Been to a theme park recently or planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some helpful tips for your next visit.

User

badger

Re: Mini Meet - 14th March - SAW:The Ride

by badger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Don't forget that I won't be attending because I will be doing a FOUR HOUR SPINNATHON to raise money for the Douglas MacMillian Fund.
Just remember how much my legs are going to hurt while you are all having fun queuing for SAW.

SO ENJOY IT....AND....SCREAM FOR ME!

:clap:
TT Member
User

stigzy

by stigzy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

So even though I paid £5 for the Friday, it kind of clashes with work! Never mind, me and our pige might be there on Saturday instead.

TT Member
User

Danzaw*nk

by Danzaw*nk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 pm

We gonna get some food afterward at Hungry Horse or wherever? :)
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

User

Dean

by Dean » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:45 pm

Yes i think that's the plan...

User

Craig

by Craig » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Live update from excrement park - an absolute shambles for a THIRD YEAR running. Rides down all over the shop, saw included it seems potentially for the whole day.

The now traditional guest services chat is now ongoing. I'm normally quite forgiving of park c0ckups but this is ridiculous!
TT Member
User

Shent

by Shent » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:06 pm

sounds like a normal day for thorpe then!
SHENT:  The one and only... :sus:

User

Anonymous

by Anonymous » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Right. :shock:

I am ashamed to be a theme park enthusiast to be honest, If I was to have taken a member of my family or a non-enthusiast with me today I would have been so embarrassed that I probably would have just got into the car and gone home.

Which is what I would have done if there wasn't such good friends there today, who even though was all pissed off still managed to hold it together and have a laugh on what was a totally shambolic trainwreck of a piss-poor theme park.

The day in summary pretty much went like this. Upon entering TP at 11am there was already a 2.5hr queue for Sawpoint: The Ride and other rides showing 99 minutes on the display board (the maximum time it will show on the dot matrix)

We started to make our way down to Sawpoint: The Ride to see the area being evacuated due to the ride going down, now.. not only did they empty the queue line but they closed the photo kiosks and the shop in the area, so even people who would not have necessarily wanted to go on the ride, couldn't even have a look at the theming or even watch the street actors who were down there. Just to finish on Saw, it didn't open at all after 11.20am ish, and with a barrage of excuses, and staff members not giving information out.

Its also worth mentioning that our group had refunds on their meals in Pizza Hut Buffet today (well all but £2 - which I believe was the price of the drink)
The place wasn't exactly full but one of the ovens was down so they were bringing out 1 pizza every 2/3 minutes but with 20/30 people standing around the hot plate the pizza was gone in seconds. The staff in there are also a ddisgrace rude, ignorant and speak very bad English.

To summarise I have listed the rides below and what the situation was with them in the day so I dont start ranting on:-

Saw The Ride :: Closed all day apart from 1hr 10mins in morning
Stealth :: Closed all day due to missing parts
Nemesis Inferno :: Down for 90 minutes
Colossus :: Was down more than up all day
Tidal Wave :: Open but only on 2 boats
Rush :: Had downtime issues throughout the day
Samurai :: Was down more than up all day
Vortex :: Open
Slammer :: Closed all day
Detonator :: Had downtime issues
X: WTF :: Went down once for 1hr I believe
Loggers Leap :: Closed all day due to missing parts
Flying Fish :: Open MACK FTW!
Rumba Rapids :: Closed all day (was told 2pm but never happened)
Quantum :: Open
Depth Charge :: Open
Mr Monkeys Banana Ride :: Closed all day
Storm In A Teacup :: Open

Annual pass holders were entitled to a priority pass each for being messed around by the park. Ticket purchases were given free tickets to come back another day , which was a joke also as it was only to be used in May/June

To be honest, this park is a joke it doesn't deserve repeat custom.

On a more positive note, the antics on the tidal wave bridge did it for me today, Haven't laughed so hard in ages, certainly lifted the spirits for me.

THORPE PARK YOU SUCK. THAT IS ALL
TT Member
User

Vik

by Vik » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 pm

In some respects I had an okish day today, only due to the company, and not because of how wonderful (Not!), Thorpe Park is. It was good to catch up with some people like Danza, who I hadn't seen for almost a year. And just good to have a meet up somewhere else other than Alton Towers.

But, had I of been a paying guest today, I would of been very disappointed indeed. At one point, when Astro asked a member of staff why nearly all the rides were closed, she said, "Well, Inferno's open". As if saying, well theres one ride open, what more do you want.

I had made a 450 mile round trip, and others, such as Craig, travelling even further, for the main reason of riding the much publicized, highly anticipated, SAW The ride. So felt rather short changed, when I am told all you can get is a fastrack ticket for SAW for a future date. DO I really want to risk another long drive to find it closed again?

Up until today, I, personally, had never really had a bad day a Thorpe, in terms of ride availability, but today was a real eye opener on how Thorpe just can not run their rides well. Masses of people walking round saying "everythings closed", and a lot of people heading off before 3pm really isn't good.

Oh yes, and the Pizza Hut buffet that never was. eat all you want, only problem is, theres noting for you to eat, unless you like hotplates. :shock: . Got a refund, not quite a full refund, but they really didn't want to give us that, at one point trying to give us a £50 note to somehow split between 8 of us who originally asked for our money back. At one point the manager said "The foods just been put out now". Erm, so whys there nothing there then?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

User

Crofty

by Crofty » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:41 am

How the hell can they still be justifying the Fastracks as a good form of compensation for annual pass holders? Especially when paying guests are being given a refund. I still don;t need to buy an annual pass because last season I managed to get a free day at thorpe for 2009 and 2 free days at Alton towers (love from Thorpe.)
I think complaints should now bypass Thorpe Park and head straight to Merlin and the press.
How many chances are they entitled to?

Now the facility is in place to renew annual Passes then maybe they should look at a free month as a form of compensation.

The pictures of the ride I looked at yesterday really impressed me but they have let themselves down yet again and in a bigger manor than ever as the media have been watching.

Just glad I didn't go now. I'll just go on Speed with my eyes closed and hold a knife to my throat for the Saw effect. :lol:

:D :D
TT Member
User

Mattia

by Mattia » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Update from park: Park-wide power cut and still no SAW :(

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

User

Anonymous

by Anonymous » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Power cut :clap: :clap: Yey!

Update from the guys down there: They have all left Thorpe and are now going into London for the day.
TT Member
User

Mattia

by Mattia » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Ok,

My little trip report.

Got to Thorpe Park at 9:30am. I didn't get into the park until 10:30am. A whole hour was wasted by me getting my annual pass! However, when i asked for a renewal i was printed off a ticket and told to come back when it was quieter as it was too busy to print it at the moment. So, already fed up and in an annoyed mood, i decided to accept this and wonder into the park. First impressions were that i loved the stilt walkers around the main entrance, no music playing or anything in the main entrance/kiosks area or the bridge was a little let down. Entered the dome and all seemed good so far, place full of life and quite a good atmosphere. I exited from the lower dome and out of the exit by Quantum, this was the first ride i saw experiencing "technical delays" and was evacuated...not good.

Walked past a gorgeous rush, working on two swings and then headed upto the SAW island to meet the rest of the TTFers. Upon getting there, i was greeted by a nice little island, loving the police car and the shop and general area. As not all of us were here yet we decided to go down to Colossus. Oh, woops, nah that wasn't available. Rush it is then. Oh dear, looks like we can't ride that either, technical difficulties. So we decided to go and sit around depth charge. With some of us riding nothing yet, we decided to queue for Depth charge (which had the most annoying music ever) and this was my first little ride of the day - didn't like the tatty look of the beach from the queueline though, doesn't look like they've paid much attention to the themeing nearest to depth charge.

We then had everyone on board and saw that Rush was now working again with a 20min queue, so we queued up for rush – again little effort has gone into themeing here, Rush’s main sign was peeling off! However, was great to see it working well on two swings. After this, we headed down to SAW (now about 11:15) and this is when the day began to go wrong. SAW had broken down upon arrival over the island. One of the stilt actors was ace, really made us laugh with some of the gestures and comments he made. However, the other was crap (and she heard me say so) ahh well, poor love will get over it.

Anyways, so as SAW was being evacuated we decided to hang around a bit and enter the shop, and give the police car a few messages too. But this didn't last long as they decided after a while to corner off the entire island at around quater to 12. The group decided it was Guest Services time whilst Kryn, Ryn, Dean and Myself decided to stay and wait. We waited and we waited and SAW tested and stopped, tested and stopped...etc. Then they decided to play a park wide announcement that SAW was experiencing technical delays and that we would be notified on its return to normal operation (rather worrying they already had a pre-recorded announcement saying this). The staff also didn't know what was going on, they were all telling us different things. "Saw will be open soon", "Saw will be open in the afternoon", "We don't know when saw will open" and one security guard said "It will not being opening today, it's a very very low possibility that it may re-open." I liked her - she was a true speaking member of staff, until she said "every ride has problems, even Disney have this" *gasps* whatta cow! I don't think so love, jog on...

Anyway, after about an hour of waiting and watching them even put water dummies on the ride, we left and went to join the others in pizza hut. Passing a broken down samurai, a broken down/testing colossus, a broken rush, a broken X...not good. We entered pizza hut and the unthinkable happened. They had the broken down bug too! One of their ovens had broken down, meaning that they were allowing guests in but there was hardly any food for the "all day buffet" - shambles. And the staff? Well, completely rude, trying to fob people of with a semi-refund etc.

We then heard that Rumba would be opening at 2pm (rumba was actually operating but wasn't open to the public), so at around 2 we left pizza hut and went to wait at rumba. I actually thought "finally thorpe have seen the need to try and get another ride ready..." but on now, 30 mins later another announcement came on "Rumba rapids will not be opening today". At this point the morale of the group was even lower. We all waited around near Inferno as some went off to exit-pass Inferno. After this, i decided as it was quiet (around 2:45) i would go back to the AP office to print my pass. I walked back toward the dome, walking over litter, going past a busy guest services and experiencing dire, broken and disgusting toilets in the lower dome. I walked over the bridge to see people already leaving and asking where to get their free park ticket and priority tickets. The staff members on the gates pointed the AP office. As they arrived they were told to go back to the kiosks (main of them had no patience which is understandable). I waited about 5 mins, i went over and a lovely lady printed my pass. She asked me if i had rode saw, i replied "nope, was broken down" and she told me they've had teething problems and that it's common. She then said that they had been instructed to print masses and masses of priority passes and entrance tickets due to the sheer amount of rides down and complaints – wow Thorpe, you even know you’re not good at these things so you’re preparing yourselves already? Awww. After this i headed down to Flying Fish to meet some of the TTFers and what a ride that was, beautifully presented....the ponds looked dire and one wasn’t even filled :|

After the fish we were all so low from Thorpe we decided to head on over to the glass house. We sat down and it was nice to just chat and we’d also found out that at one point in the afternoon for a prolonged period of time. All four of Thorpe’s major coasters were down. We then decided to head over to XNWO as it had quite a short queue. So, leaving the bar at around half four we walked down to X. Nice to see some work had gone into X, the entrance that is and also the new lighting in the station was quite cool. Upon exiting X (and my overly long wait to get my bag back thanks to Kryn) we heard the end of day music blaring out, this marked Guest Services time. When, once again we complained about certain issues and problems with Mr Stu filling out a complaints form ticking nearly every single box on the sheet. :lol:

We decided to leave at around 5:30 to go and obtain our SAW priority pass tickets and were greeted by a HUGE queue waiting with only three kiosks open. We began to queue but our problem was solved thanks to ChrisTT who had organised our groups tickets already. I was told by Cod that my annual pass was bust too as they hadn’t printed off my ID number, so off I went back to the AP office. After a while of waiting they printed it off again, only for the same thing to happen and I was told “there’s nothing I can do, must be the printer” – thanks babe, you’re a help!

After a while of banter we all decided to call it a day, and what a day it was. It was around 5:45/6 now and the group left and we said our goodbyes. I remained, waiting for my lift and decided to have a little wonder. First of all, I think it was awful to see Thorpe staff sitting near the entrance and on the kerbs around the area smoking and texting, I still felt that Thorpe should show their professionalism until exiting the car park. I walked over to where I could see Saw and had now seen that power lights had been put on and men working on different areas of the ride, frantically trying to sort it out. I left at 6:45 and I think, if it wasn’t for TTF and the laughs and smiles I had and shared, I would have actually cried – it was so stressful and annoying to witness what we did on Saturday. None of us left with positives about Thorpe. So yeah, all in all a complete bitch of a day!

Was absolutely wonderful to see so many people, especially those I haven’t seen in an age (since Thorpe Blast and even TTF Bank hol meet in August) and also great to meet some others that I hadn’t before, you all made the day worth it – you honestly did!

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.
TT Member
User

stigzy

by stigzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I tend to make about 3-5 visit to Thorpe Park each year and y'know as odd as it sounds - I am still yet to experience a total shambolic day at Thorpe Park as such. The worst I've ever experienced was Stealth throwing hissy fits and running on one train during early 2007, as well as the usual 10-30 minute ride hiccups here and there throughout the day. I've been on hectic days before and know how infuriatingly packed to the gunwales the place can get, which was entirely my reason for not making an appearance on Saturday or today. My original plan was to go on Friday, but it kind of clashed with work !

I love Thorpe Park, it's such a refreshing change and is probably my best UK theme park. Even though however, I cannot defend the place from such bad comments. Because in all fairness, the place deserves the dirty comments and bad press it gets! Having hardly any rides open during the special opening weekend for and including Saw The Ride is a total disorganized muddle!

Sure ride hiccups, although shouldn't be in an ideal world, but are to be expected on brand new rides. But being closed all day is taking the blatant piss. Having tried and tested other major attractions closed or inundated with down time throughout the day as well, goes beyond taking the piss and renders the day somewhat pointless and better spent elsewhere. Due to their new toy, I predict that Thorpe Park will be pretty busy all year round this year. With that and the touch and go ride availability from the shocking reports above, I don't think I'll make another journey down there this year.

Bad times. :ashamed:

User

Anonymous

by Anonymous » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:35 pm

Thorpe Park is responsible for everything that goes wrong in that park - people should stop making excuses for them.

I heard something so funny last night from someone who will remain anonymous, but apparently the senior-management were embarrassed walking around on park yesterday. To me thats just the funniest thing.

Its about time they stand up for their shitness and actually start giving something back to the customers, before they loose them all for good.

Just so you know its not biased with the old Alton Towers vs Thorpe Park debate, have a look on these following forums (who was also in attendance yesterday)

[url=http://www.ride-guide.co.uk/" target="_blank]http://www.ride-guide.co.uk/[/url]
[url=http://www.themeparkreview.com/" target="_blank]http://www.themeparkreview.com/[/url]
[url=http://www.coasterforce.com/" target="_blank]http://www.coasterforce.com/[/url]
TT Member
User

stigzy

by stigzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:47 pm

How wrong is that? The very people responsible for team working/moral/strong leadership & company image etc mortified to be seen walking about the very park they run. What with the opening of their new toy, this is surely not the time to be having incompetent mid life crisis'!

I think it's about time Mr Magic Merlin Entertainment’s big cheese steps in and give’s love muscle Russel the job. He's got the abilities to turn things around and worth a bit more than looking after some gold fish!

User

Hark

by Hark » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:05 pm

I feel like having a rant too...

Me, MrStu, Dean and Tom headed down there for the Friday annual pass exclusive day. The first point of call for us was for me to get my merlin pass and to also obtain refunds for this very stupid competition they decided to run. After a bit of a runaround a very kind member of staff in the Annual Pass office was able to offer us a full discount on everything we had paid for (although I opted for the money off my pass). After this we approached 'the red carpet' and got cornered by some kind of interviewer and filmed for either the TV or Thorpe Park Archives.

We headed to SAW and experienced it for the first time, I won't give it away but in my opinion it was an amazing experience, definitely something of a level that you wouldn't expect in a UK park. :clap:

All in all on the Friday, there was no issues with ANY ride whatsoever. Everything ran perfectly and left us in high hopes of the following day when the park opened to the public. Oh how wrong we were.

Mattia was not the only person to experience the annual pass printers as I had to go back at the end of the day to find out 2 printers were broken, however I did manage in the end to get it re-printed ok with everything in tackt.

The following day was just a shambles. What can I say. This was my first TTF meet-ish really and on the whole the day would have just been shit if it wasn't for TTF. I've met some really great people and it's great to put names to faces its made me really look forward to the Alton Towers meet in 2 weeks.

So, we eventually got let into the park with a crush of people storming through the entrances and headed towards SAW - which was still testing 20 minutes after opening. The queue line didn't open till around 10:20 either - with a queue stretching back from the SAW area to the Dome. Luckily some of us were able to run and get a decentish place in the queue and we were able to ride the ride after about a 10 minute wait. Although it's very disappointing that a lot of TTF members didn't get one ride and I felt very sorry after the traveling that had been done by everyone in that park, only to be let down.

We came out the SAW exit to find a 2hr30 queue stretching back to the SAW shop. That's when problems started to happen Colossus had broken down and so had Rush. The maintenance team were apparently 'fixing the issues'. Samurai then had an issue and closed until later in the day. Then SAW had a major issue and so had to be evacuated completely and so the entire area was just blocked off by security, meaning the 2hr30 bulk queue was plonked in every other queue.

After that it was just ride after ride, rumba rapids, loggers leap, slammer, X: had issues, detonator had to be restarted and Mr Monkeys Banana ride had broken down all day (even though not advertised on the website). Stealth was also being repaired which was a big let down for all of us.

To say this is my first visit Thorpe Park it is very disappointing. 3 visits to guest services and we received a load of exit passes (which couldn't be used on many rides as they were broken). There was nothing for children and families there today apart from Depth Charge - absolutely nothing as most of the family rides were closed.

What really annoyed me was Rumba Rapids, they let us queue for 20 minutes before playing an announcement that it was closed and wouldn't be open today. Every few minutes a boat would go round, so it was obviously working? They knew ride availability was low. Why the hell didn't they open it? I was later told that as I was an annual pass holder I was unable to claim a free return entry ticket (which was my preference as I wouldn't really want the fast pass... as i'd rather bring a friend).

All in all the day in terms of riding was crap and I managed to get a ride count of about 4. But the day was brightened up by the spirit of TTF and all-in-all despite the severely shocking day of Thorpe Park was made fun and enjoyable by the TTF members.

Some great moments on the Tidal Wave bridge and really enjoyed meeting everyone and just generally the spirit of the members were high despite the shocking state of the park, so thanks for making me feel so welcome and making a day of a disaster!

User

Dean

by Dean » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Yes the preview day ran without fault from 2pm till 5pm.

With SAW open with hardly any queue from about 4ish, so I took the chance to re-ride the thing at least 8+ times during the day!

So I don't need to ride it again, for a while... :P

Still no excuses though for Saturdays happenings... [-X

I've won an extra month on my Merlin pass, for re-riding SAW. :wink: :P

TT Member
User

Ash

by Ash » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Not making the effort to go here again, im writing a complaint letter tomorow

TT Member
User

Danzaw*nk

by Danzaw*nk » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Got my complaint letter all written and ready to be sent off tomorrow :D

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

User

Crofty

by Crofty » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:04 pm

How can they refuse you a free ticket as an AP holder? Just tell them you threw the ticket in the bin?
PreviousNext