UK theme parks from another point of view!

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member

Black Hole's Big Sister

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 pm

I was browsing RCDB earlier looking at space mountain mission 2, but looked at some other space mountains aswell. There is one in a park called "Diverto" that is of a JetStarIII model. It has a very similar style tent as the black hole (but bigger):

It dosent have the steel framework round it like the BH though, but its still a tent! (Im guessing the framework in on the inside)
So I just thought I`d share this with you to see what you make of it :mrgreen:

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.

jdselby1983
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Black Hole's Big Sister

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm

Almost certain this is the new beast which used to be situated down by nemesis. Practically identical to black hole? Clearly it didn't have the tent at alton towers but looks awfully similar to the old black hole tent pre-x sector days.

DiogoJ42

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:04 pm

:shock: That's just creepy!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Complete with it's own Enterprise.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

That'll be due to the tent being supplied with the coaster itself. It wasn't an Alton Towers addition.

DiogoJ42

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:22 pm

What, so did all Jets Stars have the option of a tent then?

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 pm

As far as I'm aware it was an 'optional extra'...

DiogoJ42

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Hmmm, I wonder how many others had it then? I'm guessing not many.

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Found this somewhere on the web:

Space Mountain Mexico appears to be built under a giant fumigation tent in front of a cheap knock-off of Sleeping Beauty Castle. Like the original Space Mountain, many fans have wondered what the ride looks like with the lights on, and what better light than that provided by the sun. Space Mountain Mexico used to be the Tornado at Alton Towers. Alton Towers, which purchased the coaster after a heavy night of binge drinking and QVC watching, sold the machine to Divertido after the English park realized what it had done. Whoever had the bright idea to stick Divertido's new coaster in a fumigation tent and name it "Space Mountain" should be named an honorary Imagineer.

Scary but for the wrong reasons.

Here, the excellent staging of Divertido's Imagineerciόn department gives the entire experience a distinct rape room quality. No expense was spared with the fluorescent lighting on Space Mountain Anaheim's non-union equivalent. Unfortunately, in 2004, despite massive fan backlash that included an Internet campaign called "Save Space Mountain Mexico," the ride was sold to Salitre Magico in Columbia, though there is some question about whether or not it actually got there. For more information about Mexican roller coasters, please visit Montanarusa.com, Mexico's most thrilling and extreme web site.

Since when did alton have a ride called tornado? :?
More here: [url=http://redskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/06/space-mountain-around-world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://redskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... world.html[/url]

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:28 am

No. If you notice the link is actually to the 'Beast' Rollercoaster. It's called Tornado at the park which owns it now.

Also, that website isn't meant to be taken remotely seriously...

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 am

I'm pretty sure they just saw the Black Hole when they came to view The Beast and copied the idea. I've definitely not seen any other JetStars with tents and there's nothing about it on Schwarzkopf Coaster Net.

In any case, Space Mountain's tent must have been significantly taller since The Beast was a JetStar 3 (Jumbo Jet) model, which had an extra tier compared to the earlier JetStar 2 model used in the Black Hole.

Rick
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 am

I was searching the internet for an answer to the same question - did all jet stars have the option of a tent?

The conclusion here seems no, because only two Jet Stars are mentioned: a Jet Star II - Black Hole - in Alton Towers and a Jet Star III - Space Mountain - in Divertido, the former Beast of Alton Towers.

But I'd like to mention Black Hole at the Dutch theme park Avonturenpark Hellendoorn (RCDB) which was a Jet Star I and had a tent too... Not the same shape, because the Jet Star I did not feature this spiral lift hill, but still a tent.