A ground breaking new attraction is set to open at the Alton Towers Resort in 2018. Follow all the discussion in this dedicated forum.
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

Re: SW8

by OhShambhala » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Would they need extra planning permission for a wall or rock work or would it be unnesecary and they'd just do it?
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm

OhShambhala wrote:Would they need extra planning permission for a wall or rock work or would it be unnesecary and they'd just do it?

I believe the area has some sort of GDO but I'm not an expert.

Cue a planning permission expert.......
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Wave Breaker: Intamin launch coaster coming to SeaWorld San Antonio in 2017!

SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals!
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

by OhShambhala » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Found these on PlanningPortal.co.uk regarding wether or not walls require planning permission.

"it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or
your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or
your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage."

As long as the wall is 2 meters high or smaller, it looks like they could get away with it. Even better if the area is a GDO.

TT Member
User

thekitkatshuffler

by thekitkatshuffler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:06 pm

I've fallen out of the coaster scene for the last few years but suddenly got a feeling like a new SW must be on the horizon so hit these forums for the latest info.

I'm glad that I did! :)

But only because it made me aware of Blackpool's new coaster and the incredibly themed new area in Phantasia Land.

As a huge woodie fan who'd been hoping Alton would snag one, I really hope this turns out to be amazing but it looks underwhelming so far.

TT Member
User

Froboi

by Froboi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Just been looking at the plans again. Wondering about theming. If they are going to stick to the Katanga Canyon area check this out.

Katanga is a province of the Dominican Republic. It is a rich Mining area.

May be looking into it too much, but I'm thinking Tropical Style Theming. With the Thatched Roofs and Wooden Walls. There looks like there is going to be Rock Work within the base of the station itself and placed around the whole ride.

So I'm thinking it will be Mine Themed and have a Tropical feel. This will also fit into the Mutiny Bay pirate theming?? :-k
TT Member
User

tcw1993

by tcw1993 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:10 am

I've got a feeling they may tie it into mutiny bay

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

TT Member
User

TheDuke

by TheDuke » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:58 am

IMO itll be katanga but we wont truely know until the first round of marketing begins
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Wasn't it confirmed to be a Katanga Canyon edition at a TowersTimes event months ago? :-s
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

by OhShambhala » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Thats what I thought??? :-k
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Owen wrote:Wasn't it confirmed to be a Katanga Canyon edition at a TowersTimes event months ago? :-s

Yes.

But they also said Submission was being removed for future development on the land :P

TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Who knows, maybe there was supposed to be something going there but it ended up not going ahead... :sus:
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

by OhShambhala » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 pm

To be honest, there's not much room to put anything worth while on the spot especially when Merlin seem to have a deep hatred of flat rides...
TT Member
User

ThemeParkCrafter

by ThemeParkCrafter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Ahem Kobra, Mia's Riding Adventure at 2 Legoland parks, dragon area in heide park and even 2017 Cbeebies flat
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

by OhShambhala » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:29 pm

I mean thrill flats... especially at towers.
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Submission's space is more than enough for a top spin :)

TT Member
User

Benjsh85

by Benjsh85 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Owen wrote:Who knows, maybe there was supposed to be something going there but it ended up not going ahead... :sus:

They may have added one already but for the accident. Merlin have lost millions because of it.
Team Media
User

Tom-TT

by Tom-TT » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am

Benjsh85 wrote:
Owen wrote:Who knows, maybe there was supposed to be something going there but it ended up not going ahead... :sus:

They may have added one already but for the accident. Merlin have lost millions because of it.

They haven't really lost millions, they just didn't make quite as many millions as they thought they would. They've still made large profits.

I understand that a few flat rides have been planned over the past few years, I believe that Mechanica at Liseberg was initially destined for Alton before being cancelled.

The general lack of flat rides discussion is a little off topic and could be discussed elsewhere, however it would be nice if as part of the SW additions they could start throwing in some flat rides alongside them like they used to do.
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 am

Sorry to verge off topic again but where could Mechanica have been placed at Alton? The only area that comes to mind is Dark Forest as the trees are quite tall there.

As for SW8, my excitement is slowly begining to rise for this project. Whilst I still don't think it will be as good as Construction 2018 at BPB, the plans can conceal a lot and that huge hole is certainly interesting to say the least! Plus GCI are a solid manufacturer, I tend to really enjoy their coasters (yes, even Gwazi!). SW8 also looks like it has the potential to be really well themed, but we'll have to see how that turns out.

Team TTSP
User

lewis97

by lewis97 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 am

Just as something of a side-note, Towers have submitted an application for "landscaping works on 'field O' of the meadows, including draining and regrading of land and creation of bunds with structural planting/landscaping", with the documents explaining that the spoil from the SW8 site will be used to create the bunds.
TT Member
User

Tom170499

by Tom170499 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:38 am

lewis97 wrote:Just as something of a side-note, Towers have submitted an application for "landscaping works on 'field O' of the meadows, including draining and regrading of land and creation of bunds with structural planting/landscaping", with the documents explaining that the spoil from the SW8 site will be used to create the bunds.

New for 2017: hills :lol
PreviousNext