UK theme parks from another point of view!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2015-2019: Possible Developments?

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:23 pm

As I've said before, I dislike IPs. When I visit Alton Towers I want to see Alton Towers, not some random things from the media. If they were to come up with an original theme, I would love it whatever it was, but IPs (although they're a crowd puller and are great for business) take away a bit of the uniqueness and magic from the park for me. It does appear the Gangsta Granny ride is happening, but I certainly hope it's just that one ride, not a second area covered by an IP.

However the great thing about CBeebies and Walliams as IPs is that they are the biggest you can get. CBeebies just is British children's television, nothing comes before it. And David Walliams (discounting Roald Dahl who's not so current anymore) is number 1 in British children's literature. So as much as I would prefer an original theme by a long long way, I understand why IPs are a thing and to be fair these are the best out there.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Was at the Towers last Monday and the operator for the Ray tank talk in Mutiny Bay was saying they are planning to expand Sealife next year with either Penguins, Otters or Jellyfish and was asking for feedback on which people would find most interesting.
Last edited by Doublethink on Tue May 01, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Oh, interesting! Pretty good idea as long as it's in addition to a CCL retheme though. Out of those three choices though... that's tough! Jellyfish would fit in the most with the theme, but penguins and otters sound much more interesting!  

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 4:01 pm

I agree it would be a great expansion as at the moment the Towers has a real lack of indoor attractions for poor weather conditions and would also be good for a year round attraction as I know they opened it for their closed season events this year.

Though I agree the jellyfish would be the most true to Sharkbait's theme, I really enjoyed the penguin enclosure at SeaLife London as the critters brought a lot of energy and excitement to the aquarium.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 4:12 pm

Personally I'd like to see Otters or Penguins somewhere but I'd also agree with Robert that it should be an addition as well as the supposed Gangsta Granny ride.

But it sounds like it's not gonna be the only 2019 project if they're still deciding what to add now whereas we already know that a 2019 project has been in the pipeline for a few years now.
[Insert Signature Here]

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Personally I'd like to see Otters or Penguins somewhere but I'd also agree with Robert that it should be an addition as well as the supposed Gangsta Granny ride.

But it sounds like it's not gonna be the only 2019 project if they're still deciding what to add now whereas we already know that a 2019 project has been in the pipeline for a few years now.

I agree both for a 2019 year would be ideal. If GG ride is also a retheme or re-use of the CatCF building then I think we could well see both next year.

More indoor attractions are sorely needed at the Towers.

vikkimoo
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am

Penguins would be AMAZING (charismatic megafauna ftw!) but would they have enough space for a decently sized enclosure for them or Otters? I'll be honest, I've not been in Sharkbait (it's usually too full of children for me) so don't know what it's like in there.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 11:25 pm

vikkimoo wrote:
Penguins would be AMAZING (charismatic megafauna ftw!) but would they have enough space for a decently sized enclosure for them or Otters? I'll be honest, I've not been in Sharkbait (it's usually too full of children for me) so don't know what it's like in there.

They could easily have enough room if they expanded into some of the adjoining units... with the way the F&B outlets are going I’m sure they’d shut down Eastern Express to put some larger enclosure in