UK theme parks from another point of view!

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Walt Disney World - Disney's Animal Kingdom

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Unfortunately, latest reports seem to have dubbed Pandora as a failure in terms of business and finance. It seems that there is no interest in Pandora for those booking vacation packages, and the development hasn't improved the guest figures for Walt Disney World as a whole after it's large drop between 2015 and 2016. The main issue is that because the development only seems to be on the radar of Disney regulars, it has cannibalised all 3 other parks with all 3 seeing fairly dramatic attendance decreases in Q 1 and Q2 of 2017. The feedback seems to state that whilst Pandora looks nice, many feel there is a serious lack of things to do and that the rides don't warrant the queue times.

I am quite sad about this really, and it is quite telling of how Disney's have handled their first major IP land (not the best). It concerns me that due to the cold reception to Pandora that after Star Wars we may not see Disney tackle things like this again, due to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train having far more of a noticeable impact and being a smaller investment. This has already effected Toy Story Land with this having less attractions than originally expected.

Let's hope things improve, and if not, that Star Wars has a bigger impact...

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:09 pm

It's a franchise that people have lost interest in, opened years before the sequels are going to come out in. Was always a bit of a strange choice.

The flights of Pandora sounds like an amazing ride to me but "Like soarin but better" is a tough sell for the general public and the River Journey seems like a big misfire all round.

Diagon Alley is stunning, it's crammed full of detail, it's completely immersive and you can spend (a large amount of) money to make the year of any small Harry Potter fan. Pandora at Animal Kingdom is well themed and looks great but it no way captures the imagination like Diagon Alley. Floating rocks are pretty neat but can I get presented my wand (which can be the wand of literally any character in the series, even minor ones) and use it to reanimate a suit of Armour?

Diagon Alley isn't just themeing, it's an attraction in itself. I would say that the Harry Potter lands are good enough to warrant planning a new Florida vacation, I couldn't say the same of Pandora.

If Disney want the Harry Potter money, it's not enough to put you in a land that looks like a film, it has to let kids actually feel like they're taking part in a film. They caught onto this with the Jedi Acadamy and the First Order patrols but I'm not sure that Pandora can give you that same feel.

Star Wars Land has potential but they absolutely have to capture the magic of the films and make people feel they're in it. If the plans for Nintendo World live up to their promise, Universal will continue to give them tough competition.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Should have gone with Beastly Kingdom!

I think it is also a shame, maybe they are hoping that the Avatar sequels will help reignite the film franchise, but I still think it's an impressive land.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Want to be creeped out?

Then take a look at this video showing off the Shaman from Na'vi River Journey without its skin!

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 am

Haha... if I ever need a bionic head I now know who to call...