UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

dnicholls
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm

The new 2017 park map has SW8 construction under Gloomy Wood. oooOoOOO.

Dan_Roe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Can I just ask who in their mind would place a worlds first ride into gloomy wood? I have also discovered a plot that involves the very words SW into the WICKERMAN; 'W', is used in the Wickerman and is also used in sW8. It was planned from the start. If they use haunted hollow they knew that they'd build a ride themed to gloomy wood that's why its got all the interactions to entertain the guests in the queline. We have recently been freed from Ice Ages icy grip (see what I did there)
and will now be given another IP which god knows how long will stay with us for. It is time to stop. I can now say that imo sw8 will be the weakest ride on the park.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 pm

The 'W' in SW8 doesn't mean 'Wickerman'. It means 'Weapon'. All the major coasters at Alton have been given the SW (Secret Weapon) code name. They haven't chosen the code name based around the theme.
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Dan_Roe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Liam I was joking :D

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 pm

It makes more sense, IMO, to have any ride with a 'Wicker Man' theme, placed in Gloomy Wood. The hopefully, heavy themed coaster, should bring some life to that area. It opens up a lot of possibilities with regards to Duel and any other flat rides they may incorporate as well...

Have the giant 'Wicker Man' as a centrepiece with some creepy music, and the area could be great.

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

The coaster itself should be passing through the Wickerman centrepiece, as on the plans 'Theming Envelope 2' appears to be the top down view of the Wickerman - it looks like the head and shoulders if you were to be looking down on it. The coaster track runs through the structure on the plans a number of times.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:44 pm

So is the preshow going to feature a cg recreation of Christopher Lee and the psychological scarring of many children?

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 pm

If it does turn out to be in the GW, a few months back I did say a tribal/darker retheme of Duel would be cool - so if this does become true, it'd be pretty good, IF they do the themeing to a high standard, and keep the original charm of Duel, or even bring it back to its former state - The Haunted House!
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Nothing overly significant, but a recent discharge of conditions application provides a very brief summary of the materials being used for specific aspects of the development:
The proposed materials are primarily timber and consist of the following:
  • Building wall construction - Timber clad in Waney Lap Boarding
  • Roof – Timber Cedar Shakes
  • Hard standing areas – Block Paviour (brindle in colour)
  • Doors and window frames – Soft wood timber
  • Roller coaster materials track and stanchions - Timber construction
  • Theming features – Timber themed render and steel
  • Fencing - Timber
  • Acoustic screens - Timber
  • Tunnel and ride cars – Combination of timber and steel. The ride cars will be themed but will be steel coaster cars.

As it would appear that Towers have delivered physical samples to the local council, we're unable to see exactly what they look like, however here are some images that come up in Google for certain elements:

Waney Lap Boarding

Timber Cedar Shakes - differ from 'shingles' as they are split rather than sawn; should also be noted that the original plans suggested the buildings would have thatched roofs which no longer seems to be the case

Block Paviour (brindle in colour)

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Now that's very interesting. Like you said, the previous plans stated the roofs were to be thatched, so maybe they've definitely moved away from the Kantga Canyon theme? To me, that style of building with the wooden boarding and wooden roofing doesn't shout Gloomy Wood or Katanga Canyon. But to say that it fits Mutiny Bay would also be quite a stretch. If anything, these materials remind me of the Enchanted Village! It's hard to tell anything from just these details, but surely the building exteriors will complement the theme?

The material list also confirms that we will be getting a woodie which is 100% wood, unlike Invadr which has the metal support structure (which I think looks horrible). It explains that the thematic structure will be primarily steel, but covered in wall render, which I assume will be painted over to make look like timber (could this be the Wickerman?). Also - the ride cars will be themed!

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:12 pm

T0mPr1ce wrote:
Now that's very interesting. Like you said, the previous plans stated the roofs were to be thatched, so maybe they've definitely moved away from the Kantga Canyon theme? To me, that style of building with the wooden boarding and wooden roofing doesn't shout Gloomy Wood or Katanga Canyon. But to say that it fits Mutiny Bay would also be quite a stretch. If anything, these materials remind me of the Enchanted Village! It's hard to tell anything from just these details, but surely the building exteriors will complement the theme?

The material list also confirms that we will be getting a woodie which is 100% wood, unlike Invadr which has the metal support structure (which I think looks horrible). It explains that the thematic structure will be primarily steel, but covered in wall render, which I assume will be painted over to make look like timber (could this be the Wickerman?). Also - the ride cars will be themed!

Yes I remember the planning application saying it would have a thatched roof, themed cars I expdcted as Towers current trains(espically 13 and The Smiler) do look very nicely themed and the newer GCI trains do look rather nice.

I guess that when planning appication was first submitted, there would of been no set theme for SW8 and also now we already have the first hints to the ride soI think Towers were keepng these designs intil the first hints to put us off and think we were getting some generic pirate themed woodie.

Also I think Towers are dilibulately giving people bad expectations of the ride then when the full annocement comes, we are all susprised with the ride. I don't know though I could be wrong...
[Insert Signature Here]

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
I guess that when planning appication was first submitted, there would of been no set theme for SW8 and also now we already have the first hints to the ride soI think Towers were keepng these designs intil the first hints to put us off and think we were getting some generic pirate themed woodie.

Also I think Towers are dilibulately giving people bad expectations of the ride then when the full annocement comes, we are all susprised with the ride. I don't know though I could be wrong...

The theme for this would have been decided a long time ago at this point, marketing teams need a good amount of time to plan a good campaign and any theming for the ride would be designed around said theme. In terms of bad expectations, Towers haven't really done much to set any expectations - I think the initial plans and confusing placements have left people somewhat disappointed in parts of the development. However, once marketing picks up hopefully towers will start making the development more exciting! :)

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:52 pm

I don't think anyone has really discussed the SW8 feature on the 2017 park map. The images we've seen so far aren't the clearest and it's quite hard to try and work out what's actually there. When the season officially starts on the 25th the map will be uploaded on the website, so we should get a more detailed

However, the fencing in this design definitely reminds me of that of a wood fort - the fence looks to be one of those long lines of spiked logs.

I can't really work out what anything else in the ride area is, the floor might be significant but I'm not sure. Hopefully Towers begin to tease the ride more as the season gets started, something similar to the Smiler logo would be good.

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm

I don't think we can really use what's on the map to figure anything out yet. Hopefully the fence on the finished ride will look as funky as that though :D

However using this to try to establish a theme or anything would be like using this to figure out what Nemesis will be like!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:14 am

I'm still in amazement that we are actually getting a wooden coaster at AT. I mean, after the rumours in 2003 - I never thought I would see the day. Literally 20+ years in the making. :)

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I really wouldn't read to much in to the park map at this early stage.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:06 pm

A recent planning application details the new path that is being constructed between the Haunted Hollow and SW8 site. It doesn't really mean any major changes to the previous SW8 plans aside from a section of its queueline being rerouted and the requirement for the Resort to undertake some mitigating measures in relation to the nearby Deer Park Wall.

The application states that the purpose of the path is "to assist with guest flow during the construction phases of the new ride and to also act as a relief path during peak days at the Resort".

This application also shows that there has been no change to the location of the ride's entrance, as some have speculated following the revelation that SW8 is listed under Gloomy Wood on this year's map.

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:28 pm

They've also changed the buildings, the shop now appears to be separate to the station, maintenance and preshow building.

"Shop and station reduced in size".

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 pm

T0mPr1ce wrote:
They've also changed the buildings, the shop now appears to be separate to the station, maintenance and preshow building.

"Shop and station reduced in size".

That was changed a while back in August. Shame about the smaller building though.
[Insert Signature Here]

BigAlan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 pm

I went to the park on Sunday as part of the blue card event day and I noticed a huge amount of soil being deposited onto the site. I couldn't see much from the river rapids ride queue and the way from mutany bay was blocked off. I'm assuming the large amount of soil is for filling in the water that was previously there?
Just speculation, but with the words "ground breaking" and the sheer amount of soil being deposited, could it be possible that there's underground elements?