From the USA to Australia, talk about what the rest of the world has to offer here.
TT Member
User

BULBOUS

by BULBOUS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:37 am

Big Shot on the Stratosphere is scary. It makes a horrible clunk as you reach the top, very unnerving!

Although the scariest of the three rides on top of the stratosphere is the see saw one. You hang quite well off the edge of the tower, and about the third time, you feel like you're actually dropping after it's stopped, because it goes further down on that time. I screamed quite a bit. :P

The other one's a bit crap, TBH - the thrill's over before the ride starts to spin.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

TT Member
User

jdoughtyqpr

Dreamworld Incident

by jdoughtyqpr » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 am

Horrible reports of 4 deaths today on the rapids at Dreamworld in Queensland. Thoughts with those affected :(

TT Member
User

dougjamos

Re: Dreamworld Incident

by dougjamos » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:49 am

You would have thought river rapid rides were one of the safer rides at a theme park.

Could this accident have happened at Alton towers on the river rapids? River Rapids does seem to have a less steep conveyer belt though.
TT Member
User

NemesisRider

by NemesisRider » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:54 am

Current reporting suggests 2 men and 2 women between the ages of 32-40 are dead. Dreamworld and their CEO have offered their condolences to those affected.

My heart goes out to those affected, never good when this happens :(
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

TT Member
User

wamdue

by wamdue » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:59 pm

as ever the news articles provide very little facts about what happened, but its surprising for such a normal ride, that is in nearly every theme park world wide
TT Member
User

Tryst

by Tryst » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:28 pm

A couple of AAP photos have been posted on the Coasterforce forums that show the tipped over boat http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=975978#p975978. There's also reference to a practice of queuing boats in embarkation area.

My own speculation is that, for whatever reason, the boat on the conveyor belt ran into the next boat in the embarkation area and rode up it. That tipped the boat enough that the rubber air-chamber got caught in the large gaps in the belt and levered over. That would explain how two of guests were ejected from the boat as it would have been flipped over very quickly.
Community Advocate
User

Justin

Re: Dreamworld Australia

by Justin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 pm

I've been following this all day; however, my thoughts are with the family!
Such a tragedy! :(
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:51 pm

BBC News are reporting that Dreamworld will reopen on Friday. They still managed to end the article by talking about The Smiler ](*,)

Such a terrible occurance, thoughts with the family.
Ride Count 2017: 83
Ride Count 2014-17: 793

Community Advocate
User

Dan

by Dan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:29 am

Following last months tragic accident on the Thunder River Rapids ride at Dreamworld, the parks owners have announced that the ride is to be demolished "out of respect for the memories of the victims and their families"

TT Member
User

wamdue

by wamdue » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:08 pm

whilst I do hope the hundred other version of this ride are looked at, to prevent a similar accident happening, I hope it does not end up in any of them closing. What has to happen with this one, is different because people died, but the rest should go on.
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:47 pm

wamdue wrote:whilst I do hope the hundred other version of this ride are looked at, to prevent a similar accident happening, I hope it does not end up in any of them closing. What has to happen with this one, is different because people died, but the rest should go on.

This particular rapids ride appears to have manufactured in-house, unlike almost all other rapids at major parks (which are mostly manufactured by Intamin). As such, there are noticeable differences between this and installations of similar rides across the world, making it doubtful that anything major will have to happen to any others.
Ride Count 2017: 83
Ride Count 2014-17: 793

Fabulous
User

Dom

by Dom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 pm

It has been confirmed by Ardent Leisure, the operators of the park, that Thunder River Rapids will be dismantled after the devastating incident last year. I think this is the correct move by the park and although it is sad to see a water ride go from the world, it needed to go.
Previous