UK theme parks from another point of view!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
TheBeast wrote:
I don't really understand how the ride could be named "The Wicker Man" considering its supposed to be fitting into the Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon kinda area? Unless they are retheming the area and ive missed something! Not been on for a while!

Any chance somebody can post the link for this promo video mentioned above? (re the "be chosen" stuff) :)

There is a link to it in Phild94's post.

Oh a mention... also thIs

https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/vi ... 341618185/

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Dan wrote:

The name hasn't yet been confirmed but I highly doubt it'll be Wicker Man, despite it being trademarked. I could be wrong though.

I must agree with Dan!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

I think it will be Wicker Man. There is a hell of a lot of evidence that points to it, but as others have said, any and all of us could be wrong!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 pm

I know that all the evidence points towards Wicker Man, but if I'm honest, the name isn't specific enough... it can be too easily associated with other things and not something unique to AT.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 am

Robert W wrote:
I know that all the evidence points towards Wicker Man, but if I'm honest, the name isn't specific enough... it can be too easily associated with other things and not something unique to AT.

This is a a good point, however look at their most famous name; Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, very generic if put into a search engine but remains true to the design concept.

Having said that though the more recent names have been much more specific...

I'm pretty confident that 'Wickerman' or 'The Wickerman' will become the name as I'm pretty sure we found out about the 'The Smiler' trademark just before the sanctuary was announced.

Another point though... if they haven't trademarked another name by now it will be difficult to begin branding/marketing and nothing else in Merlin's trademarked repertoire seems linked in any way to this ride.

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Phild94 wrote:
Robert W wrote:

This is a a good point, however look at their most famous name; Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, very generic if put into a search engine but remains true to the design concept.

Having said that though the more recent names have been much more specific...

I'm pretty confident that 'Wickerman' or 'The Wickerman' will become the name as I'm pretty sure we found out about the 'The Smiler' trademark just before the sanctuary was announced.

Another point though... if they haven't trademarked another name by now it will be difficult to begin branding/marketing and nothing else in Merlin's trademarked repertoire seems linked in any way to this ride.

Though they dont have alot of time they still have a fair amount of time to market it if its not the wickerman.Whatever name they're using has been decided by now and its been trademarked by merlin. I agree with the point about the name the wickerman though.

Colinweir
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 pm

I think/hope something significant about it will come out at Scarefest. The whole "Be Chosen" thing and the scare maze in the theme of it I think is significant. Thewelcoming website may or may not be something. Either way, regardless of its name, I'm looking forward to riding it!

Yappo
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Phild94 wrote:
EDIT: Video available from TT Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/vi ... 341618185/

Ooh, I like the music in that, I wonder if it's any indication of what the actual ride's soundtrack might be like... I just really like the pagan vibe of it, I'm fairly certain that main instrument we're hearing is a hurdy gurdy.
I'm also wondering if perhaps in this new scaremaze there will be clues hidden throughout, written in these runes, that we'll need to look out for and decipher in order to "be chosen" as the first riders of the coaster... just a thought. Gonna brush up on those runes anyway just in case ;)
Accordion-playing pirate.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 pm

So I've seen another advert for "The Ritual" the new movie based on Wickerman and I don't think it's anything related to the ride.

Runes aren't similar and I believe it's also set in Las Vegas, it's a shame as it could've been a really interesting marketing ploy.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Phild94 wrote:
So I've seen another advert for "The Ritual" the new movie based on Wickerman and I don't think it's anything related to the ride.

Nice find however to have a ride and movie co-exist and release/open roughly the same time is very American which Alton Towers isn't. It was simply coincidence we're starting to learn about SW8 while this Ritual movie is being advertised. I'd wager the back story to SW8 is better than the plot of the movie.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

ChessingtonSam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 pm

I've just had a thought. With the discussion about fire and the wooden track, is it possible the fire could come out of the horns as they don't seem to have ends and have been angled away from the track.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 am

The following logo has appeared around the site, however no reference to the name has been posted yet.

Will it be called Wicker Man?

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 am

Here’s an image from TT Facebook!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 am

I didn't add my opinions to the above post but I love the logo, however, I'm hoping the name will be something different to 'Wicker Man' which we know was seen on the trademark application with the logo. Personally, the name doesn't sit right with me, but if it is that then it's fine. Not the greatest choice for a rollercoaster, but I'm still hoping for something a little more imaginative, or even 'Chosen'. Only time will tell!

RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:50 pm

I guess the name will be 'Wicker Man' as the logo is in the shape of a stickman. I have no qualms over that name, how many would've thought 'The Smiler' was a good name at the start? The logo I do like, it's so simple yet effective. As soon as you see it in the future, you'll know what it is for.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Must agree, the logo is brilliant. Let's hope they step up the marketing. The screens have now been updated with the logo (no name yet) flickering between the SW8 logo. New theme music is also playing out of the screens!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Here's a photo of what the screens are showing, posted in the MAP Facebook group - there appears to be a few new runes, which I would guess complete the phrase "Be Chosen in 2018".

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Even though Merlin's ride announcements are made Very Late December or Early January, something makes me think we are very close to an announcement...

Excited :D
[Insert Signature Here]

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Justin wrote:
The following logo has appeared around the site, however no reference to the name has been posted yet.

Will it be called Wicker Man?

Well it's the same logo they trademarked with the name, so yes this confirms the name will be Wicker Man.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Here's a photo of what the screens are showing, posted in the MAP Facebook group - there appears to be a few new runes, which I would guess complete the phrase "Be Chosen in 2018".

Just took a look and I agree, Lewis!

dazza4783, until I see it officially confirmed then anything is possible!