UK theme parks from another point of view!

RollercoasterRob
TT Member
TT Member

How will London Entertainment Resort impact UK theme parks?

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:54 pm

With Londom Paramount opening, the current UK theme parks will have to up their game to compete! What will this mean for the current UK theme park industry??

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Re: How will London Paramount impact UK theme parks?

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:56 am

It won't because it won't open for a long time

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:00 pm

If it ever does happen (I get increasingly sceptical as the project just seems to be stalled completely at the moment), I think the park hurt most would be Chessington.

There are only a couple of rollercoasters in the original plans, the vast majority of the rides looked family friendly. It was more Universal Studios in style than Six Flags. Thorpe Park will still offer something this park can't give so will be less hurt by it.

That said, it's could help turn London into an international theme park location (much like Orlando is) and boost all theme parks

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Well so far it's impacted the industry by showing parks what happens when you're too ambitious ...

I agree that it could seriously hurt Chessington. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it could be the death of the park. It would be very difficult for long-distance visitors to justify going to Chessington when a park that caters to the same audience but does it infinitely better is just an hour away (and, in most cases, an hour closer).

I think Legoland would still be able to compete (much like Legoland Florida is able to compete with the high-level parks), although some game-upping would be necessary.

This could also hurt some smaller family parks in the south, such as Paultons Park and Adventure Island.
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:12 am

Does Legoland Florida compete with the main Orlando parks? I barely hear it mentioned. In fact, I've noticed a lot of the ticket sites throwing Legoland tickets in for free with other bundles now.

What Paramount should do is provide some genuine competition for Merlin, which they've lacked. Hopefully this will force them to up their game and provide better value for money.

RollercoasterRob
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:44 pm

I see everyone's points as being valid, my own opinion is that while London Paramount will most likely focus on Intelluctual Property owned by them or their partners, I think that THORP PARK RESORT will need to add more one off experiences and probly remove most of the smaller rides and keep building it up to become the "thrill capital" of the UK. I think that the parks could work in harmony as long as they try and cater for different markets. Another point I was wondering on is Cebeebies Land at Alton Towers Resort, as BBC hare a partnership with London Paramount, will BBC not want Alton Towers Resort to remove Cebeebies brands, after all isn't Cebeebies Land bases on Intelectual Property contracts with the Intelectual Property owner, BBC? After the contracts end, would BBC not want Alton Towers Resort to remove its brands so the BBC can be more loyal to London Paramount?

Theo
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:59 pm

First of all, I don't think Chessington will be able to compete with Paramount in the slightest. Maybe Chessington might focus a lot more on the family market due to Paramount being able to add a lot better and ambitious coasters for the thrill market compared to them. LegoLand Windsor, in my opinion would survive due to their good reputation among families. Thorpe Park should easily be able to compete catering for the thrill market. Alton Towers too far away to even compare the two. Paultons, not sure.