UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Contact:

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 pm

I think it's unlikely, but a re-theme of the whole of CCL to a mini Lego land could be a nice idea...
 
User avatar
bendaboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 pm

I would love a doctor who themed indoor ride named something like genesis or something. the que could have neon lights and the ride will tell you about all the doctors and enemies and then sirens would go of and there would be a 'malfunction' and then you'd drop, the lights would flicker and turn off and as they come back on a weeping angel would be in front of you as well as other enemies. you would get off the ride and then you would to the glass elevator which would now be the TARDIS and as you got of the ride you would exit a different place to where you started. this would be my second favourite ride after the smiler :lol
You belong to the smiler...Welcome to oblivion...NEMESIS!
 
User avatar
Cobby
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Like I said I'm sceptical about the lego rumour but I heard it and thought I'd share. :D I know this would probably not happen but I would like to see it themed around Sir Algenon. The entrance could be like his workshop and the story could be themed around how he found CCL and all of it magical occupants. The boat ride part would take you through the workshop and then you get in the lift part which takes you off to CCL. Like I said I doubt it would happen but it would be quite good and they wouldn't have to change the factory themeing to much.
Image
 
User avatar
T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:53 am

If I was asked to redevelop Cloud Cuckoo Land with unlimited funds, I would retheme the entire area in-line with the Enchanted Village. The area would be called 'Enchanted Wood', or something similar, to tie in with both the accommodation and pre-existing areas of the park. I would remove Charlie and replace it with a Mack Inverted Powered Coaster, similar to Arthur at Europa Park (minus the IP). I feel this ride would be perfect as it would be a good family addition but thrilling enough to keep all happy. This way the Twirling Toadstool could also be retained without much work, and possibly the Frog Hooper too. I think there's good opportunity to open the cafe out and replace Wobble World with a family-friendly fairytale restaurant/cafe. I wouldn't mind Ice Age going, but I've always wanted AT to bring back a quality ice show - and a fairytale woodland one is rather plausible (Peter Rabbit-esque?).
 
User avatar
Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: In The Smiler's Baggage Hold

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 pm

I like that idea! I would go a little step further and try and link it with Dark Forest to try and add some relationship with the current areas. It could work possibly, as the 'Enchanted Wood' (So many woods :lol) can be for the younger age and then you can work your way up to Dark Forest! I like the idea though and this is just my opinion. ;)
Image
Image
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'
 
User avatar
Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:57 pm

I think it will be replaced with another IP As that's all Merlin are good at other than coasters.
 
User avatar
Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I think it will be replaced with another IP As that's all Merlin are good at other than coasters.


Cough cough, Gruffalo River Adventure....
Image
 
User avatar
TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:41 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Given that Alton already have the Ice Age IP for the 4D experience, is it much of a stretch to say that they could well add in more movie-themed IPs? They could make the whole area into an winter wonderland kinda thing, or could even put more kids' film themes on their rides. Im sure the Charlie ride could be included in that if they rebranded it? Or has it already gone? Ive not rly been paying attention to it that much tbh
Image
Credit to NemesisRider for an absolutely amazing signature, 100/10, definitely would recommend!

It's because I'm Batman!
 
PsychoES
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 pm

So according to a quick google search of the ride itself, it's apparently permanently closed so it seems very likely we're getting something new in either 2017 or even 2018 depending on how long they take with it
 
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 3126
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:17 pm

PsychoES wrote:
So according to a quick google search of the ride itself, it's apparently permanently closed so it seems very likely we're getting something new in either 2017 or even 2018 depending on how long they take with it


I would be a little bit cautious about going by what Google says about the status of any ride. Anyone can submit an edit to Google, and although it has to be approved normally it's not checked too much. It's not uncommon for attractions to be incorrectly marked as permanently closed incorrectly. It may be that Charlie won't re-open in the same format, but as things stand we simply do not know and we're best waiting for something more concrete than an update to a status on Google :)
Image
 
User avatar
Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 3211
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:25 pm
Location: Hastings

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Google isn't smart enough to know about closed season or extended closures as it works on time throughout the week. That's why when it's listed as closed for an extended period of time google will think "that must mean it's permanently closed". Although this can work the opposite way, like Derren Brown's Ghost Train which according to Google is open 10am - 5pm all week. :)
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
RachaelSwann
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Location: Newquay, Cornwall
Contact:

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 pm

I think that all the ideas of basing the ride around Alton's history, with an enchanted forest/sir algenon theme, could be brilliant. Or what about bringing back Henry Hound and giving him his own ride?! :D I personally do not like IPs but I know that they are probably (unfortunately) the future of dark rides, as people like John Wardley himself has said this many a time. It makes me sad though as the whole idea of going to a theme park for me is to escape into an imaginary land and '(insert name of current popular film/TV program here)_the ride' just does not equal to magic in my mind. I mean the Bubbleworks was at Chessington for over twenty five years and still loved, so it proves a non IP ride can be a long term success.
It would have to be kept as a dark ride though as we have such a lack of these in the UK. To be honest I grew up with and loved Toyland Tours so much that is is hard for me to imagine anything else in that building, (I have sort of forgotten my few underwhelming rides on the poorly executed Charlie and the chocolate factory ride). But even 'around the world in 80 days' looks amazing in videos and that was back in the 80s, when darkrides were pretty much a new concept in this country. We need to keep the Magic of Alton Towers alive and another crappy IP retheme just isn't going to do that in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm

RachaelSwann wrote:
I think that all the ideas of basing the ride around Alton's history, with an enchanted forest/sir algenon theme, could be brilliant. Or what about bringing back Henry Hound and giving him his own ride?! :D I personally do not like IPs but I know that they are probably (unfortunately) the future of dark rides, as people like John Wardley himself has said this many a time. It makes me sad though as the whole idea of going to a theme park for me is to escape into an imaginary land and '(insert name of current popular film/TV program here)_the ride' just does not equal to magic in my mind. I mean the Bubbleworks was at Chessington for over twenty five years and still loved, so it proves a non IP ride can be a long term success.
It would have to be kept as a dark ride though as we have such a lack of these in the UK. To be honest I grew up with and loved Toyland Tours so much that is is hard for me to imagine anything else in that building, (I have sort of forgotten my few underwhelming rides on the poorly executed Charlie and the chocolate factory ride). But even 'around the world in 80 days' looks amazing in videos and that was back in the 80s, when darkrides were pretty much a new concept in this country. We need to keep the Magic of Alton Towers alive and another crappy IP retheme just isn't going to do that in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's exactly my view on IPs, you explained that perfectly - well done! :lol
And what would happen when the creature appeared?
 
User avatar
Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Merlin just look at IP's and see ££££. They tried it with Nemeses Sub terra and failed and now we got Ice age and CBeebies in the park.
There even taking over at Chessington and Thorpe Park.
 
User avatar
RachaelSwann
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Location: Newquay, Cornwall
Contact:

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

Thank you S.J_O'Grady, glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Fingers crossed we will still get some unique, magical rides in upcoming years and that Merlin parks aren't just a mishmash of IP rides done badly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
KatangaZebra
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:46 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
RachaelSwann wrote:
I think that all the ideas of basing the ride around Alton's history, with an enchanted forest/sir algenon theme, could be brilliant. Or what about bringing back Henry Hound and giving him his own ride?! :D I personally do not like IPs but I know that they are probably (unfortunately) the future of dark rides, as people like John Wardley himself has said this many a time. It makes me sad though as the whole idea of going to a theme park for me is to escape into an imaginary land and '(insert name of current popular film/TV program here)_the ride' just does not equal to magic in my mind. I mean the Bubbleworks was at Chessington for over twenty five years and still loved, so it proves a non IP ride can be a long term success.
It would have to be kept as a dark ride though as we have such a lack of these in the UK. To be honest I grew up with and loved Toyland Tours so much that is is hard for me to imagine anything else in that building, (I have sort of forgotten my few underwhelming rides on the poorly executed Charlie and the chocolate factory ride). But even 'around the world in 80 days' looks amazing in videos and that was back in the 80s, when darkrides were pretty much a new concept in this country. We need to keep the Magic of Alton Towers alive and another crappy IP retheme just isn't going to do that in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's exactly my view on IPs, you explained that perfectly - well done! :lol


They may be the future of dark rides, but if a popular theme park like ATR used an original idea it could change it for the better. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I mean that if ATR went against current dark ride "norms" and it delivers, maybe other UK theme parks would use their own ideas to try to compete with Alton Towers.

I would love this idea though. I can imagine at the beginning of the ride some sort of theming to be like the towers with little flickering lights in the windows with the soundtrack at that part of the ride representing the time period the towers were built in. The park needs more references to the towers and the locations of Hex and CATCF are close so I think this could work.
 
User avatar
Hari
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 pm
Location: Under the Marmaliser (A.K.A - Hertfordshire!)

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:54 pm

I don't know if this source is 100% true, but a very sweet elderly lady in the ATH gift shop this weekend told me that there are some definite closures this season. She said Charlie, the Driving School and Wobble World are all permanently closed now. I asked if she had any idea what the plans are and she said I've only been told that. So yeah no more CATCF :(
 
User avatar
Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:50 pm
Location: Devon

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:16 am

I thought Driving School was reopening this season? It's on the website, while Charlie and Wobble World are not.
 
User avatar
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:43 am

The line-up has already been officially confirmed -

Hex and Driving School reopening
Ice Age and Toadstool closing
Sub Terra still closed
Wobble World and Charlie removed
And what would happen when the creature appeared?
 
missmarvel123
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:26 am

Re: The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; The Rid

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 am

Maybe At could use the CATCF building to create an indoor rollercoaster.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests