UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Wicker Man General Discussion

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:19 am

The best way will be down past Towers Trading (left hand side of Towers Street), inbetween Battle Gallons and Courtyard and around. The other way is through Mutiny Bay but it may be blocked off. You also have rides to contend with. :)

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm

It seems Wicker Man’s reliability gremlins have struck again today, as the ride has not yet opened. The queue line and ride area audio has been turned off, and while the ride was testing this morning, this too has stopped.

I really hope Towers and/or GCI manage to fix the issue that seems to be plaguing the ride at the moment, as its inconsistent operation is somewhat dampening the initial hype surrounding the ride.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Indeed, the hype is vanishing quickly.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld: From Park to Planet. Experience worlds of wonder, thrills and discovery.

SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm

I don't think it's quite so drastic as that, all the non enthusiasts on my Facebook are super excited to ride and probably won't visit for a while when hopefully all the teething problems will be sorted. I think it's important not to overstate the drama on this, the ride is great and Alton are trying to get it sorted, while enthusiasts may be a bit frustrated most of the GP will get over it or barely even notice as they aren't monitoring it every day. I'm optimistic they'll get it sorted soon enough.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Michelle wrote:
I don't think it's quite so drastic as that, all the non enthusiasts on my Facebook are super excited to ride and probably won't visit for a while when hopefully all the teething problems will be sorted. I think it's important not to overstate the drama on this, the ride is great and Alton are trying to get it sorted, while enthusiasts may be a bit frustrated most of the GP will get over it or barely even notice as they aren't monitoring it every day. I'm optimistic they'll get it sorted soon enough.

Oh I agree :)

I’m still really hyped to ride it, I’m just a little nervous about my visit on Thursday as I just want it to be open :lol

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 pm

I mean, of course there is still some excitement, but headlines like this aren't great:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... f-14454217

More of an enthusiast thing, but with the park in such poor shape this year, it's making it really hard for me to be excited about Wicker Man, which is a shame as it's a good attraction.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld: From Park to Planet. Experience worlds of wonder, thrills and discovery.

SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm

The ride has reopened according to ride times, with a 2hr queue.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Which ride are we talking about here? riderimes.co.uk still says that Wicker Man and Nemesis are not available, same also for Congo River Rapids and Heave Ho..

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Was Wicker Man, must've closed again!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Ahh, it's back open now, queues at 90 mins..

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:18 pm

It would seem that the Rollercoaster Restaurant is now home to a miniature model of Wicker Man, which was apparently created as part of Merlin's internal approval process as per this tweet.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:38 pm

I'll have to take a look at that, later this week!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm struggling to understand why a GCI woody with a fairly straight forward lay-out is having so many technical issues. You can understand it with new tech (like with Air), but it seems a bit baffling that they're having so many issues with this.

Professor Burp
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:33 pm

ponder wrote:
I'm struggling to understand why a GCI woody with a fairly straight forward lay-out is having so many technical issues. You can understand it with new tech (like with Air), but it seems a bit baffling that they're having so many issues with this.

Apparently it is overshooting, every time it does this the system is tripped and has to restart again. This is why they are sending around empty trains so often because they need to reset the system. I maybe be wrong but this is what I've been told by staff.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Hopefully we don't get trims.........
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

For it to need trims it'd need to be overshooting the brake run, and luckily it isn't doing that ;)

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 pm

What exactly is it overshooting? The lift hill? Surely some trim brakes before it wouldn’t impede the ride top much

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Phild94 wrote:
What exactly is it overshooting? The lift hill? Surely some trim brakes before it wouldn’t impede the ride top much

It’s rumoured to be overshooting the station and parking incorrectly. This would cause the ride to shut down as the control unit would think two trains are occupying the same block.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Dan wrote:
Phild94 wrote:

It’s rumoured to be overshooting the station and parking incorrectly. This would cause the ride to shut down as the control unit would think two trains are occupying the same block.

That’s odd, surely it would only be pushed into the station at a set speed. Unless of course it is that the brakes are not holding it adequately... either way this isn’t the sort of mistaken an experienced manufacturer should be making

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:37 pm

If this is the case, I think it's a first for GCI. Maybe this also ties into the fact the layout was only designed to utilise 2 trains, but the park opted for 3. 
We were born to fly...