UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and General Discussion

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 pm

While I can't help but get excited when I see things like this video, I still have an underlying worry when I see how they're marketing this as a world-class themed experience as the last time Merlin did that sort of thing, we got the sensational fail of the Ghost Train.

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am

rolicoli8 wrote:
While I can't help but get excited when I see things like this video, I still have an underlying worry when I see how they're marketing this as a world-class themed experience as the last time Merlin did that sort of thing, we got the sensational fail of the Ghost Train.

Hopefully Merlin have learnt from their mistakes, and know that DBGT failed, I think they this will have World class theming, but I’m not sure if the ride will be world class (Still probably will be best or second best at Alton Towers for me, only behind Rita)

Brett
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:25 pm

The Beornen or just Beornen is my vote for a name! much better than anything else we have heard so far.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Brett wrote:
The Beornen or just Beornen is my vote for a name! much better than anything else we have heard so far.

Totally agree. That would be awesome!!! Much better than Wickerman if I’m honest.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

JC13 wrote:
Hopefully Merlin have learnt from their mistakes, and know that DBGT failed, I think they this will have World class theming, but I’m not sure if the ride will be world class (Still probably will be best or second best at Alton Towers for me, only behind Rita)

One of my main problems with Merlin is that I've seen no evidence that they ever learn from their mistakes, for example, they must know an attraction which uses too many staff will cause a huge problem for the park, so then they go and make the Ghost Train which uses like 20something. I'm really hoping they have finally learned from the Th13teen catastrophe because a lot of the stuff we've seen so far is leading the same way as in 2009.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:39 pm

rolicoli8 wrote:
JC13 wrote:

One of my main problems with Merlin is that I've seen no evidence that they ever learn from their mistakes, for example, they must know an attraction which uses too many staff will cause a huge problem for the park, so then they go and make the Ghost Train which uses like 20something. I'm really hoping they have finally learned from the Th13teen catastrophe because a lot of the stuff we've seen so far is leading the same way as in 2009.

The issues with Galactica were not staff level based, nor is the same true for DBGT. Whilst I agree that the staffing levels are quite significant when on a comparable level with other attractions, they are not inhibitive. The problem lies with Merlins current cost cutting initiatives and this is having huge implications on the budgets the parks are given annually, which in turn negatively affects the opex that attractions will have.

I still maintain that both of these attractions were bold moves. However with SW8 simply being a wooden coaster, I cannot currently see this being a primary concern. I do not think they are hyping this up in the same was as Thirteen. At this point we were already seeing the push on psychoaster and the likes - whereas the marketing is still quite low key with just SW8 stickers. They misbranded 13, which led to the initial dissapointment of a fairly good addition to a park desperate for a mid range coaster. All later attractions haven't suffered the same problem.

Yappo
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 am

saw-x-smile wrote:
Brett wrote:

Totally agree. That would be awesome!!! Much better than Wickerman if I’m honest.

Yeah it's a really cool name, I'd be happy if it was either as I actually really like Wicker Man too. But I would bet on the ride name being Wicker Man, and Beornen just being like what Ministry of Joy was for Smiler, the name of the group of people the ride is themed around but not the ride itself.

But *forced segue time!* I did decide to give the name to this font I created of the runic alphabet, if that sounds like the sort of thing anyone might find useful!
As we still don't have X or Z, those characters currently give you the Wicker Man symbol. Also no numbers yet, since we have so few of those I didn't feel it was really worth it. But I may add them at some point.
I don't know if this violates Merlin's copyright or whatever, so if it gets taken down you know why :P

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am

While I haven't tried the font out yet, can I just say a big thank you for sharing. I did begin making a set but very quickly gave up! The runes look great and if the other letters are released then great. If they won't be, it may be worth creating a couple to fill the gaps further down the line.

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 pm

nice work. downloaded!

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 am

That's so incredible! I've been meaning to do something like that myself but never got around to it. So glad that you did!

And I totally agree about the Beornen being similar to the ministry of joy. It's a really cool name but too hard to say for a ride (in my opinion) so it would make sense if it becomes something similar to the MOJ or Phalanx.

Azi889
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Beornen Certainly sounds more original and stand out than Wickerman, I complelty agree with saw-x-smile though in saying that it will definitely confuse the general public to a) the meaning (which could be a good thing for intrigue?) and b) how you say it?

However I reckon unique and maybe difficult to say at first may be better than the predictable as it is a ride after all. I’m so excited to hear what the world class element is - i May be reading too much into it but I’d love it if it was something world class and not just “world class theming” as like with the other SW projects this is what makes them really stand out. Although for me a woodie at Alton towers will be brilliant wether it has it or not - and from all the pictures it looks like an great addition to the park. I do think it would be extra extra special though if it had a world class element. I love all the fire around what we’ve seen but I imagine this involved anywhere would be a health and safety nightmare but it could maybe be incorporated into the show building? What do we all think it could be and or if it will have it? I certainly can’t wait to see what 2018 will bring!

I’m also intrigued as to wether the name will reveal more into which area this fits into be it Katanga canyon or mutiny bay as the theming so far dosent particularly look like it would nessecerialy gel into either, however Beornen sounds quite Viking like!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 am

The first question/riddle is on Twitter

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 am

There's the Link to what TPC just mentioned, 
You are required to sign up then watch a YouTube video, However the video won't work for me(Error 400). 
[Insert Signature Here]

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:31 am

Sorry for the double post, The link now works for me and the answer I've just submitted but here's a big clue, It where wood coasters (Well GCI's at least) begin as Southen Yellow Pine *blank* in Pennsylvania.

Also in the description of the website winners will be notified on the 13th of January 2018 so I am wondering if it's the announcement date. I dunno though.
[Insert Signature Here]

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am

As mentioned above, here are the full details of Challenge 1...

Alton Towers:

BECOME A CHOSEN ONE

You have been given the coveted opportunity to join the Chosen. Prove your dedication by completing the challenges, and submitting your answers below. There is one correct answer for each question.

A Chosen One will be selected from those who have answered correctly, and will receive a great reward. The winner will stay overnight in a Resort hotel, be among the first to experience our incredible new attraction, and enjoy some exclusive extras too. An additional 25 of the most dedicated applicants will be gifted entry to the Theme Park. Good luck!

https://www.thewelcoming.co.uk/competition

Further details can be found by clicking the link above.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:08 pm

It's  a little easy if there all just going to be Runes like that... I didn't even need the riddle to work out what that said! :P

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Robert.W wrote:
It's  a little easy if there all just going to be Runes like that... I didn't even need the riddle to work out what that said! :P

You have to remember the GP won't really know the rune alphabet like we do!
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Fair enough, but they'll still have to make the riddles a bit harder I think.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Also, I think they realised their mistake because on the Snapchat version there are no ruins.

Also, is anyone else thrown off by the "Closing date for entries is midnight on 31st December 2017. No entries will be accepted after this time."? Does that mean the competition and all the clues will be released by then? I wonder how many we're going to get with such a small window.

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:35 pm

We’ll probably get 5 or 6 more clues (if we’re lucky) I’m guessing that because winners will be contacted by Jan 13 that we probably will have had an official announcement by then