A ground breaking new attraction is set to open at the Alton Towers Resort in 2018. Follow all the discussion in this dedicated forum.

SW8 Construction Discussion

User avatar
Team Admin
User

Rob

Posts

2260

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Rob » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 am

Recent images really show how large the site is. Certainly going to be an interesting construction to follow with the construction area so open and accessible.
Image
User avatar
Team Admin
User

Ladyofthelake

Posts

3028

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Ladyofthelake » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Having been at the park on Saturday it was interesting to see just how much progress has been made over the closed season. You really would have no idea there The Flume previously occupied the site.

What struck me is just how large an area the construction site is now it's all cleared and the first signs of the ride are appearing. I suspect that with the metal rebarb already in place for the foundations of first turn, it won't be too long before we see more foundations which will really help us see the exact layout prior to vertical construction starting.

It is interesting that the construction site is very visible, especially from the Sky ride, however from what I saw on Saturday I think this really could work in Towers' favour. The fact people could see work going on made them curious about what it was going to be and I heard at least one group say they'd have to come back next year to try the new ride.
Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

Javs

Posts

714

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Javs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am

Great pics Owen and everyone else! Great to be back following another SW Construction. Always great following these with everyone in the forum, old and new members! :)
User avatar
Team Admin
User

Chris

Posts

1784

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Chris » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm glad ATR are not taking silly measures to hide the construction. As it is so visible from the Skyride, they may as well embrace it and get people hyped.

Cedar Point have been a little silly with their new RMC coaster construction by asking enthusiast groups not to take photos of it, even though it is clearly visible from the coastline with a good zoom lens. I'm glad they are not taking the same approach!

The construction site is very exciting, and I look forward to the ride developing over the season.

Keep the pics coming!
Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

MakoMania

Posts

1176

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by MakoMania » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Baffles wrote:Cedar Point have been a little silly with their new RMC coaster construction by asking enthusiast groups not to take photos of it


Well it's worked in stirring up the hype :P
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals!
User avatar
TT Member
User

Stan.H

Posts

938

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Stan.H » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Heres a little update of how construction of SW8 is getting on, all the photos were taken from my trip today!

Enjoy! :D

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Creds to NemesisRider!
Image

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

TT Member
User

Froboi

Posts

3

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Froboi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:57 pm

It also says a 'Ground Breaking' development..

The station looks like it could be partially built underground?? I have a feeling that there maybe sections of track underground also??
User avatar
Community Advocate
User

Justin

Posts

813

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Justin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Interesting development to add to the confusion. This is taken from the Big Six page of Alton's website...

Complete the challenge
The victorious will be rewarded
The Smiler, Air, Nemesis, Rita, TH13TEEN and Oblivion await if you’re brave enough to take them all on. Every guest that completes the challenge is entitled to one free ticket to return on a weekday between the 6th and 30th September 2017.
You can also be in with a chance to with an overnight stay, every selfie taken at one of our selfie stations will be entered into a prize draw to win! Winners will be announced on our social media channels.

Plus, a brand new ground breaking development is currently underway in Mutiny Bay, can you find our hidden 7th check-in point? There is a prize if you find it!
Beat the Big 6 challenge before it becomes the Big 7 in 2018.


https://www.altontowers.com/big-six-challenge
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

Posts

3950

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by lewis97 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Justin wrote:Interesting development to add to the confusion. This is taken from the Big Six page of Alton's website...

Complete the challenge
The victorious will be rewarded
The Smiler, Air, Nemesis, Rita, TH13TEEN and Oblivion await if you’re brave enough to take them all on. Every guest that completes the challenge is entitled to one free ticket to return on a weekday between the 6th and 30th September 2017.
You can also be in with a chance to with an overnight stay, every selfie taken at one of our selfie stations will be entered into a prize draw to win! Winners will be announced on our social media channels.

Plus, a brand new ground breaking development is currently underway in Mutiny Bay, can you find our hidden 7th check-in point? There is a prize if you find it!
Beat the Big 6 challenge before it becomes the Big 7 in 2018.


https://www.altontowers.com/big-six-challenge


:whistle: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=41519&p=855312#p855312
Image
User avatar
Community Advocate
User

Justin

Posts

813

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Justin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Too many topics on same thing :lol
*Head explodes*
Last edited by Dom on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

Capt. Barnacles

Posts

711

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Capt. Barnacles » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am

After being on park sunday I've noticed that foundations are starting to come together for what looks like this bottom-middle turn on TheCodeMaster's recreation, piecing it together you can really start to visualise the layout in the area and it really is gonna be pretty big, I'm actually unable to recall the old location of Flume's station, the site's changed that much. I'm back on park Sunday to get more photos.

Image
Image
Image
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

Posts

21

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Dan_Roe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:06 pm

How much longer do you reckon ground work will carry on for?
User avatar
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

Posts

3950

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by lewis97 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:26 pm

In a somewhat unexpected (and uncharacteristic) move, Towers have cut actual viewing windows into the wooden fence surrounding the SW8 construction site. While obviously some things will still be kept secret until they choose to reveal them, hopefully this indicates the Resort's intention to approach this development much more openly than those in the past, with them realising the potential benefits from embracing the construction process as a way of piquing interest and marketing the new attraction. The photos below are from a post in the MAP Facebook group.

Image

Image

Image
Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

Burniel

Posts

3077

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Burniel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:42 pm

The more open they are about construction, the more certain I am that the "secret" part of this coaster will be in the short indoor section.
Ride Count 2017: 83
Ride Count 2014-17: 793

Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

Kraken

Posts

123

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Kraken » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:34 pm

lewis97 wrote:In a somewhat unexpected (and uncharacteristic) move, Towers have cut actual viewing windows into the wooden fence surrounding the SW8 construction site. While obviously some things will still be kept secret until they choose to reveal them, hopefully this indicates the Resort's intention to approach this development much more openly than those in the past, with them realising the potential benefits from embracing the construction process as a way of piquing interest and marketing the new attraction.


Err, there was at least one viewing window (if not more) in the Air construction fence back in 2001. There was also a banner on the fence inviting guests to "See the future of rollercoaster technology here today". Add to this the proximity to the monorail - Towers built Air very much in public.

Yes, they have kept other ride builds under wraps - Th13teen & Oblivion being obvious examples. That said, now that planning applications can be viewed online, it's very hard for any planning applicant to keep quiet what they are seeking to build.
User avatar
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

Posts

109

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by OhShambhala » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 pm

The latest construction update, thanks to Theme Park Worldwide, shows a large excavation around where the flumes old station was placed and where the future helix is set to be. The hole is significantly large as seen in the video so it must be significant! Thoughts?

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/E9RJuvwlIwU
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

TT Member
User

TheDuke

Posts

77

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by TheDuke » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Kraken wrote:
lewis97 wrote:In a somewhat unexpected (and uncharacteristic) move, Towers have cut actual viewing windows into the wooden fence surrounding the SW8 construction site. While obviously some things will still be kept secret until they choose to reveal them, hopefully this indicates the Resort's intention to approach this development much more openly than those in the past, with them realising the potential benefits from embracing the construction process as a way of piquing interest and marketing the new attraction.


Err, there was at least one viewing window (if not more) in the Air construction fence back in 2001. There was also a banner on the fence inviting guests to "See the future of rollercoaster technology here today". Add to this the proximity to the monorail - Towers built Air very much in public.

Yes, they have kept other ride builds under wraps - Th13teen & Oblivion being obvious examples. That said, now that planning applications can be viewed online, it's very hard for any planning applicant to keep quiet what they are seeking to build.


I mean its more to do with themeing and marketing in terms of air it was something to show off as it was new tech and oblivions themeing is a secret government site, same for thirteen but more its its marketing hinged on the unknown element. So its not all that shocking really it really is free advertising
User avatar
Community Advocate
User

Justin

Posts

813

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Justin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 pm

I think this is a very clever move!

As some say, it is free advertising. We are talking about it within this forum, and I am sure many other forums and social media platforms are also talking about SW8 and sharing posts! Managed right, this is the best type of marketing as it can go viral or trend!

By installing windows, this becomes a live billboard for Alton, as watching the construction of the new coaster will spark conversation amongst guests. On opening weekend, I heard one father and son say to each other that they would have to return next year to try it, and that was on the skyride alone. By opening up the pathways, more opportunities for discussion are given to guests!
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

Tom170499

Posts

340

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by Tom170499 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 pm

It may also be to reassure guests in terms of the safety. If they can see it being built, and being built to a high stabdard, they might feel more secure.
Image
User avatar
TT Member
User

scruffy_

Posts

324

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

by scruffy_ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 am

i'm predicting a lot of water around/under this ride!

If they were planning on having water features, would they have to be on the plans? or does it come under theming?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SonicChips, Tom170499 and 12 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | © wearettsp