UK theme parks from another point of view!

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:57 am

T0mPr1ce wrote:
What is the actual purpose of the change in gradient?

Most likely that it needs to be a certain gradient to get high enough to pass over the brake run but can't carry on at the same gradient as it would get to full height too far away from the turn around, so changes to compensate. Or it could be that there will be a launch on the lift, and the less steep it is the less power needed to get up to a decent speed with the launch. Could be either, or both of those reasons.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:52 am

It's curious how the Themeing structure was being built at a fast pace.. but has now stopped? :-k

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:14 am

PhNx Survivor wrote:
It's curious how the Themeing structure was being built at a fast pace.. but has now stopped? :-k

I would imagine it's so that they can get the track in place ready to complete the layout. I'd expect it's much easier to get the main structure surrounding the track up first rather then the other way around. :)

As for the gradient change all we can do is speculate as we really don't know why it changes! :P

theflamingbrick
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:45 am

PhNx Survivor wrote:
It's curious how the Themeing structure was being built at a fast pace.. but has now stopped?  :-k

I wouldn't say they've definitely stopped on that main themed element. The main shell of steel is always going to fly up. They appear to be doing the more intricate details now which take a lot more time and doesn't show much for the work.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Owen wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:
It's curious how the Themeing structure was being built at a fast pace.. but has now stopped?  :-k

I would imagine it's so that they can get the track in place ready to complete the layout. I'd expect it's much easier to get the main structure surrounding the track up first rather then the other way around. :)

Ah yeah of course, similar to what they did with The Smiler then with the Marmaliser, cheers. :lol
theflamingbrick wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:

I wouldn't say they've definitely stopped on that main themed element. The main shell of steel is always going to fly up. They appear to be doing the more intricate details now which take a lot more time and doesn't show much for the work.

True, like someone stated before, could be installing wiring for effects or such as both sides of the structure have ladders.. time will tell!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm

sorry for the double post.. new update via TPG, shows more lift work done.
http://www.themeparkguide.biz/construction-projects/project-updates/361

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 pm

TowersTimes has also got some photos today which are available on Facebook and the SW8 minisite, with a selection posted below

gddevey1012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 am

T0mPr1ce wrote:

Just as a theory here is this because of the Alton power issues, if they are using LSM/LIM for the launch wouldn't this mean less power drain to launch the train ?

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:02 am

gddevey1012 wrote:
T0mPr1ce wrote:

Just as a theory here is this because of the Alton power issues, if they are using LSM/LIM for the launch wouldn't this mean less power drain to launch the train ?

Don't think it would have anything to do with the power issue as other parks have this problem too from time to time.. remembering the site was home to the flume so the power used on that is in store for SW8, but it could be a possibility to save power.

Just a notice, on the maintenance building there's 2 vertical struts going close or above the roof on both sides, (I think), could this be for signage?

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:29 am

gddevey1012 wrote:
T0mPr1ce wrote:

While it probably isn't anything to do with Alton's power problems as such, if it is a launch then when launching up-hill you are working against gravity and so the steeper the hill the more power is needed. Even if it isn't a launch the same rules apply given that it is an all magnetic lift. So yes I would say that gradient change is most likely so it uses less power for more speed. And it has to be slightly steeper before then so it can get high enough for the clearance envelope to be sufficient when passing over the brake run. Although again, this is speculation (apologies for it in the construction thread).

demz_4
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Anyone been to towers today? any more progress pics of the lift hill at all?

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm

demz_4 wrote:
Anyone been to towers today? any more progress pics of the lift hill at all?

TPG are on park today.. again.. so maybe later, will keep checking. 

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:51 pm

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday to get some photos of whatever goes on.
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Regarding the change in incline - doesn't the track pass under the lift at this point? It could be a case of rising out of the deeper bit to get over said track.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Regarding the change in incline - doesn't the track pass under the lift at this point? It could be a case of rising out of the deeper bit to get over said track.

Bearing in mind that the lift hill is now at a lower gradient than it first was, the track underneath will not be so low either as that track has to pass over a pathway I believe.. if you check the drawings you can see the height difference from the lift track going over the drop track.. could be a similar beginning to Nemesis as that first bit after the lift gets a major speed increase from a small gradient.

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Latest photos from Theme Park Guide show bents for the first drop off the lift going in, indicating a sizeable height change quite early on. Plus more and more bents for the lift hill with the gap for the access road now defined too.

ImageImageImage
Source: TPG Facebook

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:40 pm

I've literally just seen this myself on their website.. forget what I said before that's quite a height difference! Getting excited about this now!

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Whilst on park today several more bents of the lift went up, up to the ones that are in for the first drop, but not much else happening. Getting close to the top now!

Picture is my own.

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Hell this is getting big! How far to the top of the lift though?
We were born to fly...

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:48 am

Not much further. There'll be another gap at the bottom after that end for clearance on the drop, then it'll probably be up to the crest. Getting really excited seeing this all flying up! :)