UK theme parks from another point of view!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:46 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
They've covered the maintenance building quickly.. don't suppose it couldn't have anything inside waiting for us?

I thought this also. I mentioned a few months ago that the track leading from the maintenance building to the station (as well as the track leading from the break run to the mainetence building) had the same base tunnel structure as the the top of the lift does currently. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but at the time I was pretty certain.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 pm

The curved flat section of track does baffle me. Surely it cannot be going at any decent speed during this part without banking, leading to a complete dead spot?

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 am

Unless GCI and Merlin are aiming for some laterals to give a sense of 'out-of-contolness'. But still, for the ride to be safe it can't be going too quick... :-k
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am

Maybe this is where John Wardley had his input :lol

(Won't let me quote you T0mPr1ce) As for the same structure under the top of the lift, in the maintenance building, this could just be transfer track segments, but it does beg the question that they cover the entrance of the maintenance building up with a tunnel (eventually) and the exit of the maintenance building again with a tunnel so you can't see people's reactions, are they trying to hide something in that maintenance building.. similar to Mystic Timbers?
Seize The Day, Or Die Regretting, The Time You Lost..

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am

As long as they don't mention anything about what  happens inside there, then a) if there is nothing, we won't be let down too much and b) if there is something there will be a nice surprise! :)
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 am

Can't argue with that :)

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 am

Sound logic, but what needs to happen is for everyone to remember that they've said nothing, so don't get TOO hooked on the idea that there might be some scene or special effects inside maintenance. It's too easy to do and just leads to disappointment if opening day arrives, everyone's expecting something, and then there being nothing.

@Chris - According to some friends stateside GCIs are known for lateral heavy rides. This is just what I've been told, obviously we can't take too much about what the pacing will be like on SW8 yet just from that :)
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

demz_4
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm

would have liked to have seen some nice black cobble stones going down instead of red blocked paving :( doesn't seem to go with the theme to well seeings as they have been making the station appear 'aged' etc

RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I've no idea as to why they don't use printed concrete. It's becoming more popular in driveways and the like. Surely it'd be much easier than laying them ugly bricks.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:03 pm

RobJackson85 wrote:
I've no idea as to why they don't use printed concrete. It's becoming more popular in driveways and the like. Surely it'd be much easier than laying them ugly bricks.

I'm not exactly sure why you think that the pathways are ugly, but I'm quite happy they didn't, but that's my personal opinion. It's quite nice that they're taking the time to use more premium materials.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:06 pm

This brick paving is traditional at Alton Towers and I think we should be grateful that we're getting block paving unlike the plain concrete that we got on the last SW.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Think it'll be better for drainage of water over the bricks/surfaces, take The Smiler for example, the amount of times there are huge puddles due to bad planning of drainage is rather high, don't think AT will want to do that again, but I do agree that the bricks could of been a nice graphite colour, to match the building.. However, since it's close to the bents in that area, it suits with the coaster colour (wood obviously). Also over time, darker bricks will not look as nice due to nature, whereas reddish bricks will look nice in practically all seasons if well maintained.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Few pics from today: http://imgur.com/a/IYLou

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Is the whole coaster structure in place bar the track work? Or is there still a some more support structure to be added?
We were born to fly...

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Red is all the bents that have gone up. I do believe now almost all the foundations are complete.
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the whole area comes together around the coaster, which seems is very nearly finished! The station theming is interesting... it strikes me as a little bit dull, but we have only seen a tiny bit of what the end product will look like, so hopefully it will it will look a bit brighter when all the scaffolds are down and there is more theming and vegetation / trees around the area.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 am

It's quite far ahead of where I thought they would be right now with regards to construction.. I'd give another 3/4 weeks and we'll have a full Coaster structure complete.. cant wait to see the rest of the area take shape!

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:18 am

I'm really liking how this looks off ride at the moment can't wait to see it when all the themeings in. It looks very smooth from the last batch of pictures. I reckon we'll see some themeing unveiled at scarefest or just before it

Teammaddiz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 pm

Took another video of the SW8 site today with a quick realisation half way through that the Skyride from Forbidden Valley to the park entrance passes over the Mutiny Bay Courtyard for a quick look at the maze layout for The Welcoming: Be Chosen (stop watching 44 seconds in if you don't want any spoilers what so ever, although nothing really can be seen at the moment):
Video

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 am

Just looking at the pictures on Facebook, that first turn after the lift hill is more banked than I thought it would be, looks similar to Nemesis beginning in a way..