UK theme parks from another point of view!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SeaWorld Orlando

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Kraken's not rough? Maybe I just got a really bad ride on it then :P

Although SeaWorld have the money to theoretically do it, I doubt they're quite in the position to spend the same amount of money as a brand new B&M on an existing coaster. There's quite a gap between being a big company that can afford B&M coasters and being Universal, who can throw ridiculous amount of money at a single pre-exisiting ride.
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Burniel wrote:
Kraken's not rough?

It's not silky smooth but it's not very rough either, I find it kind of in the middle. The company does have the money (just about :lol) to give it the Hulk treatment, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals in need!

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:51 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Burniel wrote:
Kraken's not rough?

It's not silky smooth but it's not very rough either, I find it kind of in the middle. The company does have the money (just about :lol) to give it the Hulk treatment, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

It won't happen anytime soon because it doesn't need to be done anytime soon...
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:50 pm

I can't say I've ever found Kraken remotely rough to be honest. It's the best floorless I've been on. Admittedly, I've only been on 2, but I easily rate Kraken above Bizarro.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:07 am

It depends on each person really, for some it may be rough for others it may not be. Like me with Nemesis, I've came off with bruises previously but others still find it to be super smooth! :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:33 pm

To be fair to the ride, I rode in the second back row on an edge seat, which wasn't exactly the best recipe for smoothness. It also probably didn't help that it sits alongside Mako and Manta, two fantastic, smoother (and newer) B&Ms. It seemed very rattly, which was what got to me. In retrospect, I wish I'd tried the front row too. Apologies for the confusion.
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:57 pm

SeaWorld will be closed tomorrow due to the approaching hurricane, all emergency procedures have already been activated including transportation of outdoor aviary birds to an indoor location as well as a huge park wide safety check to secure all "loose articles" if you will to prevent them from flying into animal habitats. An emergency team will be on site at all times consisting of members of the veterinary, animal training and aquarium teams to ensure the safety of all animals at all times.

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:42 pm

SeaWorld have today announced that Tilikum, the orca at the centre of the Blackfish controversy, has passed away. The following post was published on the SeaWorld Cares website.
The Life and Care Of Tilikum At SeaWorld

The SeaWorld family is deeply saddened to announce that one of its most well-known orcas, Tilikum, has passed away. Tilikum passed away early this morning, January 6, surrounded by the trainers, care staff and veterinarians that provided him around-the-clock world-class care.

Like all older animals, Tilikum had faced some very serious health issues. While the official cause of death will not be determined until the necropsy is completed, the SeaWorld veterinarians were treating a persistent and complicated bacterial lung infection. The suspected bacteria is part of a group of bacteria that is found in water and soil both in wild habitats and zoological settings.

Tilikum’s veterinarians and caretakers delivered various treatment regimens over the course of this illness, which consisted of, among other things, combinations of anti-inflammatories, anti-bacterials, anti-nausea medications, hydration therapy and aerosolized antimicrobial therapy.

While today is a difficult day for the SeaWorld family, it’s important to remember that Tilikum lived a long and enriching life while at SeaWorld and inspired millions of people to care about this amazing species.

Tilikum’s life will always be inextricably connected with the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Dawn Brancheau. While we all experienced profound sadness about that loss, we continued to offer Tilikum the best care possible, each and every day, from the country’s leading experts in marine mammals.

“Tilikum had, and will continue to have, a special place in the hearts of the SeaWorld family, as well as the millions of people all over the world that he inspired,” said President & CEO of SeaWorld Joel Manby. “My heart goes out to our team who cared for him like family.”

Tilikum became a part of SeaWorld’s family 25 years ago. Estimated to be about 36 years old, Tilikum was near the high end of the average life expectancy for male killer whales according to an independent scientific review.

Tilikum was not born at or collected by SeaWorld. He came to us from Sealand of the Pacific in Canada. SeaWorld has not collected a whale from the wild in nearly 40 years, and this past March we announced the end of the orca breeding program effectively making the whales currently at SeaWorld the last generation of orcas under human care.

Here are the answers to just some of the questions you may have about Tilikum:

What happened to Tilikum?
We’re saddened to say that Tilikum faced some very serious and chronic health issues that he was not able to recover from.

How old was Tilikum?
Tilikum was estimated to be about 36 years old, which, according to independent studies, is slightly older than wild male killer whales live in the region where he originated and similar to males from other locations.

How many killer whales does SeaWorld care for now?
With the loss of Tilikum, SeaWorld now cares for 22 orcas at its three facilities in Orlando, San Antonio and San Diego.

Was Tilikum born at SeaWorld?
Tilikum was not born at or collected by SeaWorld. He came to SeaWorld in 1991 from Sealand of the Pacific in Canada. SeaWorld has not collected a whale from the wild in nearly 40 years.

Will the killer whale shows stop?
The One Ocean show at SeaWorld Orlando will continue as scheduled. SeaWorld announced in March 2016 that it was introducing new and inspiring orca encounters. Learn more by visiting SeaWorldCares.com/Future.

How are the other whales responding?
The rest of the whale group is doing well and are behaving normally. It is not uncommon for the animals to continue to behave normally after a group member leaves the pod.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you Lewis. I feel physically sick. It was expected, but that doesn't make it any easier. Despite what some may have you believe, at 36 Tilikum was an old male Orca, the average life expectancy for the Icelandic population of Orcas is 30 years. I can't believe I just saw him this past July. RIP Tili, you inspired a generation to care for our oceans and were a beacon in the darkness for so many of us. You will never be forgotten. Rest in peace Tilikum.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:08 pm

I really don't know what to really think about this and the creature. Never seem blackfish but from what I have seen the animal conditions are rather poor. However, the sea world videos show everything to be good so I cannot decide who is lying or not bring truly honest. I can only hope the animals are treated well but I fear this is not the case. One can hope sea world will focus on more of the amusement park side for the parks, than have the animals in shows.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 pm

I will try to adress your concerns in the next couple of days, it's too difficult for me at the moment. I just need a day or two out of it all.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:22 pm

My issue is there is nothing online that is not boast towards one side so I cannot have a proper opinion

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:25 am

As far as I am aware there are allegedly a few untrustworthy facts within the Blackfish documentary although I personally think the whales should be kept in larger areas. It's a shame that Tilikum died but due to me not working with the animals or at/with SeaWorld I have no personal connection with him so I'm not as affected by this news as some. Although thankfully he had a long and evidentially healthy life. :)

Whilst I don't believe seaworld is a bad company by any means I am very glad they announced they will be putting more focus into the theme park side of things back with the Mako announcement as it's becoming quite irritating and sad to see people judging those who go to SeaWorld due to the fact they don't like the attraction.
Last edited by Owen on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:38 am

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:
My issue is there is nothing online that is not boast towards one side so I cannot have a proper opinion

I found a document that was put together disputing almost every second of Blackfish a while back that I might try and find again, many things in that movie weren't actually fact, or close to it, as it was made out to be. I heard somewhere that the documentary became massively anti SeaWorld after the parents of the trainer that was killed refused to give any negative word about the company due to the fact they knew their daughter cared a lot for the whales and loved her job (However, admittedly, I don't know how true this is). The only statement that I agree with having watched it is that the animals need more space as it seems SeaWorld do a damn good job of taking care of their animals throughout the company. :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:26 pm

I've tried to answer some concerns here instead of clogging up this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=41399&p=852168#p852168

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:10 pm

After a couple of tough weeks I'm sure everyone will be thrilled to hear that I'm back doing SeaWorld updates for y'all!

So, what's new in Orlando?

Well the Dolphin Nursery habitat (near the front of the park just by Manta) closed in early January so that construction can begin on it's complete transformation and upgrade ready to open again this summer! The salt water has been drained and is usually stored in containers over at Discovery Cove when this type of work happens. The first bits of work are now taking place on the habitat roof!

Over in the Sea Garden area towards the back of the park many markings have appeared suggesting that new development is coming to the area. This is unusual for me as I have heard nothing and have absolutely no idea what could be happening here but it's looking like whatever it is will open in 2018. With them just having opened Mako in 2016 I can't see them getting another major rollercoaster just yet but who knows :P

In other news I'm told that one of Kraken's 3 trains has now gone in for major work as part of the regeneration of the ride for this summer.

Lastly, the park have announced that as part of the new Electric Ocean event this summer, the popular show Shamu's Celebration: Light Up the Night will return for another year! The event also sees the return of the 10pm park close every day between mid June and early August.

Mako in the dark :love:

Ride status update:

Antarctica ride open weekends & school holidays only. Penguin exhibit open 7 days per week.

Journey to Atlantis closed for refurbishment & maintenance until March.

Sky Tower still down whilst rare replacement part is installed, could reopen as early as Easter.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Indeed, these marking were spotted a little while ago and it's rumoured to be adding a new coaster in 2018 with the majority hoping for a MACK family launched coaster much like at San Diego.

Although a new dark ride is also expected to make its way to Seaworld Orlando soon so it could be relating to this development. :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:20 pm

You've triggered my memory Owen, I do remember that rumor now! A Mack family launch coaster would work very well at SWO (as would a larger Mack launch coaster in my opinion.)

As for the dark ride, the below concept art shows some sort of dark ride transit system going through a Dolphin habitat, it is believed that this was the park's original intention for 2018 however for some reason it has been cancelled or delayed. Dolphin Cove was scheduled to close in September last year however this did not happen.

I do hope that Wild Arctic leaves the park or is refurbished in the near future, the ride portion of the attraction is so dated and I'd hope that it is replaced in the near future with a new dark ride and a spruce up of the Beluga Whale, Seal & Walrus habitats perhaps.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:55 am

Screamscape is reporting that SeaWorld Orlando's 2018 attraction will be some sort of River Rapids ride, presumably from Intamin. Whilst this surprised me at first, I have come to think that it will be a fantastic new attraction at the park. The climate of Florida definitely suits this sort of ride and as such it will be very popular. Journey to Atlantis is the park's only current water ride so another one is needed! It would also make sense as Orlando is the only SeaWorld park without a river rapids attraction with Shipwreck Rapids in San Diego and Rio Loco in San Antonio.

Also, Screamscape are reporting that the Blue Horizons dolphin & acrobat show may be on its way out of Orlando and will be replaced by a more educational (but not less fun!) show like Dolphin Days at SeaWorld San Diego. This isn't much of a surprise and is something we've expected for a while.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Makes sense about the Rapids - but with Kali and Bilge-Rat Barges they have some serious competition!