UK theme parks from another point of view!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm

My gut is telling me this is going to be a fantastic experience coaster. We know Merlin can do theming and think this may be one of their best themed attractions. I'm very open to the voodoo/tribal theme. The queue is going to pass through and around the ride area with no cattle pens - this is a big positive. The relatively long preshow will set the ride up perfectly before entering the station. I wouldn't be surprised to see audio on the lift hill either (whether that's a launch or not). The plans show that the track actually passes through a theming element, I believe his to be a large wooden figure - The Wickerman. Just thinking about passing through this at speed is exciting me. I'm even anticipating fire effects at some point. Please don't bash this ride because of the specs or the plans -it's not the biggest woodie but its GCI and they certainly know how to make a great woodie no matter the size (e.g White Lightning). I can't wait to get more info and see some more construction, bring on the 2017 season!

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I am very optimistic for this ride. I feel if Merlin really push the boat out with theming then this could be one of the best rides on park!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

Benjsh85
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Looking like Katanga Canyon is finally getting a big coaster and a facelift then. Can't see a Wickerman theme fitting in anywhere better or anywhere else for that matter on park. An African / tribal wickerman theme could work really well and not something I envisaged they'd go for. Very excited now.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:11 pm

It'll be nothing like this but I would love to have an entrance like this with fake vines or w/e.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 pm

It would be a little creepy if this was on the entrance if I'm perectly honest! :lol

A little to much detail on the face for my comfort :yikes:

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm

One concern I do have is the amount of tunnels, tunnels are great yes but I think this would be a coaster that benefits from being open, the whole first drop is in a tunnel on the plans and I don't know how I feel about that. An open first drop will definitely look more impressive offride anyway.

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:48 pm

T0mPr1ce wrote:
One concern I do have is the amount of tunnels, tunnels are great yes but I think this would be a coaster that benefits from being open, the whole first drop is in a tunnel on the plans and I don't know how I feel about that. An open first drop will definitely look more impressive offride anyway.

Surely it gives more of a mysterious effect? Dropping in the pitch black will surely catch a few people of gaurd especially if it dives into that hole that's being dug out!

fillc85
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:57 pm

My guess would be the wickerman will be the themeing element and the licence is going to be for merchandise I'd buy a little wicker man. This would be just like they did with trademarking the marmaliser.
Perhaps the marketing will follow a similar path.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 pm

What if they theme the tunnel? Wouldn't be so boring then! That would be great
Ride count 2017: 224!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 735!
Cred count: 65!

Thanks to NemesisRider for the awesome signature!

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Perhaps they could simulate an explosion, maybe as if you were dropping into a mine shaft? Would be sure to get a few people going. It would need some good lighting and maybe some pyro...

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussio

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 pm

There's nothing wrong with tunnels! Going through tunnels at speed on a woodie is great fun! I just feel from on offride perspective it would be more visually appealing without a tunnel from the top of the first drop to the very bottom. Either way these are just from the plans and this could change.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 pm

The tunnels on Balder at Liseberg are pretty cool, certainly makes it feel like you're travelling faster.

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 pm

T0mPr1ce wrote:
There's nothing wrong with tunnels! Going through tunnels at speed on a woodie is great fun! I just feel from on offride perspective it would be more visually appealing without a tunnel from the top of the first drop to the very bottom. Either way these are just from the plans and this could change.

They are noise tunnels. Without them it's quite likely planning permission wouldn't have been granted.

Given how close SW8 will be to the boundary of the park they've had to make steps to reduce the amount of noise generated by the coaster hence the tunnels and magnetic lift hill.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Dan wrote:
They are noise tunnels. Without them it's quite likely planning permission wouldn't have been granted.

Given how close SW8 will be to the boundary of the park they've had to make steps to reduce the amount of noise generated by the coaster hence the tunnels and magnetic lift hill.

Or each tunnel contains a hidden washing machine element and the lift has a backwards drop moment?! :O

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Apologies, I must admit I forgot they were sound tunnels.

I was just thinking about the wicker man theme. There was a film out recently about a boy who has a tree companion - A Monster Calls (think it was a novel previously). I'm not saying it will be an IP, but similar sort of story? I just thought, what if the wicker man was not a pagan/voodoo/tribal theme and actually more of a magical one - the sort of thing you'd expect at Efteling.

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:48 pm

More of a 'friendly' Wickerman perhaps? Rather than a witch-killing torture device? ;)Image

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:32 pm

I have a feeling this will be some sort of Pagan theme with some wicker theming. Hopefully theming on this will be great!
Ride count 2017: 224!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 735!
Cred count: 65!

Thanks to NemesisRider for the awesome signature!

Walshyman
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 am

I've sent them a message on Facebook saying 'How's the Wickerman coming on? Can't wait for the Wickerman #WickermanFor2018' why don't we make posters with wickermen on and saying 'let the man tell us his secrets' and 'the wickerman is coming' all with the hashtag on #WickermanFor2018, and put it on Alton tower visitor social media area on facebook, twitter and merlins main site. We need to squeeze all of the information we can out of them. :lol :lol :lol

Dan_Roe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:52 am

I just can't stop thinling about the possibility of a pirate themed wooden coaster as it works so perfectly.
I see it as RMT is katanga's coaster and with sw8 close proximity to mutiny bay i just feel that it should've been themed to mb amd not kc. It could have been called the kraken or something and involves the ride tunnel going throughout a destroyed ship and themeing representing the tentacles of the kraken. :D

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Being pagan myself, im quite interested if this is a wickerman themed attraction,However id love an extension into the mine theme. Maybe just maybe the WORLDS FIRST NICHOLAS CAGE COASTER?!