UK theme parks from another point of view!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Stripes91:Does anybody have a ‘birds eye view’ diagram/image of the track?

It’s just that there’s a bit of discussion around the maintenance building that doesn’t seem to add up to me - don’t maintenance sheds usually have switch tracks, meaning riders don’t go in them? Or is this maintenance shed in line with the usual track, meaning riders will be passing through the shed on every run?

All plans can be found here

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw8/ride-plans/

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but on the plans it says that there is a theming envelope 1 and 2. Does anyone know what the other one is or has it been scrapped?
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Considering there's been no sign of the other theming element I think it's safe to say that it has been scrapped :)

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm

To be honest.. it was a good decision to hopefully scrap it, as it would of lost a good viewing point of the ride for people in the queue.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

razgriz33
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:18 pm

I would love to see a 360 comparison from this exact spot 

Apologies if this has been asked but i spotted something about drainage considerations. Am I right in thinking the flume lake was dug out for the flume? or had it always been there, because if it had then there's surely a lot of thought going into where that water originally came from and where it will now go to!...Hopefully there's a polite nod to the flume somewhere too. :)

RIP Flume, long live SW8! :) Roll on Monday

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 pm

I think it would be safe to say.. someone needs to put a rubber duckie inside the building of the Pre-Show area or station, that would be quite amusing to see.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 am

I actually really hope they put in a few Easter eggs from the old flume, nothing too large, but maybe like a tap being retaken by the woods. Or the inner flume duck with smoke/fire effects as if they’ve burnt it down!

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:08 pm

The lovely folks over at Attraction Images have flown over Alton Towers and it is understood this was done using aircraft rather than a drone. It shows tunnel roofing being completed and a last/mostup to date look at the site before the big reveal tomorrow. 

https://twitter.com/attractionimage/status/950064423003095040 You can find the image and Attraction Images twitter feed at this link. This is being done due there requests of sharing that it is linked back to the tweet. 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:31 pm

It looks like the sound tunnel isn't solid, therefore you'll be able to still see through it.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Justin wrote:
It looks like the sound tunnel isn't solid, therefore you'll be able to still see through it.

I’d disagree, when zoomed in it appears internal from the wooden timber they have blacked it out. 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Zach wrote:
Justin wrote:

I’d disagree, when zoomed in it appears internal from the wooden timber they have blacked it out. 

Therefore giving it more of a slatted appearance, possibly? 

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Those tunnels look unfinished to me, what you can see just looks like a base frame to attach cladding to, just like the roof which is only half done

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 pm

I've thought that when they said it was gonna have a sound tunnel they might use screens to tell you a story or just make the lift hill more cinematic than just your ordinary lift hill
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:49 pm

TheBeornen wrote:
I've thought that when they said it was gonna have a sound tunnel they might use screens to tell you a story or just make the lift hill more cinematic than just your ordinary lift hill

eeek not screens  :| would prefer some lighting, sound and smoke effects if they did jazz the tunnel up abit! 

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Can I just change the discussion for a sec and say something, For a world where most theme park attractions get built in factories and theming just printing of a machine, It's been kinda cool to have a ride which 95% of t has been built on-site, The theming and the ride itself being built on site by people who are skilled at their jobs, GCI, Universal Rocks, and not to mention the great job Kettle and Talbot have done pouring foundations and landscaping a lake with an old log flume into a completely different environment. 

It shows that someone at Merlin cares about the quality of product and aren't just doing what Six Flags and Cedar Fair are doing with Wonder Woman and RailBlazer, Paying little money for a product with everything built in a factory and then assembled on site at a very small price

Well Done, Towers. Whatever happens with tomorrow's announcement you have created a great product which will inspire many for years to come. There is clearly lessons learnt with The Smiler's construction.

(Sorry if anyone found that post too enthuiastic or boring).
[Insert Signature Here]

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Stan.H wrote:
TheBeornen wrote:

eeek not screens  :| would prefer some lighting, sound and smoke effects if they did jazz the tunnel up abit! 

Yeah maybe not screens as we all don't want tomorrow to be #what'sinthelifthill but I'll happily have sounds because I'd love something like tribal chanting or even a narration style thing like Hex in the madhouse room

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Can I just change the discussion for a sec and say something, For a world where most theme park attractions get built in factories and theming just printing of a machine, It's been kinda cool to have a ride which 95% of t has been built on-site, The theming and the ride itself being built on site by people who are skilled at their jobs, GCI, Universal Rocks, and not to mention the great job Kettle and Talbot have done pouring foundations and landscaping a lake with an old log flume into a completely different environment. 

It shows that someone at Merlin cares about the quality of product and aren't just doing what Six Flags and Cedar Fair are doing with Wonder Woman and RailBlazer, Paying little money for a product with everything built in a factory and then assembled on site at a very small price

Well Done, Towers. Whatever happens with tomorrow's announcement you have created a great product which will inspire many for years to come. There is clearly lessons learnt with The Smiler's construction.

(Sorry if anyone found that post too enthuiastic or boring).

I agree, that's what makes AT feel magical 
Last edited by lewis97 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Is Ben and Jerry's supposed to still be there? I kind of assumed it'd be demolished but it's still looking pretty untouched?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 pm

TheBeornen wrote:
Stan.H wrote:
TheBeornen wrote:

Yeah maybe not screens as we all don't want tomorrow to be #what'sinthelifthill but I'll happily have sounds because I'd love something like tribal chanting or even a narration style thing like Hex in the madhouse room

I personally think it'll continue the story or 'ritual' on from the queue line, pre-show and indoor segment of the ride... So with that being said, I think tribal sounds could work, alongside with smoke and lighting and maybe projection effects, quite possibly like what we have seen Disney do on BTM's indoor lift hill, as I the flame projection effects would work incredibly, especially with the rides theme! 

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
Is Ben and Jerry's supposed to still be there? I kind of assumed it'd be demolished but it's still looking pretty untouched?

The Ben & Jerry's stand was the only building that survived demolishion, I think it'll open as a Nitrogenie when the new season starts though, Because I don't see Towers having two different brands of the same product.
[Insert Signature Here]

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
S.J_O'Grady wrote:

The Ben & Jerry's stand was the only building that survived demolishion, I think it'll open as a Nitrogenie when the new season starts though, Because I don't see Towers having two different brands of the same product.

It's entirely possible that Ben & Jerrys could return - Thorpe still have both Nitrogenie and Ben & Jerrys. I suspect it will depend on if Towers still have a licence to sell the Ben and Jerrys brand on site.