UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: SW8 Speculation and General Discussion

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:17 am

Although it’s currently listed as sold out, the SW8 wood has been added to the Resort’s online shop, so it may become available to purchase for those who were unable to buy it at the park.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 am

Proud owner of two!
If you haven't seen them; they are very nice, although it will be pot luck what you get as they are all unique and the branding is stronger on some than others! It should also be noted that these are limited.

EndlessWire
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Aidan Lowe wrote:
So ahead of tomorrow in which I expect some reveal I watched the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man. Obviously, it's almost pretty certain Wicker Man will be the name of this attraction and in terms of every other attraction in the world, this at Alton Towers will be globally unique.

The skull in the Welcoming and some similarities in the movie, what part that section of the maze play's I'm unaware of.

I'd echo what people have said above, which is that Wicker an may not be the name of the ride, it could be the name of the structure, or perhaps its own area (I'm still going out on a limb and guessing it'll have its own area a la Swarm Island). It's most likely to be the name of the ride, I agree, but I'm still taking it with a pinch of salt.
Also - the 73 Wicker an has a big place in my heart - it's one of my very favourite films and the subject of two pieces of work I did at uni examining its (incredible) music. That girl does have an uncanny resemblance to Rowan Morrison, but I suspect that's more of an 'easter egg' for those of us who know the film than anything of substance.
A bit of a digression, but as you've posted that tombstone and churchyard, I can't resist posting a couple this photo from about 8 years ago when I went on a roadtrip to the filming locations! I would LOVE this design to crop up somewhere subtly, but highly doubt it. Apologies for looking ridiculously gormless...

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:38 am

Found this on YouTube about the ride from a recent news report
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4wasu_iYVt0

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 am

Muppet738 wrote:
Found this on YouTube about the ride from a recent news report
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4wasu_iYVt0

Already being discussed here.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Um, has anyone else noticed that they took down the piece of the experience page on their website? I wonder why they put it up if they only ended up taking it down... Maybe it was getting too many hits and they panicked?
https://shop.altontowers.com/products/s ... 0169693211

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:31 pm

I think they've removed anything that's sold out, rather than having them on there but marked as sold out. This year's pin badges have now gone too.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Some of the merchandise which is marked as sold out are sill listed on the online store.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:15 pm

New trailer just released themed around the Welcoming...I can't spot anything beyond what we already know here to be honest but I like the style that they're going for.

There is also a new page on the Welcoming website to support the trailer

Loakin
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:24 pm

The message at the end of the video reads: Pay Homage and unite
This ties in with the whole worshipping thing, homage means to pay respect or honour.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 pm

I am loving this trailer and it certainly adds to the build-up of SW8. I'm more hyped than before!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Not saying that the ride will be related to the movie, but the accent may be a reference to the fact that the original film took place in Scotland.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Loakin
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Also the URL for that video on the website ends with "The Beornen" 
I have no idea what it means, but it could be a very big clue. However I did find that the term "beornings" is the name of a mystical creature, that looks kind of like a giant and something you would worship. Maybe it could be the big theming structure that has been covered up, who knows?
Anyone else have any ideas as to what the "Beornen" are?

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Really enjoyed that trailer gave a good feel for the final theme I hope and "Beornen" is middle english to be consumed by fire or left to ash.

Edit: can also mean burning a home or item in a sacrifice to god

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 pm

TheDuke wrote:
Really enjoyed that trailer gave a good feel for the final theme I hope and "Beornen" is middle english to be consumed by fire or left to ash.

Edit: can also mean burning a home or item in a sacrifice to god

If it can mean burning an item in a sacrifice or being consumed by fire, this would tie in with the theme of the ride; feeding the flames.

Jm55
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm

My phone won’t let me attach the image but there is a description of the trailer on the AT Facebook account;

Be Chosen. Visit http://www.thewelcoming.co.uk/be-chosen/

In the woods surrounding Alton Towers Resort a mysterious group have emerged.

They’ve come to escape the outside world and reconnect with nature.

Cut off from modernity, they’re striving to forge a simpler way of life.

Living and working together, the group have become single minded in their pursuit.

They developed their own language and belief system.

They’re working towards something... something big.

As the sun’s warmth gives life to the earth, so they believe that their efforts can bring change.

Delivering them from modern society to a simpler, brighter future.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:02 pm

I actually quite like that video. Its creepy, mysterious and annoying as it doesn't reveal anything. The only issue I have, and it may just be a south western thing, but who says homage the way they say it. It sounds weird to the ears to me. :lol
Even the good can fall from grace

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Really love the new trailer, and I really like the tone in which Alton is going for SW8 in, and even though I wished for it- they have actually (so far) gone down the AHS: Roanoke theme which I love!!
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:06 pm

The new trailer is pretty awesome. I'm getting goosebumps!!
Going back to what Jm55 said "they've developed their own language and belief system" really intrigues me. I wonder if we'll get a mythology or if it's just to back up the "technology is against our belief" thing they seem to be going for.

Jm55
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:21 pm

It looks awesome, there is clearly no issue within the Alton imagineering department.

My concern is that this fantastic idea full of potential will go the way of Thirteen, and whilst still being good, and I do love that ride, will under-utilise what the theme is potentially capable of.

If it’s done correctly it could be fantastic, my main query is how a wooden rollercoaster is going to expose riders to that theme, so that they can actually see it rather than fly past it. Obviously there is the theming structure, but even then you’ll be going very fast, and whilst noticeable won’t be able to be really seen in detail? My personal guess is there will be ritual style music played all around the area. It’s one that could look seriously impressive on fright nights.