UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Proposed Paramount Park in Kent

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:58 pm

If anything they're doing a fantastic job at marketing the park so far. It has a definite positive buzz. People are certainly talking.

I think 2018 was their target start of construction date by the way, with a partial 2020 opening and the rest to follow after.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:48 pm

It's been getting some very positive responses from the consultations so far with a significant number of the local public supporting the projects. The latest stage 2 consultation feedback shows that one of the biggest factors people are concerned about is transport and how the developers will put infrastructure in place to deal with the increased traffic.

If planning permission is granted, construction is currently timetabled to start in the winter of 2016 to be completed in time for an Easter 2020 opening.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:50 am

Paramount London have announced on their Twitter that Aardman, creators of Wallace and Gromit, will be involved in the project.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:36 pm

A few more details regarding the Aardman deal can be found in SouthParks' news article

It certainly looks like London Paramount are following their design to feature the best of British. I am slightly concerned this is going to be a park full of different IPs though as this is now the third deal to feature intellectual property (Paramount Pictures and BBC being the first two deals). Whilst I can see the benefits from a marketing point of view - instantly recognisable IPs will attract plenty of people as they already known the brand - I do hope that as the park develops we do see some original concepts too.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Let's hope they don't ruin it, Aardman do some pretty spectacular stuff! (Yes, I am a stop-motion fan)

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:47 pm

So they may steal CBeebies from towers and BBC IP's from Thorpe, and now Aardman from BPB.
What will they go for next, Peppa Pig or Thomas the Tank? :sus:
I'm sure these agreements will annoy the parks directly involved with these companies :lol

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:00 am

It will be interesting to see how agreements with other parks are affected. You may find that certain IPs are restricted to Paramount if they're already in use by other parks.

We've also got to realise that at this stage these are all agreements in principle, nothing is set in stone yet. This means that when any final contracts are signed we could see particular IPs are off limits. It won't be until the park is granted planning permission that we will see more binding agreements in place. It will certainly be intriguing to see what other agreements Paramount reach and how these translate into possible attractions further down the line.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 am

Paramount is a tv and movie studio name so it makes sense that they sign up IP's from British brand names as most of the visitors will be British. I really miss Granada studios in Manchester that was a great place to visit in the 90's.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:32 am

Well i guess they could create an area themed to Aardman with all the characters. It would be quite a good area for families. Also Wallace and Gromit are total legends so this is actually really great.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

DannyG wrote:
So they may steal CBeebies from towers and BBC IP's from Thorpe, and now Aardman from BPB.
What will they go for next, Peppa Pig or Thomas the Tank? :sus:
I'm sure these agreements will annoy the parks directly involved with these companies :lol

I'd be surprised. Merlin etc would have contracted their IPs for a certain length of time, so there would be nothing Paramount could do to cut them short. Look at Marvel Island @ Universal as a perfect example. Disney actually OWN Marvel now, but there is still nothing they can do, legally, to prevent their biggest theme park competitor from using the existing Marvel IPs.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:50 pm

I am guessing that renewing the IP may be harder then in the future. Are they getting rights to all BBC IPs (minus those already in use) or is there just a few IPs from BBC that they wish to deal with??

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:
I am guessing that renewing the IP may be harder then in the future. Are they getting rights to all BBC IPs (minus those already in use) or is there just a few IPs from BBC that they wish to deal with??

At the moment it's only a deal in principle with BBC Worldwide which means the exact details are yet to be determined. If planning consent for the project is granted we'll then see much more detailed agreements put in place which will include which IPs the resort will be permitted to use.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 am

After having a bit of a think, I'm guessing that the Aarsman UP could well be Shaun the Sheep because of several reasons.
1. Wallace and Gromit is in use elsewhere
2. Shaun the Sheep: The Movie was recently released and they *might* do a sequel
3. It's a strong IP and is still shown in TV

That's just my guess though.
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 am

I think you're looking too much in to this. They have chosen Aardman as its British, and they want the park to have a heavy British theme. They will probably have more IP's from British production companies at some point.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:44 pm

London Paramount have today announced a partnership with the British Film Institute (BFI). The BFI will be acting as cultural Adviser to the resort to make sure that British film takes a central role in the new project. SouthParks have published a news article with the details.

This is a very promising partnership. The BFI have a huge role in the promotion of British film worldwide, and will make sure that whatever is included in the resort's entertainment and attractions is genuinely of benefit to the British film industry. With their partnerships with BBC Worldwide and Aardman Animation, the project is certainly building an impressive foundation.

Nathan_Fisher
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:35 am

This piece of news isn't ideal for the project, so hopefully they can get someone else in to run the project.

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/business/blow ... _1_4005871

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:07 pm

It is certainly an interesting development and is building into a serious competitor for Merlin. It will be interesting to see how Merlin react to the development and how much they will invest in their parks over the coming years.

With current cutbacks, could Merlin be strategically planning for the future?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:43 pm

At the Neme21s event Nick Varney dismissed the suggestion that Paramount Park is going to happen. He highlighted that the estimated annual visitor numbers are more than all of those of Merlin's UK resorts put together, the 5,000 roomed hotel seems to be massively oversized, and that those involved in the project have very little experience in the theme park and leisure industry. If it does happen he then went on to say that he would anticipate it failing during its first few years, meaning Merlin could then purchase it at a 'knock down price' - possibly more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.

However, with Merlin Entertainments now a publicly owned company, there is somewhat of requirement of Nick Varney to always portray a confident outlook for the company in order to retain shareholders' confidence. Furthermore, Paramount Park has the potential to be major competition for Merlin, so it would be out of place for him to openly support the project and promote its possible success.

With that said, I am aware that all of Merlin's UK resorts are getting a major investment over the next few years, as something of a precautionary measure. We've already seen this with Thorpe's 2016 dark ride and Towers' 2017 coaster.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Certainly true Lewis. The investments planned however are expected, perhaps with bigger budgets, but I expect them to invest more once building begins on Paramount.

Exciting times ahead!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:57 am

It will all depend how if this park goes the go ahead the Spain park not even been started yet. The last big park to be built was the Hard Rock Park and that's nearly just waste ground again.