UK theme parks from another point of view!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm

Burniel wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
If we get a decent amount of airtime I'll be happy as AT the entire country is lacking in this area.

Fixed :P

I definitely think that if SW8 has a good amount of airtime, it will provide much better depth to the park's lineup, even though it probably won't be many people's favourite coaster. Seeing as we're never going to get a large-scale steel airtime machine at the park, SW8 is probably the best shot we have at a coaster with good airtime, so hopefully it turns out well!

To be fair, Grand National has a fair amount of airtime which is why it's my favourite UK coaster!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

ewoodier82
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 1:07 pm

A completely random thought I just had that I will probably find out is either impossible or highly unlikely but....
....world's first stand up wooden coaster?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Unfortunately (well not so unfortunatly:lol) I don't think there will ever be a wooden stand up coaster. This would be due to the lack of popularity in stand up coasters because they can be a bit uncomfortable. If you were to then use the concept on a fast paced and quick transitioning coaster, it wouldn't be terribly fun. Although it would be a worlds first, we just hope that Merlin aren't out of their minds do this concept!
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 pm

ewoodier82 wrote:
A completely random thought I just had that I will probably find out is either impossible or highly unlikely but....
....world's first stand up wooden coaster?

No, Never please. Anyway Stand-Up coasters haven't been built since the 1990's with many stand-ups currently being converted to floorless for example Mantis to Rougarou at Cedar Point and Vortex to Patriot at California's Great America.

I doubt that SW8 will not have a 'World's First' element instead we will probably get SW8 marketed in a similar way to other GCI's as most if them are gimmickless yet still do extremely successful(See Troy or Goldstriker).

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 3:49 pm

How about a wooden floorless then?
God Bless Tea Towels

ewoodier82
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
How about a wooden floorless then?

It would make sense that any 'gimmick' would be in the trains, as from what we can see there is nothing to suggest anything special about the layout. It would also fit in with the fact that the construction hasn't been hidden at all. (There is also the more straightforward explanation that there are no secret elements, but this is a topic for speculation)

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Wooden coaster track is quite cool and I think it would be a unique experience to see it rushing beneath your feet.
God Bless Tea Towels

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Imagine if it was floorless... When they anounce it they would be all like 'Well, were being all open about the project because its the World's First floorless wooden roller coaster'.
But to be honest I don't see that happening, but you never know GCI have worked with Merlin before on Millennium Flyer trains. :D

ewoodier82
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 pm

I just realised, 'ground breaking!'....
.... or maybe not.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 pm

I was just joking but it could actually work. There's a few problems to think about such as restraint style, moving floor, height of train etc but I think this idea has potential
God Bless Tea Towels

Kraken
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 29, 2017 12:04 am

AltonOperator wrote:
I was just joking but it could actually work. There's a few problems to think about such as restraint style, moving floor, height of train etc but I think this idea has potential

Good idea, but impossible to implement. On a B&M floorless coaster you are sitting well above the track due to the construction of the train, so it would need to be an impossibly long-legged person who could get their feet anywhere near the track (i.e. it would not happen).

Wooden coaster trains run much closer to the track & there is a good risk that someone with very long legs could easily get their feet too close to the track on a floorless wooden train. After the incident on The Smiler, this is something that Merlin & their Public Liability Insurers would simply never allow.

That said, I am really looking forward to SW8. I've ridden White Lightning at FunSpot Orlando. This is a junior GCI woodie and it's simply great fun to ride - could ride it for ages. Yes, you get jolted round a little in the element transitions, but it is just a "good fun all round" ride. Probably exactly the sort of ride Alton needs to help with it's recovery from The Smiler incident - attract a wider customer base than thrill-seeking teenagers. I would not be surprised if SW8 has a 1.2m height restriction too (Gold Striker is 48" which is a shade over 1.2m) - this will help Alton even more.

I look forward to March / April next year!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 29, 2017 12:10 pm

This will certainly not be a standup or floorless, the height of the tunnel where the first drop from the station is far too low, otherwise there'd be a lot of decapitations!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Interestingly the decision document for the amended SW8 application says that the ride cars will be "themed and painted in wicker brown colour"...

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Themed is what I like to hear!

smokenmirrors
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Imagine if this was all just going to be themed on The Gruffalo with a giant Gruffalo statue......

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Just a thought, What if as you went through The Wickerman's legs, you got sprayed with water... :lol
I can actually see Merlin doing that. Looks at torture scene in The Dungeons...

Chigaia
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:37 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Just a thought, What if as you went through The Wickerman's legs, you got sprayed with water... [emoji38]

Sw8 - world's first rollercoaster to feature getting urinated on by an inanimate object....

I mean it's a world's first.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Chigaia wrote:
Bert2theSpark wrote:
Just a thought, What if as you went through The Wickerman's legs, you got sprayed with water... [emoji38]

Sw8 - world's first rollercoaster to feature getting urinated on by an inanimate object....

Are you suggesting that there is a rollercoaster in the world where you get urinated on by an animate object?
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

Chigaia
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Chigaia wrote:
Bert2theSpark wrote:

Are you suggesting that there is a rollercoaster in the world where you get urinated on by an animate object?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:37 pm

This topic got a little odd! :-s