Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Yellow balloons

TT Member
User

Eagie

Yellow balloons

by Eagie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 pm

I was on the park day and noticed 3 yellow balloons around.

Are these used when they are looking in to new additions to the park to see how visable they are and how anything new would affect what is already there?

There was one near to the 3rd drop of the flume. Another on Forbidden Treats and a third one at the end of Nemesis' lift hill. There could be others that I didn't notice of course.

TT Member
User

Jem8472

Re: Yellow balloons

by Jem8472 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Well in the video of the 13 evening John Wardley was saying that when looking at how high they could build rides they would go out with balloons on string and then from a point further away look to see at what height they became visible over the trees. Could be something to do with new ride planning... 8)
TT Member
User

Jon

by Jon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Seeing one on The Flume site looks very promising indeed! Nice and tall too. :D
Formerly "Dagoo"
TT Member
User

Adam

Yellow balloons

by Adam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 pm

There was also one just next to the monorail track near the coach park this morning. Quite a high one too. Very interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
TT Member
User

Nightfall

by Nightfall » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

"Rollercoaster 4 Life" wrote:Just thought I would let people know that on Wednesday I saw two men with a surveyor’s camera looking from under Forbidden Valley's Sky Ride station across the valley towards the Dark Forrest. Most likely testing the distance between the two areas and recording the data for further planning.
This was posted in the SW7 topic and it's probably no coincidence that both are happening at the same time.
ImageImage

User

JoshM

by JoshM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Exciting news :) The balloon near Forbidden Treats is exciting.
TT Member
User

Eagie

by Eagie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:17 pm

What could they be planning for the top end of Nemesis' lift hill though? Surely there isn't much room there for much to go on.
Last edited by Eagie on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT Member
User

Vik

by Vik » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

It is probably because the lift hill is on the perimeter of Forbidden Valley? Looks like for now they are just guaging different height locations is certain spots around the park.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

TT Member
User

Voke

by Voke » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Very interested, nice to see there starting something new :D

User

Jordan

by Jordan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:25 pm

This is really exciting news :) but still, only spot data for different heights.

The locations of the balloons seen so far - monorail station, The Flume and FV - would suggest that the new developments would probably be in GW or FV.
Team TT
User

PeteB

by PeteB » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:29 pm

This is a trick they've used for years. Something is definately happening! :D
TT Member
User

Benedique

by Benedique » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Hmmm at the th13teen evening (June) they mentioned that planning for sw7 would start 2-3 weeks from that date. By rough estimation, if planning started on schedule when John Wardley said it would, then I'd say that those balloons going up around now are very much to do with choosing a suitable location for sw7 8) (which they should be doing around now, if as I say, planning is on schedule)

User

Crofty

by Crofty » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Yup, this is probably one of the first planning stages. :D
In the first few meetings I guess they would have discussed locations suitable for development and now those locations will be tested with regards to building a new attraction.
I suspect there is no rite type of design as yet, they will probably work on that once they have the data from these and other pieces of research.

Still great to see things are progressing. :)

User

Blaze

by Blaze » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Indeedy, this is almost certainly for SW7, or at least some other coming attraction. There's about 7 more to come if they stick to the MTDP, so anything could be happening.

Two and a half years at least until SW7, and already it's getting exciting.

User

Craig

by Craig » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:18 pm

As this will be concerning future developments, topic moved to AT Future :).

TT Member
User

Chris

by Chris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 pm

At the moment I'm not 100% convinced this will be for SW7, theres still an outside chance it could be for 2012's family-thrill ride. (Its not set in stone that it will be in the Blackhole tent)

Everybody else has pretty much covered all my other thoughts on these balloons.
TT Member
User

Adam

Yellow balloons

by Adam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 pm

I think personally it will be for the flumes replacement.

Hopefully some kind of family water dark ride!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

TT Member
User

Ritadz

by Ritadz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:44 pm

".Adam" wrote:I think personally it will be for the flumes replacement.

What, that goes all the way to Forbidden Valley?

Some replacement.
TT Member
User

Nightfall

by Nightfall » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Chances are the Balloons are not all for the same project, but just to find the height limits throughout the park. Why would they build a roller coaster above the Donut shop or onto of Nemesis’s own lift hill (which must already be near the height limit)?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they put up a few fake balloons just to see what we make of it. They know we're watching :P
ImageImage
TT Member
User

Vik

by Vik » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:14 am

As a number of spammy posts have been removed, Just a polite reminder to everyone:-

Please when posting can we make sure we try and post constructively and not just one or two words or silly posts. This is just one of a number of topics that have descended in to such spamfests recently.

Thankyou. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Next