it might give Merlin a run for its money... due to the size. Merlin as a monopoly on parks, especially in the south/London border. A different player can only spur on innovation and competitiveness between the companies. 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Just looked at their Companies House listing, two complusory strike off warnings and a seemingly revolving door of directors.

Yeah, someone else is going to build houses there.

Qzzb_UK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Great... so nothing interesting happening except for a more congested train every day.....

I just noticed that TTSP have now posted this as news about a hour after I posted the link - so assume that the post informed them of the announcement... 

Thats all you need to know about the popularity of the project, the fact that the news seemed to go under the radar for 24 hours before it was picked up
Last edited by Dan on Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue May 01, 2018 8:04 pm

We were aware of the annoucement yesterday evening, however due to real life, and getting the Land of the Tiger article out promptly, we were only able to get an article out tonight :)

Anyway, I now have no belief that this project will ever see the light of day. As others have said, it was very ambitious and would have been great for the UK theme park industry, but there have been so many setbacks now I don’t see how the project will go ahead, at least not to the scale of the proposed development.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Katie
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Qzzb_UK wrote:
Great... so nothing interesting happening except for a more congested train every day.....

I just noticed that TTSP have now posted this as news about a hour after I posted the link - so assume that the post informed them of the announcement... 

Thats all you need to know about the popularity of the project, the fact that the news seemed to go under the radar for 24 hours before it was picked up

We were aware of the news prior to your post, however due to us all being volunteers and doing our work on TTSP in addition to having full time jobs we could only get the news up this evening, bearing in mind the Land of the Tiger article was published yesterday too.

Sadly I do think this project has had too many delays and setbacks now. This is the first we've heard from LRCH in over 6 months which whilst isn't necessarily unusual with large projects, it is concerning from a project that has been promising a round of public consultations for over two years now. Even if they are still developing plans, they should have enough to consult on which in turn would feed into further development of the plans.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 8:41 pm

I'm not sure there will ever be a better location for a theme park than this. The only reason I can see for this having so little progress is that the people in charge have lost all appetite for the project and are waiting for someone to buy the land off of them.

Ideal chance for Universal to get a foothold in Europe, building a park from scratch rather than buying a struggling one.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Qzzb_UK wrote:
Once again news that the submission has been pushed back to 2019....

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/n ... in-182238/

Is the link still working? I can’t open the article.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”