UK theme parks from another point of view!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:55 pm

There is now some new music playing around the TVs too. The music starts off Mutiny Bay/Pirates themed but then gradually starts to turn more tribal. Could hint at a theme that Mutiny Bay has been over-run by some tribe?
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 pm

I believe SW7 had the name "The Smiler" leaked in similar fashion to how SW8 was leaked not long ago. I vividly remember Towers2Go (Remember that channel? good times) reporting on it from the SW7 site which is a fun memory :lol So due to this I am inclined to believe SW8 will be named Wicker Man

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Justin wrote:

dazza4783, until I see it officially confirmed then anything is possible!

Just out of interest, given all the info we have seen, trademarking of this logo with the name "Wicker Man", what else do you think it could be called?
I guess it is testament to how well they hid those extra inversions on The Smiler's plans that we could get all the information that has been leaked/revealed so far and people still think that it is all false. 
To me it seems that all of this info has been given to us because they know the actual marketing isn't going to be aimed at us. Bare in mind that the video with the youtubers had to explain what "SW's" are, and all of the "hints" that the coaster is going to be made out of wood. We know all of this, these videos and other marketing is not aimed at us. The marketing is most likely going to be like Th13teen's was. And why wouldn't they do it again seeing as it got them record visitor numbers. Only this time they have already given details to the people that are going to go looking for it, so there won't be the same sort of backlash as there was to Th13teen being made out to be something it wasn't. 
The marketing will most likely be aimed at getting more new visitors to the park. We are going to go and ride it anyway regardless. 

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi dazza4783, 

I believe anything is possible. Alton Towers and Merlin sometimes throw out curveballs to throw people off the scent, especially when enthusiasts look into plans closely and take particular parts as gospel. I am very much an enthusiast who awaits official confirmation from Merlin Entertainments and until this has happened, then anything is possible! As I've said in various posts, I've never outright said that it will not be called 'Wicker Man'. While the logo has now been confirmed, officially no name exists and it is open to speculation, but in answer to your question, I think better name choices are 'The Chosen' or 'Chosen'.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Justin wrote:
Hi dazza4783, 

I believe anything is possible. Alton Towers and Merlin sometimes throw out curveballs to throw people off the scent, especially when enthusiasts look into plans closely and take particular parts as gospel. I am very much an enthusiast who awaits official confirmation from Merlin Entertainments and until this has happened, then anything is possible! As I've said in various posts, I've never outright said that it will not be called 'Wicker Man'. While the logo has now been confirmed, officially no name exists and it is open to speculation, but in answer to your question, I think better name choices are 'The Chosen' or 'Chosen'.

Fair enough. I suppose it is like Schrodinger's cat, until Towers confirm it the ride can be thought of as both being called Wicker Man, and not being called Wicker Man.
I do think "Be Chosen" is just a tag line though, as in being chosen as a sacrifice to the Wicker Man. Just like "Get Corrected" is/was, as in getting corrected by The Smiler.  
Last edited by dazza4783 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 pm

That is very deep :) It also saves disappointment too, although one thing is certain, it is another coaster and that I welcome!

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Justin wrote:
That is very deep :) It also saves disappointment too, although one thing is certain, it is another coaster and that I welcome!

Me too. I like the fact also that John Wardley says this will be an immersive experience not just about the ride transit system. Sounds like we are getting what enthusiasts have been asking Alton Towers for for a long time. A good solid ride, no gimmicks, well themed, and made from wood. Proof that they do listen to us.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 pm

The logo is now included on the Scarefest map, with text being changed to the new font being used too...

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Is SW8 still under Gloomy Wood on the Scarefest map? I can't work out from that image

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm

The SW8 website has updated today featuring the ride's logo (also seen on some drapes in The Welcoming, this isn't much of a spoiler as they are clearly visible from the Skyride), the runes saying 'Feed the flames' and 'Be Chosen in 2018' at the centre and bottom of the page respectively. The signup page also features this message. Exciting developments ahead for the marketing!

Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:39 pm

On the back of what Capt Barnacles just posted this is what you get once you’ve signed up:

It seems to indicate that some have already been chosen, therefore it’s more likely to be a cult rather than a newly found tribe.

On a totally different note...

I know I’m really clutching at straws but I suppose this page is for speculation....

Would be interesting if they pulled some aspects of the Hex storyline into the ride... like cursed wood etc

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:46 pm

It should also be noted the directory is no longer altontowers.com/SW8, but rather thewelcoming.co.uk...

The site also explicitly calls The Welcoming the “official prequel experience”.

The official prequel experience!

Jump into a new world free from technology as an unmissable new scare maze joins the multi-award winning line up at Alton Towers Resort!

The story so far….

The woods surrounding the village of Alton harbor a mysterious group, which until recent sightings were unseen by the modern world. Whispers around the village say that the group are angered by people abusing the world’s natural resources and the rapid advance of technology. Every year the secluded group host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween – paying homage to the earth and celebrating the crossover between the living world and the dead. The group have recently infiltrated the Alton Towers Resort and for the first time are allowing outsiders to celebrate with them. But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? You’ve been Chosen and are about to find out.

Yappo
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Updated the alphabet with the new numbers, and corrected the L which I'd interpreted wrong from the previous image (where it was very hard to make out).

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Not so much speculation but according to Theme Park Guide, offcuts from SW8 will all be available from towers trading soon -

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm

I want that, How much does it cost? This is the type of merchandise I've been waiting for! 

Got to pick this up next time I visit Towers! :D
[Insert Signature Here]

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Wow! I don't care. Its pointless and unless i see it actually being cut from the ride itself, than I won't believe its from the ride
Even the good can fall from grace

Jcoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:29 pm

They can't mislead the public, if they officialy say that it's from SW8 then it's from SW8

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Owen wrote:
Not so much speculation but according to Theme Park Guide, offcuts from SW8 will all be available from towers trading soon -

I'll be buying!

Jake_0
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 pm

If you look at the alphabet decoder, the logo appears to contain symbols that represent the letters 'AT'... who knows what that stands for ;)
This could mean that the logo may not be used to represent the ride but instead an alternate Alton Towers logo used for marketing like they've done previously with The Smiler and more recently Galactica. Just my guess aha

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:32 am

The new website has feed the flames in runes
Icon Dare To Ride