UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm wondering whether this will lead to an area re-theme. I just can't see SW8 being part of Gloomy Wood which is making me think Mutiny Bay may be re-themed to some form of Pagan village. It's probably unlikely, they'll probably just plonk it in the area and create a terribly tedious link to it a la Dark Forest, X-Sector and Forbidd... basically all the major areas of the park. 

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Yappo wrote:
Anyone up for a bit of a sing-song? HAND OF FATE IS MOVING AND THE FINGER POINTS TO YOU...

YOUR TIME WILL COOOOOOME!

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 pm

How early on did we find that The Smiler was 'The Smiler'?
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Good solid logo, not sure on the name. Can't wait for the tv adverts.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Smiler313 wrote:

They announced the name in January 2013 just after they put those posters up, projected the logo onto things and spray painted the sheep. Although we knew that they had trademarked the name long before that.
I would assume that seeing as they seem to be trying to give us the full alphabet in runes the first time the name is put on any official marketing it will be spelt out in runes. Or the competition to be first rider will be a riddle or question spelt out in runes that you have to answer.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Tom170499 wrote:
I'm wondering whether this will lead to an area re-theme. I just can't see SW8 being part of Gloomy Wood which is making me think Mutiny Bay may be re-themed to some form of Pagan village. It's probably unlikely, they'll probably just plonk it in the area and create a terribly tedious link to it a la Dark Forest, X-Sector and Forbidd... basically all the major areas of the park. 

It will be more likely that Gloomy Woods will receive a new name.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:03 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
Smiler313 wrote:

They announced the name in January 2013 just after they put those posters up, projected the logo onto things and spray painted the sheep. Although we knew that they had trademarked the name long before that.
I would assume that seeing as they seem to be trying to give us the full alphabet in runes the first time the name is put on any official marketing it will be spelt out in runes. Or the competition to be first rider will be a riddle or question spelt out in runes that you have to answer.

Unless the entrance to the ride is in a different place to where it is on the plans then the ride will be in (a possibly/probably re-themed) Mutiny Bay. When you consider that the queue line could have used/started in part of the old haunted hollow, which would have tied it to Gloomy Wood, but it doesn't. Also we know the mutiny bay courtyard is getting a makeover, so more of the area could also get the same treatment.

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Justin wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
I'm wondering whether this will lead to an area re-theme. I just can't see SW8 being part of Gloomy Wood which is making me think Mutiny Bay may be re-themed to some form of Pagan village.

It will be more likely that Gloomy Woods will receive a new name.

Hmm... I am a little unsure on weather Alton will want to spend tons on altering the theme of GW... then again, Duel is getting TLC, so anything is possible!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Don't expect too much :D I'm only thinking of a name change! Think Gruffalo and Wild Woods at Chessington!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:04 am

Even though that logo is great! The name I must admit is very predictable and not really anything that could be a big hit name.. however! I remember being on this forum when The Smiler name was announced and everyone was saying it's a rubbish name, change it, so on and so on.. but then we rode the thing and it fit perfectly with the experience and like people have said is an "iconic name".. I do believe this will have a very similar beginning similar to The Smiler, (except for one exception!), so now it's debatable, but when the ride opens and everything can be seen for what it is, I bet the name will stick!
Seize The Day, Or Die Regretting, The Time You Lost..

BigAlan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:04 pm

I tried my hand at a recreation in Planet Coaster. I'm kind of excited for the ride and love the new logo!

https://youtu.be/y6XtAUzIAjo

I can't wait until September to see the development again. Hopefully the facade on the theming element will be removed...

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm

I'll bet that the tarpaulin covering the theming will stay on until the season ends.

Pins
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 pm

'Gloomy Woods' and 'Dark Forest' basically mean the same thing don't they? It's never made sense to me to have two areas so similar!

Would like to see some of the surrounding area updated to add to the Wicker Man experience

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 am

It is a little odd, however, Gloomy Woods has always had a lighter tone. If a name change and retheme is planned then it is inevitably down to SW8 and may lead to a darker tone. The only way Alton may overcome this is if they themed the area to magic and made some changes to Duel. By fixing some effects, adding in wands, instead of blasters, and adding in more theming without completely gutting the ride may be one solution.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:39 am

I do find it irritating how most large Merlin projects are plonked in the parks with no regard for the theme of the surrounding area. Then again I guess The Flume never did..

The Wickerman theme could pass for Katanga Canyon and Mutiny Bay more so than Gloomy Wood. The back of the station will be almost opposite the Katanga Canyon letters and pond, however the entrance faces Mutiny Bay - so really the theming will have to mix with both.

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm

First reaction on the name, a little underwhelming. Only a little. Mainly I guess because we have known so long of the name and I don't like the 'Man' part being in the name, as if it's not the name of the coaster itself but naming the 'experience' and the main theme structure. 

I felt the same way after we got 'The Smiler'... 'TH13TEEN' and even Rita to an extent. But they all grew on me. AT has unique names for their rides in most part and this hasn't changed.

As for the logo? I think that logo is awesome. 
Last edited by Dom on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Bad Language

smokenmirrors
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Have to say slightly disappointed with this. I think Alton need to lighten up the atmosphere a little bit. I was at the park last week and thought how dark a lot of the theming was. I think Merlin need to learn you can do theming and story without everything being dark and sinister.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm

smokenmirrors wrote:
Have to say slightly disappointed with this. I think Alton need to lighten up the atmosphere a little bit. I was at the park last week and thought how dark a lot of the theming was. I think Merlin need to learn you can do theming and story without everything being dark and sinister.

Galactica is a fine example of this. Adventure/exploration themes are some of the best and I think that bar Galactica and Katanga Canyon, AT is seriously lacking in this. Therefore I agree that it is disappointing that we have yet another dark theme but hopefully, the next development will be a little lighter because at the moment, the park is a little depressing with all the death/misery/horror themes.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Merlin aren't stupid, there's a reason for dark themes, they sell, to the average member of the GP who doesn't visit Towers often and maybe not visited at all, when they book their trip to Towers it will be mainly for the park's newest ride. When someone sees the words 'Psychological' or 'Intense' or 'Fear' to them it  can grip the audience, making them want to visit. Merlin aren't the only company who use dark themes either, see most of the latest films. They either have A) An IP or something well-known(See The Emoji Movie) or B) Have a 'dark' theme(See Dunkirk). 

Dark Themes are something we will have to accept unless Towers realise another way to market their coasters, for example they've replaced the 'World's First' tagline with 'World Class' for SW8. Which can be seen as a start.

I've said it before but personally don't mind 'Dark Themes' but when you get a whole park which has it's major attractions with dark themes, It gives the impression the whole park is doom and gloom, when they want to advertise themselves as 'Magical' much like Cbeebies Land or TowersStreet. 
Bert2theSpark, Your number one person to go to on inaccurate stuff...

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 pm

A ride can attract the GP for being thrilling alone, if anything, a darker theme may decrease the number of GP wanting to ride it. For example SW8 could be the first coaster for a child, but they may easily be put off by the intimidating theme. 

The ride doesn't have to be thrilling and have a dark theme to draw crowds..