UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 am

Robert W wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
Robert W wrote:
Well... I quite enjoyed the update! It's great to see some of the theming coming together! I also really like the way the station theme is going with the weathered wood cladding. I also really like the idea of having a rock wall, but they could have used real rick couldn't they?! Still, I'm sure once fully themed it will look great!

I think we need to be grateful that we're getting a themed wall rather than a simple concrete one. They really seem to be going for the theming with SW8, even little things like the wooden land braces that they have installed around the footers.

I never said that I was ungrateful... I merely just thought it more logical to use the real rock that AT already have. 

I know, I was being sarcastic.
Much of the real rock that AT have is being used as path borders. It doesn't seem like they have excavated much from the SW8 site as it looked to be mostly softer soil/mud. Compared to how much they took from the Nemesis site, there wasn't much taken out. Maybe if they had gone a little deeper, they might have extracted more.

stevebrown
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 am

Tom170499 wrote:
Robert W wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:

I think we need to be grateful that we're getting a themed wall rather than a simple concrete one. They really seem to be going for the theming with SW8, even little things like the wooden land braces that they have installed around the footers.

I never said that I was ungrateful... I merely just thought it more logical to use the real rock that AT already have. 

Much of the real rock that AT have is being used as path borders. It doesn't seem like they have excavated much from the SW8 site as it looked to be mostly softer soil/mud. Compared to how much they took from the Nemesis site, there wasn't much taken out. Maybe if they had gone a little deeper, they might have extracted more.

Isn't it true that a lot of the rock excavated when they dug the Nemesis pit has been used around the park as path and planting borders?

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:28 am

stevebrown wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
Robert W wrote:

Isn't it true that a lot of the rock excavated when they dug the Nemesis pit has been used around the park as path and planting borders?

It is. A lot of it can be seen in Katanga Canyon. They also sold some of it to other companies. 

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:38 am

The majority of the rock taken off that sheer cliff face in the loop pit is actually the stone pillars dotted around upper Forbidden Valley. You can see the drilling marks from where the blasting charges went.
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Colinweir
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm

First time posting on the forum but been following it for a while. After having a look through the recent photos of the construction site I'm really excited to see its completion and opening! Up in Scotland so don't get down that often, however there with the kids in about four weeks and looking forward to seeing the progress!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Welcome to the forums Colin :D

Anyway SW8 is looking great. The layout might not be the strongest for GCI but it will certainly be a great addition to Towers. I'm just wondering what the top speed of this thing will be; usually GCI coasters have a good pace.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:53 am

Tom170499 wrote:
Robert W wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:

Oops! It's kind of difficult to detect sarcasm from written words! 
As for the amount of rock they have, don't they have an area at the very far end of the resort with rocks from Nemesis? They still could have used that? I'm not complaining though, if AT want to spend money on a themed wall rather than just recycling old materials, that's fine by me!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:03 am

Robert W wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
Robert W wrote:

Oops! It's kind of difficult to detect sarcasm from written words! 
As for the amount of rock they have, don't they have an area at the very far end of the resort with rocks from Nemesis? They still could have used that? I'm not complaining though, if AT want to spend money on a themed wall rather than just recycling old materials, that's fine by me!

Never mind :)

All of the rock from the Nemesis site is being used throughout the resort. There’s some in Katanga Canyon, some in Forbidden Valley and a lot has been used for planting borders.

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

Though it wont be the best GCI or woody it shaping up to a very solid experience. I a weird way I see this becoming an icon (heh) of the park in the future sort of like nemesis obviously not as good but its shaping up to be a solid experience

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Saw the following image on Twitter, and was intrigued by the posts which have appeared in the middle of the site. They appear to connect to the point where block paving for the queue-line currently finished, so I wonder if they may be indicative of more the queue-line's route.

DAN31
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 pm

When do you think we will start to see unveilings?? like the Name, theme, statue etc??

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Saw the following image on Twitter, and was intrigued by the posts which have appeared in the middle of the site. They appear to connect to the point where block paving for the queue-line currently finished, so I wonder if they may be indicative of more the queue-line's route.

If that is for the queue then they have changed the queue layout.. Didn't think we'd have to climb through the supports for the queue :lol
Also the roof for the Pre-Show building is done by the looks of it.
Seize The Day, Or Die Regretting, The Time You Lost..

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I hope it's some form of viewing zone (like what we were promised with The Smiler)

A bit like how Nemesis's Helix is a feature in of itself, even if you're not riding you can walk right up to it

RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 pm

^I think it'll be more for aesthetics or theming, not a wall or fence for anything. Looking at the terrain levels, if it were for viewing or access, it wouldn't be as hilly.

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Regarding those posts, the tall ones you can see in the image are presumably for a fence that will just divide the area slightly. They're about 2m tall. Shorter 1.2m fence posts have been put in all the way along the existing path just behind the fence, and further down towards the flume turnaround too. Also happening yesterday was the catwalks over the bunny hill on the first drop going in, and the wooden frame for the unit marked as an HB Leisure games unit has gone up too. One more thing notable was some concrete pouring happening in the middle of the flume turnaround too.Image

Last edited by Capt. Barnacles on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Jcoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 pm

can't wait to see them!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:26 am

Was on site for the first time this year yesterday, see what you guys mean now by the shear size of the thing in person.. not much has changed from the photos previously showed, although more bents have been put up for those 3 corners near the station.

Also those posts that have been put up, I do believe that they will not be for the queue, as they lead to nowhere, so will be a divider for areas I believe, the queue seems to go along the temporary fence to where the queue starts now, so looks like they have possibly changed it again. Apart from that nothing else changed, looks fantastic though!
Seize The Day, Or Die Regretting, The Time You Lost..

boarderkarl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:21 pm

i cant help but notice the way the lift hill changes angle 1/3 of the way up...
im thinking maybe a launch out of the preshow building?

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:43 pm

boarderkarl wrote:
i cant help but notice the way the lift hill changes angle 1/3 of the way up...
im thinking maybe a launch out of the preshow building?

You're late to the thread! ;D
We were born to fly...

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:46 pm

So I got some SW8 photos yesterday, Nothing to major but I'll post them here anyway. 

Now, The theming structure is huge, It'll certainly be impressive when it's unveiled. 
Also you can now see SW8 from the front lawns of Alton Towers which is impressive as you'll be able to see it walking to it. This project certainly gets more interesting day by day. I can't wait for the announcement. 

Also I've overheard a lot of the GP talk about SW8, they seem to be excited that Alton Towers is getting a wooden roller coaster, not once did I hear 'It looks really dangerous because it's wood', So I'm glad Merlin took the risk with getting a woodie!  :D
[Insert Signature Here]