UK theme parks from another point of view!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Now that you've pointed that out, it does seem obvious that they would already have the trademark sorted.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Theme Park Worldwide have noted that a number of the new windows have had wooden posts and plug sockets installed, potentially for TVs which could be used to display some sort of teaser...

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 pm

The dimensions of the hole in the fence does look fairly 16:9 ish, which would further suggest use of TVs. This would be a very interesting marketing style and it would be easy for Towers to update and reveal more information.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:44 am

The TV speculation is entirely plausible. I wouldn't be surprised to see an official teaser not long after installation of the screens. The fact that the viewing window is a different shape and size to those already cut out suggests there will be televisions - and that these windows are clearly television shaped!

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 am

would be cool if the screens are flush to the window and the film gives the effect of something looking back through the hole.
I guess I mean it interacts with the viewing window

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm quite excited by this. Hopefully, it is true and we will see some further hints soon!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:41 pm

lewis97 wrote:
In that video it's just about possible to make out a wire mesh at the top of the theming structure, along with what I can only describe as black fins...

Just posting this here to continue the speculation, started in the other thread, as to what the theming element could be. Ideas, so far, includes a dragon a tribal necklace and the Gruffalo, although the latter is made in jest (Just my luck it will be now :lol )

If it is a dragon, a magical theme would be good, if it is a new area, although this is also a theme I would like to see for Cloud Cuckoo Land!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm

I just did a bit of research on African tribal myths and legends. One legend stood out for me as it ties in with Katanga Canyon, as well as speculation concerning the SW8 construction.

"The Zambezi River God, or Nyaminyami, is a dragon-like creature believed to command all life on the Zambezi River."

To me, this fits perfectly with the Congo River Rapids and the dragon (which has been speculated to be the theming element). There are many stories about the Nyaminyami, typically revolving around sacracfice to appease it and in order to be allowed access to the river. Villagers seem to go missing when the Nyaminyami is angry.

Froboi
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Love that!!

Has a perfect story arc too.. You may have hit the nail on the head? Good research tho..

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Just looked up the Myaminyami on Wikipedia and I found something quite interesting...
Heavy earth-moving equipment roared into the valley and tore out thousands of hundred-year-old trees to build roads and settlements to house the workers who poured into the area to build a dam that would harness the powerful river. The BaTonga’s peace and solitude was shattered and they were told to leave their homes and move away from the river to avoid the flood that the dam would cause.

I think we might have hit the nail on the head hear. I mean we have correctly speculated before with TH13TEEN. And is has been speculated that the wickerman theme is a false rumour to put enthusiasts off...

However I don't really think Towers has decided on which area SW8 is in, It was briefly Mutiny Bay on the website, Before that the park said at a TTSP event last year SW8 was in Katanga Canyon and on the park map it says Gloomy Wood. Again the park might trying to put us off what theme it might be or they just don't know yet...
[Insert Signature Here]

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:04 pm

I really do like this Nyaminyami/Myaminyami legend, it would be perfect for Katanga Canyon. The heavy earth-moving sentence that you found makes it even more plausible.

WallisDan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:13 pm

I have always thought it would be in Katanga Canyon with an African theme (animal or myth)

Could a Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon retheme/merge still be on the cards?
Last edited by Dom on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged Double Post

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm

The Nyaminyami theme could work well!  Here is an extract from Wikipedia...

The Nyami Nyami, otherwise known as the Zambezi River God or Zambezi Snake spirit, is one of the most important gods of the Tonga people. Nyami Nyami is believed to protect the Tonga people and give them sustenance in difficult times. The River God is usually portrayed as male.
Variously described as having the body of a snake and the head of a fish, a whirlpool or a river dragon, the Nyami Nyami is seen as the god of Zambezi Valley and the river before the creation of the Kariba Dam. The Nyami Nyami is regularly depicted as a snake-like being or dragon-like creature with a snake's torso and the head of a fish.[1] It can be found as pendants on jewelry, usually carved out of wood, stone or bone, occasionally ivory, silver or gold both as a fashion accessory and as a good luck charm similar to the wearing of a St Christopher medallion. Elaborate traditionally carved walking sticks depicting the Nyami Nyami and its relationship with the valley's inhabitants were popular with tourists visiting Zambia and have historically been gifts to prestigious visitors.
It is the traditional role of tribal elders and spirit mediums to intercede on behalf the inhabitants of the river valley when Nyami Nyami is angered.
The Nyaminyami is said to reside in the Zambezi River and control the life in and on the river. The spirits of Nyaminyami and his wife residing in the Kariba Gorge are God and Goddess of the underworld. The Tonga people believe the building of the Kariba Dam deeply offended Nyami Nyami, separating him from his wife. The regular flooding and many deaths during the dam's construction were attributed to his wrath. After the Dam was completed the Tonga believe that Nyami Nyami withdrew from the world of men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyami_Nyami

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 pm

This is the statue of the god - if the ride does turn out to be themed to this, then I would expect that we see merch related to the statue/symbol.

Another image

theflamingbrick
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 am

Can I just ask where a dragon theme came from? I'm finding it really hard to understand how people are now believing this is a dragon theme purely from a photo that shows a couple of black fins sticking out of the top of the themed structure. Or am I missing something else?
Whatever it is, I don't think this is the full extent of it. You can clearly see steel end plates facing upwards in that photo, which suggests that this themed structure will be getting taller than it currently stands. Likewise, in previous pictures you can see bolt holes on the side of the principal steel columns that would suggest that this may be getting bigger laterally too.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am

At the moment, it is pure speculation based on the images seen so far. No one knows what it will be and most certainly views will change over the coming weeks when we see more.

Please feel free to post your thoughts below too.
It's going to be an interesting couple of months! :)

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Given what Lewis has pointed out in the construction topic about the company being on site who produced Taron's rock work also producing 'timber themed render', is it possible that this company potentially could be working on the interior of the station? We know that walls have been constructed around the station now meaning we cannot see what construction is going on inside, so is it possible we could see some form of timber figures constructed inside the station in a similar way to what Wodan has at Europa park? Of course I'm not saying SW8 would have these exact figures, but it would be good if there was a similar level of theming inside the station to what we see on other GCI coasters such as Wodan. Of course if the station theming was to be some form of figures then it would support the speculation of a tribal theme.

chrisgeorgiou46
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:07 pm

If this layout is dull, I think it could be saved with incredible theming. Incredible. Nothing less. Covering the entire site.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Looking into Noise Assessment Report further, I wonder if the tunnels will have a rock or wooden theme inside?

Tunnel constructions at the highest elevation point with absorbing inner lining. The proposed tunnel will start from the top of the first drop and extend to the lowest point after the drop. The tunnel will have absorbing material fixed to the inner wall. The tunnel will also be themed;

Adding to further speculation, has Alton already given us a clue to the overall theme? I am now wondering if Altonville Mine Tours provided us with hints? Back when Mine Tours opened, Alton posted a strange link which said that Altonville Mine Tours had been twinned with Bodie, California. Looking into images, some of the buildings from SW8 could take inspiration from the Mine found in the now ghost town. Will Altonville play a part in the overall design?

Please take this with a very large pinch of salt!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:18 pm

As much as I would love it, I don't think so. Even though Merlin have a habit of doing it, its usually done in the SF or FN before opening year of the attraction, so it could be that we may see a subtle hint or something this year, but again this is only a theory. 
Even the good can fall from grace