From the USA to Australia, talk about what the rest of the world has to offer here.
TT Member
User

Alex

Re: Universal Orlando Resort

by Alex » Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am

Just come across this on Instagram, they've been testing some of the night show. The wave pool also has lots and lots of LEDs so I'm expecting that to gradually turn red as the eruption happens.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUQ6qM8ldvI/
Team Admin
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Fri May 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Universal Orlando have just reveal that The Shining will be joining the Halloween Horror Nights 27 line up. Their reveal video and accompanying description confirms that the house will be based on Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation of Stephen King's novel as opposed to using the novel itself:

“Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining is a horror classic, and now Halloween Horror Nights 2017 invites you to THE OVERLOOK HOTEL. Within its walls, you’ll relive some of the scariest moments ever caught on film. Face the tormented Grady Twins. Experience Danny Torrance’s blood soaked premonitions. And it’s “all work and no play” as an axe-wielding Jack Torrance pursues you through a snow covered hedge maze. This legendary masterpiece is now the most terrifying haunted experience imaginable.”

I completely understand why Universal are basing it on the film adaptation, however it is kind of a shame as, in my opinion, there are some far scarier moments in the book which would work perfectly in a horror maze. It would be fairly simple to use the familiar sets from the film and combine them with the chilling moments from the book. It's also interesting how at the moment there is no mention of The Shining being Stephen King's concept. Even though Stephen King has made no secret of his dislike for Kubrick's adaptation, it's normally the done thing to at least credit the original author of an idea.
TT Member
User

Alex

by Alex » Mon May 22, 2017 4:01 pm

We're now only a few days away from the media event at Volcano Bay and the park is getting there however there are quite strong rumours that the slides inside the Volcano won't be opening with it as construction is still ongoing, this means that the water coaster and lazy river probably won't open either as they flow through there.

Here's a photo from greeny422 on Instagram, it's really going to look amazing once it's totally finished!

TT Member
User

Robert W

by Robert W » Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Awesome picture! The park is better than I had imagined up till now!
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Tue May 23, 2017 7:49 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as amazing as the Volcano looks, the rest of the park looks pretty standard for a waterpark.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals!
TT Member
User

Alex

by Alex » Tue May 23, 2017 1:54 pm

I'm not quite sure how else you are expecting a water park to look?

It's highly themed which beats most of the other parks out there and it's certainly an upgrade on Wet n Wild!

One of the slides is a new design by ProSlide so that's unique compared to other parks at least for a bit.
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Is it highly themed? The volcano certainly is and it looks spectacular, and possibly one or two other attractions as well, but the rest of the waterpark (whilst certainly better than Wet n Wild) looks very much like other Florida waterparks like Aquatica & Adventure Island. The landscaping looks great, but it's not the same as theming.

This isn't even a critique, just an observation. Most people, myself included, don't expect waterparks to be amazingly themed. I'm just not getting the hype that many enthusiasts are showing for this park, that's all :)

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Tue May 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Well we know that all the dining areas are themed (and serve themed food), the kids area is themed, the water coaster station is themed, the staff have themed outfits and there are various large theming elements around the park. You could argue we could theme the supports however we don't even do that for the majority of rollercoasters.

That's highly themed if you ask me...
Fabulous
User

Dom

by Dom » Tue May 23, 2017 6:33 pm

I will admit, I didn't think much of it during its main construction, but now that i've seen ti near enough completed I must say i'm rather impressed but how it looks. I think it looks quite well themed especially considering you can't really theme a water park due to the water. I like it :)
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I'll be sure to have a look at the pictures after the opening later this week, but I stand by my original comment for now. In my opinion, other than the volcano the park doesn't look like anything special. Having said that, I still think it will be the best waterpark in Orlando!

On another note, apparently lots of the major attractions will not be ready for the park's opening this week :(

TT Member
User

Alex

by Alex » Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah I said that a few posts up, everything in the Volcano and the mat racer slide don't look like they'll open. They might be saved to an extent by the poor weather expected in the next few days however that'll just slow down construction even more.
Fabulous
User

Lee

by Lee » Tue May 23, 2017 10:22 pm

I've had a back and forth about Volcano Bay for quite some time during construction. I love Universal and I think it is one of the best providers out there at the moment, but I really struggled to see how other than the Volcano itself, this park could come together without looking like an upgraded Wet'n'wild.

Then I quickly realised from late construction updates that the park is not meant to be viewed from aerial footage. It is a ground view park and from the guest perceptive it looks simply brilliant. In a similar way to WWoHP, guest perspective is everything in this game.

PS: They built a Volcano on the Orlando skyline. A volcano guys!
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Volcano Bay is now in press opening!

Park Maps

It includes pronunciations for all attractions, which is a lovely touch!

Entrance

Credit to Theme park Adventure.

Krakatau

Credit to Inside Universal.

Credit to Theme Park Adventure.

Credit to Seth Kubersky.

Credit to David Martin.

Tunnel from the Bus Loop

Credit to Attractions Magazine.

POV Video.

Rides and Attractions

Height restrictions

Krakatau Aqua Coaster

Off Ride of first drop.

Queueline over fearless river. Credit to Raising Whasians.

Ko'okiri Body Plunge

Credit to Universal Orlando.

Honu Ika Moana

Riders on the slide!

Kala & Tai Nui

Maku Puihi Round Raft Rides

Credit to TPR.

Ohyah & Ohno Drop Slides

Credit to Chelsea tatham.

Credit to David Martin.

Taniwah Tubes

Credit to TPR.

Credit to David Martin.

Punga Racers

Credit to Seth Kubersky.

Lazy Rivers

Credit to Seth Kubersky.

Off River Video.

Runamukka Reef

Credit to Seth Kubersky.

Resturants

Bambi Jungle

kohola Reef

Credit to TPR.

Dancing Dragons Bar

All rides are expected to open! Volcano Bay is expected to reach capacity for the whole weekend.

Thoughts and Opinions
MiceChat wrote:We are in love with #VolcanoBay @UniversalORL the ultimate water theme park

Cory Disbrow wrote:Some of the slides at #VolcanoBay are far more intense than I was anticipating. So much fun!

Rode the AquaCoaster twice without exiting the vehicle. It's freaking awesome. And much longer than I thought it would be.

gelcys wrote:Volcano bay is looking undeniably cool. In all sense of the word. Can't believe the opening is tomorrow. @UniversalORL #volcanobay

Seth Kubersky wrote:Krakatau Aqua Coaster is open, best/longest water slide I've been on but NOT a dark ride, no show scenes or FX

Wild river was fun but shorter & calmer than expected, no indoor show scenes #volcanobay

(show scenes are expected as part of the lazy river and projections are expected for the Aqua Coaster)

Clint Gamache wrote:Glad to see that (the majority) of theme park fans are enjoying both #VisitPandora and #VolcanoBay - This is what being a fan is all about.

Theme Park Adventure wrote:Aqua Coaster = Amazing. That is all. #VolcanoBay @UniversalORL

Chelsea Tatham wrote:Current ranking of favorite #VolcanoBay rides
1. Krakatau aqua coaster
2. Krakatau aqua coaster
3. Krakatau aqua coaster

Image Sources

Theme Park Adventure

Seth Kubersky

Attractions Magazine

Chelsea Tatham

David Martin

Raising Whasians

Theme Park Review

Universal Orlando Resort

Post will be updated with additional Images.
Last edited by Owen on Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 16 times in total.
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Wed May 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Looks really nice :)

TT Member
User

Alex

by Alex » Wed May 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Cheers for compiling all the images Owen, it certainly looks impressive!
Community Advocate
User

Jack

by Jack » Wed May 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Jesus, it really is the water park to end all water parks
TT Member
User

Robert W

by Robert W » Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Wow! I am impressed! Fantastic pictures! :)
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Thu May 25, 2017 2:47 am

Here's a POV for Krakatau Aqua Coaster!
Forum Leader
User

Danny

by Danny » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 am

Looks like an amazing water park, quite possibly the best in the world! Love the attention to detail and the sheer variety of slides they have. Still not sure that justifies the entry price, but I'd certainly still be visiting :)
Team Admin
User

Chris

by Chris » Thu May 25, 2017 8:28 am

Great post Owen, thanks. Can't wait to visit!
PreviousNext