UK theme parks from another point of view!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SeaWorld Orlando

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:24 pm

Burniel wrote:

I like the idea of less queuing, but 5 minutes for Mako on the front row was a bit alarming to see, even if it was only 10am. :P

Ikr, it's like nobody in the park realises Mako exists until after the 12pm One Ocean :lol
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:38 pm

Florida parks including Disney, Universal, SeaWorld & Busch Gardens have begun to provide free mosquito repellent to guests "out of an abundance of caution" as the Zika virus spreads.

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 pm

The Orlando Sentinel reports...

The Orlando Sentinel wrote:
[John] Manby (SeaWorld CEO) said SeaWorld Orlando will get two new additions next year and an existing one will be re-marketed. He did not say what the additions would be.

The top rumours at the moment are -

Dolphin Cove Refurbishment
Dolphin Cove Refurbishment With New Ride
Sea Rescue Attraction
New Shamu Happy Harbour Attractions
Wild Artic Refurbishment

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:51 pm

Yeah, Dolphin Cove was supposed to be closing in a few days but for some reason the closure has been postponed until January at the earliest.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Discovery Cove recently welcomed FIVE bottlenose dolphin calves to their pod!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... story.html

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:31 pm

A good article from Behind the Thrills, but their opposition to the Orca Encounter is getting tedious now, they need to accept that times have changed! Also, I'd like to point out that SeaWorld Orlando experienced a 4% increase in July attendance, but this is not mentioned in the article.

http://www.behindthethrills.com/2016/09 ... -for-2017/

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:06 pm

I thought this article was pretty cool, never seen anything like it before!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... video.html

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:36 pm

SeaWorld Orlando will announce their 2017 plans this Tuesday :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:44 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... story.html

Also, here is a run down of all the major new attractions at SeaWorld Entertainment parks for 2017, including two of SeaWorld Orlando's additions:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/ex ... um=twitter

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:53 pm

For those who cannot load the link (I had issues at first, not sure why), here's what will be coming to SeaWorld Orlando in 2017!

New Food and Drink

Flamecraft Bar - May 2017

A new bar is to be added next to the SeaFire Grill.

New Shows

Electric Ocean - Summer 2017

This show will include bioluminescent lighting, fountains, live performances and fireworks! The water elements of the show will take place on the water at Bayside Theatre.

Mystery Show In Nautilus Theatre - May 29th 2017 until September 4th 2017

A new unnamed show will open in the Nautilus Theatre.

New Festivals

Seven Seas Festival - 2017

Yet another food festival is to be added to SeaWorld Orlando. This has been going on at SeaWorld San Diego and San Antonio for a while and it is now being adopted by Orlando as well.

Dolphin Nursery Refurbishment - 2017

Dolphins Nursery will receive a refurbishment, including new underwater windows allowing guests to see the dolphins below the surface, new informative digital displays and a new slide out lifting floor for easier access to the dolphins.

New Experience - 2017

The park's oldest rollercoaster, Kraken, is set to (unexpectedly) become a VR coaster in 2017. This will be central Floridas first VR coaster, however guests will have the choice to experience it with, or without VR. The experience is fully immersive experience (visuals and audio) with headsets attached to the train - like Galactica at Alton Towers, however SeaWorld claim to be developing one of a kind tech for the attraction. Guests will venture on a deep sea mission with the Kraken and a host of other animals. Kraken will also receive a slight overhual, with new entertaining videos and theming added to the attractions queue.

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:03 pm

*Sigh*

I was waiting for this obsession to pass. VR on roller coasters is a debate that could be discussed until the cows come home. As for Kraken? That's a surprise. I thought the coaster made a good filler attraction to kill some time before a show. From next year the queue will be horrendous! =; Lets just see how it goes...

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:20 pm

The headset is Samsung Gear VR, however, unlike Galactica this has an over top strap and elastic so that there is no faff to tighten the headset and it shouldn't dig into your nose.

Photo credit to TPR.

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:14 am

Not keen on the idea of adding VR to Kraken, it's such a good, solid ride experience without it. It just seems like a cheaper way to offer something new because the other parks are getting investments. But I'll reserve full judgement until I've tried it- not been on Galactica yet! :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 am

Despite what we all say about VR, the GP seems to love it!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Kraken absolutely doesn't need VR. I can't wait for this gimmicky fad to end. I don't think it'll impact queues too drastically though as it's always been practically a walk-on every time I've been.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 am

I personally have no issues with this as it doesn't seem like the entire ride is being re-crafted to be completely based around VR like another ride we know...

I'd rather have the choice than not, as long as wait times aren't drastically increased!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Queues shouldn't be an issue. I've never seen Kraken above 15 minutes.

tyrex
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:30 pm

Just got back from Orlando. SeaWorld x 3 visits.

Mako is a reasonable coaster, albeit ruined by the unnecessary trim on the airtime hill #3. I'm surprised existing reviews rate it so highly - Shambala in Port Aventura is a lot more fun. Very smooth and re-rideable though, and the queues were non-existent despite the park being busy. Themeing of the area is excellent, too bad the UK parks can't reach this level of attention to detail.

Agree with the comments about the VR on Kraken, it's a disappointment fad but one I suspect will not continue once the parks start to suffer with the technical & load time/extra staff requirements it brings. To be honest, although Kraken is a good coaster, it gives me bad headaches so either way it doesn't work for me for more than a couple of rides.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Mako is ranked so highly because most people who ride it have never been on a B&M Hyper before. It's like a British fan of Dive coasters saying Oblivion is the best coaster they've ever been on when pretty much everyone who's been on a significant number of Dives would laugh at the idea.

As someone who rode Mako this past August as my first ever Hyper, I have no shame in saying it's my favourite coaster in the world. I am clearly a massive fan of airtime and speed (this is shown by my top 5: 1 hyper, 1 woodie, 2 launched coasters and only one coaster with any inversions whatsoever) and Mako combines airtime and speed better than any coaster I've had the opportunity to ride.

I did notice the trim. The ride would obviously be better without this, but it's not as if the subsequent hills are stripped of all their airtime.

Oh, and passionate Mako speeches aside, VR on Kraken neither excites nor annoys me. As MM has said, queues won't be an issue (I walked on in mid-August) and it's optional, so the main ride isn't ruined for others. What Kraken really needs is a Hulk treatment, shame SeaWorld don't really have the money.
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 pm

^SeaWorld definitely have the money. They are a massive company, that own much more than just the SeaWorld parks. However Kraken really doesn't need to Hulk treatment, it isn't rough, the theming is still lovely in the queue. It really doesn't need improving at all tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.