UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: SeaWorld Orlando

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 am

I have always thought the Kraken did look a bit cheesy. Hope they do a good job.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Kraken Unleashed has started testing with the VR pouches. Looks the same as Galactica's system. Far from perfect but better than Six Flags' attempts. Kraken eel has been smashed as well:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Midway_Mayhe ... 2579824641
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

nemefan08
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm glad they are doing it similar to Galactica rather than the six flags method which is much slower from what I have heard. Then again the speed of operations really does come down to the staff I guess!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 pm

The Nursery's really coming along nicely now and the new logo has been revealed. Credit to Stand With SeaWorld for these images.

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 pm

I doubt anyone on here will care but I'll post this in the spirit of detailed reporting :lol

The Pilot Whales have been moved from Dolphin Theater to Shamu Stadium.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Got to admire the detailed reporting and thank you for doing such a great job, but its fish (and bigger fish) So it probably isn't getting my attention. But when we start seeing construction on Infinity Falls, than my attention span on this park will become better :lol
Even the good can fall from grace

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm back with another SeaWorld Orlando update, just some general bits and bobs first then I'll do some new coaster speculation at the bottom to keep y'all properly entertained:

First off, I think I forgot to mention this but a few weeks back SeaWorld Orlando got a brand new park president, Jim Dean, fresh out of Busch Gardens Tampa. Jim has lots of experience and will help in the continued target of shifting SeaWorld from a mainly animal park with a few rides to a park that is 50/50 animals & rides.

Second of all the park have confirmed that the Pilot Whales will soon be able to be seen at select times at Shamu Stadium's underwater viewing area.

Thirdly construction has now begun on the new FlameCraft Bar set to open this summer on the lakeside. Part of Seafire Grill has been cleared already, this is just going to be a beautiful location to sit back and relax!

(Credit to SeaWorld Parks Rock)

So here comes the coaster speculation, based partly on what I think, partly on common sense and partly on stuff I've been hearing. We know that Mako was originally intended to be built at the opposite side of the park, behind Bayside Stadium, passing over the parking toll booths and education pavillions. This is a great space for a new coaster and lends itself to a nice out and back layout. After the huge success of Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa, the company may be looking to add a multi launch coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, something which the park currently lacks. The ride would likely open in 2020 or 2022 (dependent on how quickly they want to, or are able to get rid of Wild Arctic and replace it with a better dark ride.) As for a manufacturer, Intamin or Mack Rides are the two most likely choices.

suffolkjames
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 02, 2017 6:27 pm

MakoMania wrote:
I'm back with another SeaWorld Orlando update, just some general bits and bobs first then I'll do some new coaster speculation at the bottom to keep y'all properly entertained:

First off, I think I forgot to mention this but a few weeks back SeaWorld Orlando got a brand new park president, Jim Dean, fresh out of Busch Gardens Tampa. Jim has lots of experience and will help in the continued target of shifting SeaWorld from a mainly animal park with a few rides to a park that is 50/50 animals & rides.

Second of all the park have confirmed that the Pilot Whales will soon be able to be seen at select times at Shamu Stadium's underwater viewing area.

Thirdly construction has now begun on the new FlameCraft Bar set to open this summer on the lakeside. Part of Seafire Grill has been cleared already, this is just going to be a beautiful location to sit back and relax!

(Credit to SeaWorld Parks Rock)

So here comes the coaster speculation, based partly on what I think, partly on common sense and partly on stuff I've been hearing. We know that Mako was originally intended to be built at the opposite side of the park, behind Bayside Stadium, passing over the parking toll booths and education pavillions. This is a great space for a new coaster and lends itself to a nice out and back layout. After the huge success of Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa, the company may be looking to add a multi launch coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, something which the park currently lacks. The ride would likely open in 2020 or 2022 (dependent on how quickly they want to, or are able to get rid of Wild Arctic and replace it with a better dark ride.) As for a manufacturer, Intamin or Mack Rides are the two most likely choices.
Very interesting! I agree that a multi launch coaster would be the next step for SeaWorld Orlando. If this were to happen, surely Intamin have got to be manufacturer due to the success Cheetah Hunt has been at BGT? Some sort of marine habitat theme could work really well (location within the park could limit this somewhat though) as I think heavy theming of rides will allow SeaWorld to compete with Universal once the shamu shows have finished. The next few years will be very exciting for SeaWorld what with Infinity Falls, and the years following that will be no exception! It's great to have a local like you out there keeping us Brits "in the loop". (No pun was intended!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Mako no mistake I'm not local, I'm just in the know with a lot of what happes at this park as I know locals and staff, plus it's my favourite park so I like to stay informed :)

I might be local (Tampa) in a couple of years though :P

And Dom, you didn't have to wait long for some Infinity Falls action ;)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 08, 2017 3:32 pm

SeaWorld has filed a trademark application for Kookaburra Aviary which could form a part of the newly themed realm surrounding Infinity Falls:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeaWorldvisi ... 7617522689

Alternatively, we could have got this all wrong and it could be for Busch Gardens.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am

Just a few quick updates today :)

Dolphin Nursery is rising rapidly now for a late May or early June opening:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coastercrew/ ... 2395141120

Also, team members have started to ride Kraken Unleashed whilst construction on the station as well as new area theming continues:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SoCalCoaster ... 9549296640

I don't have a picture but groundwork has progressed rapidly on Infinity Falls, the area is now completely flattened!

Just as a side note, I'm hearing that the Orca Encounter may actually be arriving in Orlando in 2018 as a second new attraction alongside Infinity Falls, we had always expected that it would come to Orlando in 2019 so stay tuned for more updates!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I read earlier Sea World has been suffering a lot recently with 15% less visitors compared to this quarter last year. Sea World has made a net loss of $60+ million in the last quarter. The only real good news is annual pass sales have increased by 6% but apart from that, Sea World is not doing well.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:
I read earlier Sea World has been suffering a lot recently with 15% less visitors compared to this quarter last year. Sea World has made a net loss of $60+ million in the last quarter. The only real good news is annual pass sales have increased by 6% but apart from that, Sea World is not doing well.

This has to be taken in context as the easter break moved into the second quarter this year and attendance through April in 2017 is actually higher than in 2016 :)

Also, most theme park companies including Cedar Fair & Six Flags operate at losses during the first quarter, that's nothing new.

As is true of so much in today's world, it's worth doing a little background/context research before believing sensationalist headlines. Things are improving for SeaWorld now, hence why the share price was up after the first quarter announcement :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 11, 2017 11:50 am

An interesting update today.

Some of you may know that Aquatica houses rare Commersons Dolphins. In 2016, SeaWorld announced that these dolphins would be the last of their kind at Aquatica due to a limited gene pool. The animals were put on birth control much like the Orcas are since the decision to end the Orca breeding program. Ringer, one of the Commersons Dolphins at Aquatica is now pregnant and due to give birth any day now. This has prompted SeaWorld to release a statement saying that if the same sort of 'accident' were to happen with the Orcas, they would not terminate the pregnancy (which would be totally inhumane). Many of SeaWorld's Orcas will be sexually active for at least the next 35-45 years, meaning there's quite the chance that there may be one, or more 'accidents' during this timeframe.

Also, here is an article discussing some of the elements that will contribute to Kraken Unleashed:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... story.html

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 pm

This tweet has some great photos of continued progress over at Kraken:

https://mobile.twitter.com/thrillgeek/s ... 0304146432

Meanwhile Dolphin Nursery construction is also hotting up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/thrillgeek/s ... 1941648384

It's been quite obvious for a while now but I can now confirm that Whisper, a Beluga Whale at Wild Arctic is currently pregnant and due this summer. Whisper was born at SeaWorld San Antonio before moving to SeaWorld Orlando in the last few years where she is currently housed with Naluark, a large male Beluga Whale identifiable by his striking white colouration who came to SeaWorld Orlando from Mystic Aquarium in 2016. This will be the first Beluga Whale birth in Orlando in over a decade and is part of the North American Beluga Whale breeding consortium that aims to prolong breeding within the current zoological population in order to delay their extinction due to a limited gene pool. The consortium comprises of all three SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Antonio & San Diego as well as Mystic Aquarium, Georgia Aquarium, Shedd Aquarium and also Vancouver Aquarium. However, the ability of Vancouver Aquarium to house Beluga Whales is currently in question, meaning that the consortium could decrease to just six facilities.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun May 14, 2017 11:08 am

Kraken Unleashed VR must be getting close, as creative have been spotted riding with VR!

Credit to Wild Gravity Travels!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Owen wrote:
Kraken Unleashed VR must be getting close

June 16th! See 5 posts up :)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun May 14, 2017 1:38 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Owen wrote:

I'm specifically talking Kraken Unleashed VR, not the attraction as a whole! ;)

I'm personally most excited to see the squid!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Owen wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
Owen wrote:

I'm specifically talking Kraken Unleashed VR, not the attraction as a whole! ;)

I'm personally most excited to see the squid!

Ah I see.

Agreed, the squid will be the best part! Can't wait to see what they do with the station & queue line as well!
Although personally I am much more excited for Dolphin Nursery and Electric Ocean.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 18, 2017 5:03 pm

BREAKING

Seaworld Orlando will be adding a Sesame Street Land by fall 2022!

I haven't heard any more information at this time :P

news from Thrillgeek
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!