UK theme parks from another point of view!

cactuselves
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Some more photos on instagram show the banking of the first curve really well. This has to be launched with banking like that immediately after the crest of the lift hill.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BWkgCJxgGRT/

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:06 pm

New construction windows round the front.

A Towers staple, Scaffolding has appeared on the theming structure. 

The first turn around GCI structure is in place. 

Better shot of first drop, appears to be banked.

Credit TS Facebook.
Bert2theSpark, Your number one person to go to on inaccurate stuff...

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Of course it's banked. Saw it yesterday, the height change is much more than the pictures seem to indicate.
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:58 pm

It certainly doesn't look like it has a launch to me, looking at the banking angles. It just looks like a fast lift hill if anything.

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:54 pm

15th July update

Just a few extra images from me from yesterday drawing attention to something else, these were taken 10 minutes before ride close (and I still got over to X-Sector to have another round on Smiler in in that time ;) ).

Just to point out something that nowhere else has, several new bents have gone up near the theming element, leading off both the lower pass-throughs towards the pathway. One set clearly leading up into the old flume turnaround indicates there may be some serious height to that turn. Also worth noting is a significant amount more steel beams are lined up around the element, meaning we could see more added to it soon! The trench being built through the turnaround foundations is becoming clearer, and topsoil has been laid between the concrete for the turnaround closer to the lift. Amazingly as well, even more L plates have gone in and what's done is almost completely plated up. I've thrown in a couple overview shots too for a general update.

EDIT: Upon careful thought, I've realised there's a possibility that the big pallet of wood seen here COULD be for track layering!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Excellent Photos, Captain! Thanks to everyone posting pics for us people who can't get to the park.

It's great seeing this coaster slowly appear, and these pics really show the scale of the site. It's think it's going to easily be the best looking ride in the park.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Great photos there, great to see those bents coming out of the structure. 

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for the photos and updates again guys, it's really starting to take shape!

Need to get up there myself go take a look. :)

andy_sj
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Great photos everyone, I live up in not so sunny Scotland and I'm lucky if I get a trip to Towers once every 2-3 years so I really appreciate them!

I really don't see the lift being launched, the banking looks much like any other dropping turn off a lift, I think it will be a LIM/LSM type lift hill but it won't fly over the top in the way that Lightning Rod does. Alton have probably gone for LIM/LSM's to reduce noise levels more than anything.

It's great to see the track going in through the theming element, should be some good head chopped in among that lot!

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Shameless plug of my video from Friday: https://youtu.be/yYPSWYxrwq8

The first drop does look more banked than say Wodan however the curve also seem tighter. I thought it was already confirmed it'll have a 'Magnetic Launch' which I take as an LSM assisted launch, maybe 10mph at the most. The curve looks too tight to have any real speed after the lift hill.

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Great update! It's looking as if it's gonna be more thrilling coaster than I first thought it would be!

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 am

looks like some extra smaller metal parts have been added to the structure at the top?
I just can under stand why there is so many metal parts to the top of the structure. it seems really over engineered at the moment for what it is. must be more to come  

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am

andy_sj wrote:
Great photos everyone, I live up in not so sunny Scotland and I'm lucky if I get a trip to Towers once every 2-3 years so I really appreciate them!

I really don't see the lift being launched, the banking looks much like any other dropping turn off a lift, I think it will be a LIM/LSM type lift hill but it won't fly over the top in the way that Lightning Rod does. Alton have probably gone for LIM/LSM's to reduce noise levels more than anything.

It's great to see the track going in through the theming element, should be some good head chopped in among that lot!

I agree with what you are suggesting regards the lift hill technology. Within the planning documents they referred to it as a "silent lift" or words to that effect, so it does seem to be more about noise than anything else. We all know that chain lifts on wooden coasters do tend to be considerably louder than their steel counterparts and with the close proximity to neighbouring residential properties on Wootton Lane it seems to make sense.

On both of Alton Towers recent coaster construction projects Th13teen and The Smiler we have seen noise reducing technologies utilised on the lift hills. Th13teen using kicker wheels instead of a traditional chain drive and The Smiler using a magnetic anti roll back system as opposed to the standard noisey dog and rack system.

We also know how often Alton Towers struggle with electrical power issues, both LIM and LSM launch systems require considerable amounts of electrical load to rapidly accelerate a train, I'm not sure that Towers has the necessary infrastructure to do something like that at this present time. It's more likely that there will just be a steady acceleration up the lift hill, not the kind of rapid launch used on Lightning Rod at Dollywood.

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 pm

simononestop wrote:
looks like some extra smaller metal parts have been added to the structure at the top?
I just can under stand why there is so many metal parts to the top of the structure. it seems really over engineered at the moment for what it is. must be more to come  

Those metal attachments to the top structure are harness cables for traversing the structure before track and catwalk installation. Seeing them up close they have the necessary attachments that this is all they could be. They're certainly not permanent as the cables drape straight across the middle of each bent.

Guitar
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Tom wrote:
On both of Alton Towers recent coaster construction projects Th13teen and The Smiler we have seen noise reducing technologies utilised on the lift hills. Th13teen using kicker wheels instead of a traditional chain drive and The Smiler using a magnetic anti roll back system as opposed to the standard noisey dog and rack system.

The magnetic anti roll back system isn't just anti noise. For sure the low noise helps, but the primary reason for using that is the fact it is a non-contact system so it doesn't wear out like dog and rack does, reducing maintainence needs.

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 pm

These are just over a week ago, showing the concrete structure mid-lift;

Do you think this has some baring on the lift mechanism?

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Great photos, I couldn't get a close up view on my last trip.

I would guess it's to do with the lift/launch. If it is an LSM style launch then it will need a cooling system and potentially a battery/capacitor as to not strain the power grid too much. The control system also needs somewhere to live. These, within reason, can live anywhere but I guess under the lift hill is probably a good idea.

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Looking at those pictures Hursty, I may have found potential debunking for the 'LSM propelled lift' theory of SW8's lift. InvadR, the GCI family woodie at Busch Gardens Williamsburg opened this year, had a near identical concrete shape poured for what I've read was the lift motor housing. If this is to be considered the same thing, then I'm guessing SW8 is chain driven with magnetic anti-rollbacks, same as The Smiler.

Image source: InvadR construction blog

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Sorry Dan but the lift hill has already been confirmed to be utilising LSM technology. The question mark at the moment is just how much of a "launch" the lift will bring.

Froboi
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

I still believe they will enclose parts of the track into tunnels within the landscaping too??

Ground-breaking element??