UK theme parks from another point of view!

Adam W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Wicker Man General Discussion

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Is there any sign of trees being moved in yet? I feel like it's gonna look a bit empty and barren without some foliage :/

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm

I would expect if any is to be added it’ll be after main construction is done.

In other news we have a sponsor in the shape of Seabrook Crisps! The below post was also shared by Towers on Facebook.

What do you make of this? I hope we get something similar to The Smiler pizza with some kind of smokey/spicy flavour named after Wicker Man being announced!

RobHand
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Froboi wrote:
@Robhand

Hit the nail on the head there fella. Was thinking exactly the same thing with the flame effects. Think they will use these in the tunnels hopefully a sound system too.. Roaring flames effect??

They would look great, weather they use them in all of them or not is another question.

Froboi wrote:
Before entering the Wicker Man, I think flames will block the tunnel and disappear just before the train enters, revealing the head chopper element.  This would be highly thrilling.

Do you think they would take it one step further and leave the flames on while the train passes through? (being that they use this technique of course) seeing as no heat is emitted and its just water particles like oblivion? That would be really awesome with the rider questioning if they will turn off and when building suspense? But then they don't. Maybe I'm thinking to much into my own fantasies  :lol

SJW
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 pm

John Wardley is thrilled that the park is finally getting a wooden coaster, and he also had input into the layout!

http://riderater.co.uk/6760/alton-tower ... wood-ride/

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 pm

SJW wrote:
John Wardley is thrilled that the park is finally getting a wooden coaster, and he also had input into the layout!

http://riderater.co.uk/6760/alton-tower ... wood-ride/

I just read this and was surprised to read that he adjusted the first drop whilst the ride was being built! Or at least in the early stages of construction.

I thought it would be much more difficult than this... but I suppose that’s the joy of a wooden coaster!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm

TTSP also had a Q&A session at TT@15 back in May. Watch this space for more details soon :)

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am

Looks like the sound tunnels are very nearly complete in this video!

Says it’s been shot by a light aircraft so I presume it’s ok to drop it here!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXmPdyLsg ... e=youtu.be

Brett
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am

weird movement for a light aircraft... unless they mean so light that its a drone...

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 am

Brett wrote:
weird movement for a light aircraft... unless they mean so light that its a drone...

Attraction Images use a plane to obtain their aerial footage. For this reason, we permit the posting of their content on the forum :)

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 am

Brett wrote:

It will be from a light aircraft. The footage is from Attraction Images. They have access to a light aircraft. And if it were a drone, but they will have had all relevant permission from the CAA if they had used one, unlike the earlier drone footage which they were very annoyed with themselves.

krug
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

Is the location of the camera, for the on-ride photo, on the plans?  Would be great having the on-ride photo aimed at the centre on the wicker mans chest but I'm guessing whatever fire effects they have in place will obscure the view.  Glad to hear John Wardley was on hand, making adjustments.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 pm

krug wrote:
Is the location of the camera, for the on-ride photo, on the plans?  Would be great having the on-ride photo aimed at the centre on the wicker mans chest but I'm guessing whatever fire effects they have in place will obscure the view.  Glad to hear John Wardley was on hand, making adjustments.

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t located after the first/second drops as this is the most common point for most AT rides to get the best image

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm

To be honest the only cameras that are straight after the drops (as in individual ones) are 13, Rita and what was once Air.

Oblivion’s single photo is after the oberbank, The Smiler’s after the sidewinder, Nemesis’s after the helix and Spinball’s before/after the overbank (Octonauts is also on the last turn but I wouldn’t class that as s major ride).

I wouldn’t be shocked to see it near the structure, although personally I’d like to see it after the airtime hill coming out of the tunnel! :P

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

I imagine the photo may be situated pointing at the twist after the snappy curve out of the tunnel like you say Owen, I think it'll be a great moment of the ride :)

bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I hope the theming is incredible as I'm worried about the length of the ride, but knowing them, they'll have some sort of other gimmick to make it worth while, anyway I'm sure the Wicker Man will be definitely enough. Do you think they will add that 'fire' to the sound tunnels, because that would be cool?

If the lights on fire after you go through it, wouldn't that be quite bad, having to look behind you to see what went on?

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:27 pm

bendaboss wrote:
I hope the theming is incredible as I'm worried about the length of the ride, but knowing them, they'll have some sort of other gimmick to make it worthwhile. Anyway I'm sure the wicker man will be definitely enough. Do you think they will add that 'fire' to the sound tunnels? That would be cool.
I'm confused, I can experience fusing fire and wood at home, why don't we call it the huge fire place!  ;)
But seriously they said it lights on fire after you go through it, wouldn't that be quite bad, having to look behind you to see what you went on there for, and what they advertised it for?

No, they advertised it as the first rollercoaster fusing fire and wood, so if you are lucky enough to have a rollercoaster in your back garden, put some fire next to it and get somebody to stand over it and you've got yourself a homemade wickerman! :P
Anyway, I agree about having to look behind you, and hope that that problem is somehow resolved when we ride it.
The nemesis creature, lord of darkness, guy off the promo for galactica, th13teen woman Dr. Kelman and Big Bob have joined to take over the world.

Jcoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Brett wrote:

they're using a dolly zoom which can move independently to the aircraft I believe

ChainedOak
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

As expected, today's Alton Towers google alert is absolutely full of articles on (mainly American) websites about how Alton are opening a rollercoaster based on The Wicker Man movie, (including suggestions that it is based on the Nick Cage remake, which is an absolute travesty). To be honest, from the moment that the suggestion of this name came up, I always worried that the connection between the two would be an issue; and it seems that Alton definitely lacked a bit of foresight on this one. The original theme is going to be diluted for the GP by a consistent connection to a (generally) unrelated IP. 
Examples of the articles included: this one and this one. A bit of a shame really. Still pumped for the ride though!

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Why don’t people do further research into the articles they make? If you research beyond the name you see that the theme is different to either film
:sus:

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm

The TTSP@15 Q&A with John Wardley is now live on the TTSP YouTube channel!

In it, John does go into some more depth about how he came to be involved with SW8 / Wicker Man and his contributions to the project (from 4:48 onwards). As has been discussed, he was the reason the profile of the first two drops now differs from the plans. Although he did also want to make some changes to other areas of the ride, he joined at too late of a stage to do so.