UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

The Entertainment Resort

Wed May 06, 2015 9:56 pm

London Paramount is going to be more than just a theme park. Included within the current proposals are plans for a whole resort full of a whole range of facilities and attractions to make London Paramount a true entertainment resort and holiday destination for people from the UK and abroad.

Included in current plans are:
  • A 25,000 m2 Waterpark - stated to be a 'unique visitor experience', and plans state that the area set aside for the waterpark does not include any attached hotel suggesting we perhaps could see a Splash Landings style hotel/waterpark arrangement.
  • A 1500 seat theatre which will be home to West End Style shows
  • Nightclubs
  • Event and conference facilities
  • Business hub
  • 5000 Hotel rooms
  • Retail and Food and Beverage space

To support the resort, up to 14,000 parking spaces will be created, with the possibility of some being in the form of multi storey car parks, as well as a range of other transport infrastructure.

If all this becomes a reality, it will be a fantastic resort, which will offer a range of varying facilities and activities for guests to visit and enjoy. I myself am quite interested to see the type of shows that will feature in the theatre as that is a significant capacity to fill.

What does everyone else think about the proposals for the resort? Is there anything extra you'd like to see?

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Entertainment Resort

Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Maybe a large theatre and an IMAX cinema screen/cinema complex!
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:18 pm

I think they are catering for a very wide range of attractions I worry they have taken too much on, plus the idea is for it to be completed for 2020 isn't it?

London already has a lot of theme park attractions for people to go to and I kinda feel like they are going to be swamped a bit like the effect of having Disneyland in America. The amount of people going into the area each day will be huge, and whilst the money may be coming in in its thousands I expect troubles in terms of traffic in the area. I do kind of feel like they are trying to make a British version of Disneyland and we all know that's always packed and steals the thunder of most other parks in the country.

Is it going to be Merlin? I can't remember, thanks!
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

mark_h
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:02 pm

TheBeast wrote:
I think they are catering for a very wide range of attractions I worry they have taken too much on, plus the idea is for it to be completed for 2020 isn't it?

I think the idea is for some parts of the resort and theme park to open in 2020. Some areas will be under construction or waiting for future development.

I would hope they learn from EuroDisney and not try to open with 5000 hotel rooms from day one with poor occupancy rates.

I myself am quite interested to see the type of shows that will feature in the theatre as that is a significant capacity to fill.

Bigger than a lot of West End theatres. They could try to produce their own shows or act as a receiving house for touring productions which are not already running in the West End.

It may end up being used for conferences, especially in the low season (although the theme park and theatre seasons are roughly opposite each other). Film premiers and events may also use it.

Late night public transport will be important for the success of the theatre and nightclubs as not everybody will want to drive home at the end of the show.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 pm

TheBeast wrote:

London already has a lot of theme park attractions for people to go to and I kinda feel like they are going to be swamped a bit like the effect of having Disneyland in America. The amount of people going into the area each day will be huge, and whilst the money may be coming in in its thousands I expect troubles in terms of traffic in the area. I do kind of feel like they are trying to make a British version of Disneyland and we all know that's always packed and steals the thunder of most other parks in the country.

Is it going to be Merlin? I can't remember, thanks!

I would have to disagree with you there. I think that they've taken enough on, but not too much. I believe that it's a relatively small area, with not too many big attractions. Imo, they can get most of it done in 3-4 years of building - entertainment resort will be fairly easy, a few buildings, a stage, restaurants etc, and the rest shouldn't take too long.

Also, remember that this is a company, their goal will be to dominate the theme park industry and make tonnes of money. However, I think this would be a good thing - not only are we seeing another amazing park, but it will subsequently make all other parks up their game and improve etc, so its win win for us - new awesome park and better existing park. And, I like the idea of something like disney, we haven't exactly got anything of that sort in the UK yet. Yeah, it might always be full, but remember that they will imploy things like Disney did with fastpasses and stuff. As for traffic, I know for sure that it's close to at least 1 motorway, pretty sure it's 2 though, so it shouldn't have a big impact on the local traffic.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Will the parking for this be similar to Universal Florida?
credz to sam!

CharlesParry
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Emporium wrote:

How do you mean "similar"?

My guess is parking would be small and expensive, to try to coax people to use the various public transport links they are putting in (boats from London, trains from St Pancreas etc)

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:32 pm

CharlesParry wrote:
Emporium wrote:

My guess is parking would be small and expensive, to try to coax people to use the various public transport links they are putting in (boats from London, trains from St Pancreas etc)

A multi-story car park.
credz to sam!

CharlesParry
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Emporium wrote:
CharlesParry wrote:
Emporium wrote:

A multi-story car park.

I doubt even Paramount Park themselves know yet. Space doesn't seem to be a premium, and a big, single level car park could be used to create a barrier between the park and the town, you don't want to cram a noisy amusement complex next to residential areas.

mark_h
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Surface parking is much cheaper to build (per space) than multi story parking.

It would make more sense to start with surface parking holding off plans for a multi-story until the demand is there or they need to build on the some of the surface parking sites.

When it opened Universal Studios Florida had surface parking, until the construction of Island of Adventure which increased the visitor numbers and was partly built on existing parking lot.

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 am

that is fine but we already have plenty of theatres, nightclubs, bar and restaurants, retail outlets, and hotels throughout London.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Yes we do, but there is never enough of them. You just have to see how successful Lakeside, Bluewater, the o2, Westfield are etc.

Bear in mind a new 'garden city' is proposed with the Paramount Resort directly in its catchment area.