UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Dubai Parks & Resorts

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Visited today and did the whole park including Step Up in 2 hours. The Hunger Games area has a long way to go.

It's really disappointing that these rides are still not ready.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Dubailand and Dubai Parks & Resorts

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:01 am

The 20th Century Fox World park has been more or less dead in the dirt since it's announcement at the end of 2015. Buzz has gone radio silent and there has been no movement as far as construction. Fox apparently was originally planned to be an entire land at Motiongate Dubai joining the likes of DreamWorks Animation and Sony Pictures Studios. However, Fox dropped out of the IP running with plans to make an entire theme park in the region. So it is highly unlikely that Fox Studios will be part of the Dubai Parks and Resorts development. This open IP space at Motiongate Dubai was filled by Lionsgate. Considering how the park is slated for opening next year and no construction has started, its pretty obvious that it has ether been delayed or cancelled.

Interestingly enough, the location of the park was to be adjacent to the original location of Universal Studios! Maybe this part of land is cursed for no park being able to be built there! :lol
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:06 am

Just found this......

This plan has obviously changed, with where Six Flags is now going, but hey, more parks to come!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Very optimistic! Huge as it is.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 pm

](*,) They seriously need to stop expanding.....

First Legoland Hotel in Middle East to open in Dubai

The hotel, a collaboration between Dubai-based leisure and entertainment company DXB Entertainments PJSC and Merlin Entertainments Group, will be the seventh Legoland Hotel in the world and will come complete with disco elevators and Lego modelled rooms.

The hotel will be located next to the Legoland theme park in Dubai Parks and Resorts, and while developers have not announced a time frame for completion, the design is said to resemble the playful nature and Lego-themed international chain of hotels.

Lego storylines and characters will adorn guest common areas and rooms, and the hotel will be fitted with disco elevators and a castle play and adventure area which will provide for an immersive experience.

The 250-room hotel is being built on 300,00 square feet of land and will have easy access to Legoland Dubai and Legoland Waterpark.

Legoland Hotel Dubai is the second hotel within Dubai Parks and Resorts. The addition of the Lego themed hotel, along with Lapita Hotel, will bring the total hospitality offering at the destination to more than 750 rooms.

I'm actually quite worried about this, a rumour is going around that about 150 employees have been sacked, from ride ops to the heads of projects, this apparently is due to the parks not becoming profitable, even in its current timeframe. So please DPR, slow down.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:36 pm

From what I read the project is only 40% owned by merlin with merlin taking charge of the hotel's operations.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:52 am

DPR have released statements on how well the parks have been performing from its opening to the end of 2016. The resorts budget was $2.7 billion (9.9 billion AED), so if it made 74.5 million AED ($20,283,147), considering they make the same amount all the time, they only need to do it another 133.11 more times until they break-even! Which, if you do the maths will take them 22 years! :lol

Hopefully they will get more visitors in the future though and considering that there were moments where not every park was open, its guaranteed this will change.

They have also released an opening schedule for the remaining attractions at the parks, I find it a bit mean how they have completed 2 attractions in the How to Train Your Dragon area yet are refusing to open it until April!

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:16 pm

theparklifekid wrote:
DPR have released statements on how well the parks have been performing from its opening to the end of 2016. The resorts budget was $2.7 billion (9.9 billion AED), so if it made 74.5 million AED ($20,283,147), considering they make the same amount all the time, they only need to do it another 133.11 more times until they break-even! Which, if you do the maths will take them 22 years! :lol

Unfortunately that's revenue not profit so they've not actually recouped any of the cost of the resort as they made a loss during the period!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 pm

The Lapita hotel well help massively.

But they really need to get the remaining rides open as the customer satisfaction can't be that great considering the entry pricing. You can literally do all three parks in a day still, and there are maybe 3 or 4 rides for teenagers in the whole resort.

At least the rapids is now open!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRC1-ehw3A

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Theme Park Review managed to get a BTS tour of the upcoming Capital Bullet Train coaster, they managed to get a few cool close up pictures!

View of the ride

Launch track

Good old Mack airtime hills

At the beginning of the ride a backwards launch into a vertical spike happens

Credit to Theme Park Review on twitter (more pics available there)

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Quick update on the Lionsgate/Hunger Games area of MotionGate, from my last trip to the park.

This is a good view of the coaster from outside the park.

On the inside of the park, this banner is now blocking the entrance to Lionsgate.

However, if you watch Step-Up, you exit to a path with a better view of the area. This building will be where the Panem Arial Tour ride is going.

Maybe this is will be the entrance to the Capitol Bullet Train coaster. Also I believe that those steel beams will hold a massive Mockingjay Pin.

Coming together very nicely and should be ready very soon!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks for the update. Not long now.

Loving the look of the air conditioned trams by the way - much better than the temporary coaches!

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Dragon Gliders has opened along with the How to Train Your Dragon section of MotionGate. The Shrek dark ride has also opened as well. Meanwhile in the Bollywood Park, 'Don: The Chase' had also opened. This means that all of 'Phase 1' of DPR has nearly been completed, just Hunger Games to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQgaf5Sigo4&t=0s
MotionGate have also released this video on Dragon Gliders.

A friend of mine went on the ride and he said it was a 'game changer' and one of the best rides in DPR! Not sure when I can make it down to the park, but hopefully soon!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Good to hear. Arthur at Europa is superb so hopefully this will be too.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:21 pm

There is currently a rumour going around that Universal Studios is in talks with Meraas, (developers and owners of DPR) to return to Dubai, in DPR.
This is suggesting one of 2 possible things.

1. Universal Studios Dubai will open up as the 5th gate in Dubai Parks and Resorts (which I find unlikely considering Motiongate is the movie park of DPR)

2. Universal Studios will be part of an expansion for Motiongate, having its own dedicated section of the park (slightly more likely). 

I guess time will tell, however this is a rumour so just take this with a pinch of salt.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:27 pm

POV of Dragon Gliders and Shrek dark ride!

The POVs for the final rides in phase one of Motiongate have been released! I haven't actually watched them because I want to save the surprise for when I next visit, as I've heard it looks really good! What do you think?

Dragon Gliders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0km4LeSBRkA

Shrek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lastiWIUWCc&t=237s

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

The Hunger Games/Lionsgate area of MotionGate is finally due to open soon, most likely at the end of this month. This area home to 2 rides including a Mack launch coaster, and means that Phase 1 of Dubai Parks and Resorts will finally be completed.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 am

Clearly they have delayed the opening so they can advertise it as a new for 2017 attraction already.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 pm

https://twitter.com/methemeparks/status/901122546518687745

Someone has managed to get a video of the Capital Bullet Train coaster testing, not much on the 'bullet' aspect of the name as you can see, however that hangtime on the loop looks good and it looks like a nice fun ride!

Ibizarocks16
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Evening guys, I am off to Dubai in January and not knowing much about the parks I am after some opinions on what park/parks to visit, Its just me and my partner both mid 20s who tend to enjoy the thrill and dark rides.