UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Getting exciting now! Keep on linking the updates from around the web. :)

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:59 pm

The gradient change is very obvious on some photos I have seen, I've never seen that on a coaster before. Very interesting...
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

Stu72
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:07 pm

A few photos from this morning.

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Based on the wider planks at the top of each support, there doesn't seem to be a gradient change at all actually.

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:48 pm

It doesn't look to have a very big first drop, similar to Nemesis. Will the drop be a curved drop, similar to Mystic Timbers, or a flat turn followed by a straight down drop? ;)
We were born to fly...

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:08 pm

118hazaman wrote:
Based on the wider planks at the top of each support, there doesn't seem to be a gradient change at all actually.

I could be mistaking the gradient change with the crest of the lift. I really do not know...
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:39 pm

ATI wrote:
It doesn't look to have a very big first drop, similar to Nemesis. Will the drop be a curved drop, similar to Mystic Timbers, or a flat turn followed by a straight down drop? ;)

Whatever style it is, John Wardley said at TTSP@15 that it will be a lot more thrilling than originally planned before his input.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Chris wrote:
ATI wrote:

Whatever style it is, John Wardley said at TTSP@15 that it will be a lot more thrilling than originally planned before his input.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release footage/audio of this talk at some point in the future for those of us who couldn't be there? (Sorry for going off topic)
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am

MakoMania wrote:
Chris wrote:
ATI wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release footage/audio of this talk at some point in the future for those of us who couldn't be there? (Sorry for going off topic)

We will be making this available on our YouTube channel at some point in the near future, I can't confirm when exactly at the moment though! :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:31 am

I saw the first lift hill with my eyes for the first time today.  The photos don't give you the true sense how high this  is from the base to the top  and I've been told that there is a couple more meters to be added on top.  You also can now clearly see where the track enters through the main wicker-man structure through the three points, looks like you all will be ducking your heads.  

This ride is now beginning to look stunning and I'm now getting very excited about it 

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:28 am

Photos really don't show the true scale of the site or the ride construction, the metal structure is huge.

The more i see how the ride is shaping up the more i am getting excited about the whole project and ride. Only slight concern is that we have seen very little promotion of the new coaster.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Rob wrote:
Only slight concern is that we have seen very little promotion of the new coaster.

I think this is more of a good thing to be completely honest - they're not pulling a Th13teen on us whereas too much hype is built up too early for the coaster and it ends up being underwhelming, especially for a lot of the GP. This is a medium sized family coaster by the looks of it, it doesn't need a massive hype build up like a large scale thrill ride to be successful in my opinion. For now, the ride is quite exposed which is partially advertisement in itself, whilst keeping an air of mystery about it. Although more information will certainly build up hype, I still think that it's a little too early for that stage.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pm

These photos posted in the MAP Facebook group show today's progress with the lift/launch hill supports over the first drop now in place.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 pm

Some images from my visit yesterday and today. 

Work has really progressed on the lift hill supports, with the gap for the first drop now in place and it nearing its high point: 
Also, the supports for the first drop have started to be installed: 
Further down the site, the wall surrounding the start of the lift hill has been constructed, as pointed out by Shawn Sanbrook in his most recent SW8 construction update over on Theme Park Worldwide: 

Meanwhile, work on the theming structure seems to have slowed at the moment, and work continues to remove mud from the site following the excavations: 

There is also a lot of piping (presumably for drainage) sitting at the bottom end, ready to be installed: 

It is right what others have said about the scale of this development in person. The theming feature is huge and the lift hill can be seen from various points around the area. I really am looking forward to SW8 a lot more after seeing it in person. 

*EDIT* I realise only after posting my pictures that Lewis has shared pretty similar ones... mine seem slightly redundant now. 

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 pm

It's interesting to see that grass is growing in the area of the first drop. If it is meant to be growing, won't any vehicles destroy it before it's ready?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Robert W wrote:
It's interesting to see that grass is growing in the area of the first drop. If it is meant to be growing, won't any vehicles destroy it before it's ready?

Vehicles won't be driving about in that area now that the foundations are finished and all that's really left to do is for the crane to lift the bents into place.

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:48 am

you can see why its ground breaking now the caster will look like it hugs the landscape a bit like nemesis

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:11 pm

TowersStreet have just made an interesting point about the height differences.. compared to the top of the lift and to the lowest section of the theming element, apparently the height difference is huge, which would basically mean this coaster gonna be pulling off some serious speed at points!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Don't know if you've been on park recently PhNx but you can see the landscape of this attraction is all sorts of heights. You can see they've had to go down somewhat to achieve what they want. This is a very early mockup based on plans someone created probably the Nemesis guy and is mostly accurate but yes I believe it will be a very nippy coaster going around the track.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc