UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 432
Joined: October 2014
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:29 pm

It was because of a couple in 2012 that they had to remove the audio from the top.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
 
User avatar
Theo
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 42
Joined: October 2016

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:11 pm

The whole area needs redoing. The Smiler & Oblivion lines need tidying up, as well as more sound effects to create tension. I'd also like to see something in the place of Submission, maybe one of them Top Scan rides built by Mondial, very similar to Samurai at Thorpe Park with some alternative theming. Also, I could see a new second generation enterprise built by HUSS to replace the current Enterprise. Possibly linked into the Smiler looping theme? ;)
 
User avatar
nemefan08
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 214
Joined: August 2014

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:25 am

I agree. But if Alton Towers are to refurbish X Sector they need to do a large overhaul. Ideally we would see larger and louder TVs in oblivion's queue, the previously mentioned second generation enterprises would also be nice. I think X Sector needs a bit more than some paint.
Image
 
paulturner1974
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 21
Joined: October 2012

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:15 pm

don't need to spend a fortune either plenty of flat rides on here http://www.usedrideseurope.com/rides-for-sale/
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1373
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:36 pm

They look quite cheap and tacky though. Need something proper from Huss or another high quality manufacturer.
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
NeoXIII
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 124
Joined: January 2016
Location: Stafford

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:31 am

Unpopular opinion, but I am somewhat hoping Oblivion will get a retheme to be close to The Smiler/Ministry of Joy. It's suspicious they closed down the Oblivion shop for this season, when I asked them why they just gave me a very cryptic reply a la "Watch this space!". :o
 
User avatar
Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 3272
Joined: March 2012
Location: Hastings

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Technically Oblivion is a failed MoJ experiment, so maybe having some subtle tie ins for the geeks would be nice!
Image
Image
Image
 
fillc85
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 49
Joined: November 2012
Location: Huddersfield

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:00 am

i dont know if this has been mentioned previously but on the AT website they describe oblivion as:

"Oblivion was the fourth of the Ministry of Joy’s experiments in X-Sector, following The Black Hole, Enterprise and Energiser.
In an attempt to make the world smile, the Lord of Darkness oversaw his most extreme of experiments, pushing candidates to their mental and physical limits."

But that story-line isn't that clear in the area, so id like to see more cohesion between the area to make the storytelling clear. I dont think it would take that much - just look at the new scenery they added to Rita this season so make it blend better to the theme.
 
User avatar
armyboy608
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 13
Joined: September 2016

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:04 pm

I've thought about this for while, Oblivion is a bit outdated now with Dive Machines out classing it in every way.
It would be great if they extended the track after the drop and put this inside a building so it's half a dark ride.
Also the fact you don't see the train re-appear will create a better vision that it is Obvlivion.
Of course in no expert and have no idea whether it would have enough energy after the drop to do anything else but go straight back to the station.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
theycallmealex
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5
Joined: October 2016
Location: East Sussex

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:35 pm

armyboy608 wrote:
I've thought about this for while, Oblivion is a bit outdated now with Dive Machines out classing it in every way.
It would be great if they extended the track after the drop and put this inside a building so it's half a dark ride.
Also the fact you don't see the train re-appear will create a better vision that it is Obvlivion.
Of course in no expert and have no idea whether it would have enough energy after the drop to do anything else but go straight back to the station.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you forget that Oblivion's USP is that it is the world's first vertical drop coaster. It's entirety is based around it's drop and adding a dark section would just take away from that. It's been at towers since 1996(?) and it doesn't really need an extension in my honest opinion. Longer/bigger doesn't always equate to better. I do agree that it would be quite cool if you didn't see the train arrive back without it's passengers, so a separate drop-off point but it's just not realistic.
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1039
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:23 pm

theycallmealex wrote:
It's been at towers since 1996(?)



1998 ;)
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

Image
 
User avatar
armyboy608
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 13
Joined: September 2016

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:53 pm

theycallmealex wrote:
armyboy608 wrote:
I've thought about this for while, Oblivion is a bit outdated now with Dive Machines out classing it in every way.
It would be great if they extended the track after the drop and put this inside a building so it's half a dark ride.
Also the fact you don't see the train re-appear will create a better vision that it is Obvlivion.
Of course in no expert and have no idea whether it would have enough energy after the drop to do anything else but go straight back to the station.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you forget that Oblivion's USP is that it is the world's first vertical drop coaster. It's entirety is based around it's drop and adding a dark section would just take away from that. It's been at towers since 1996(?) and it doesn't really need an extension in my honest opinion. Longer/bigger doesn't always equate to better. I do agree that it would be quite cool if you didn't see the train arrive back without it's passengers, so a separate drop-off point but it's just not realistic.


Obviously I disagree,
And I accept it was the first but!!!!
Is this a theme park or a museum?
For me a update like this would no only cost less than a new coater in the park but would also be a worlds first as there are 10 Dive Machines in the world atm and +1 in China next year. None of them have a dark section.
If you have ever been on Rock & rollercoaster you will know how great a indoor coaster can be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 2883
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 pm

The fact is Oblivion isn't going to get any extension because it doesn't need it and because most of the public don't care. The publics general opinion seems to be that Oblivion is scary as it is, and is often the ride that most people fear the most when they go to Alton Towers despite the fact that worldwide there are bigger and/or better dive coasters. :)
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 1183
Joined: April 2014

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Although I am immune to coasters, Oblivion still gets me on occasions, just like Stealth at THORPE PARK.
It is an iconic ride which certainly doesn't need changing!
Image
Image
 
User avatar
armyboy608
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 13
Joined: September 2016

X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 pm

This is all true apart from
'it doesn't need it'
Look at the que for oblivion it's a walk on every time.
Yes true it's scary!!! But I don't believe adding track would make it scarier but it would add value to the ride experience which at the moment is great for intensity and intimidation but not for ride length or variation.
For me oblivion is incredible and despite the fact many more have been built few are better.
Obviously this is just my opinion but I think that oblivion could with some modification be the best Dive coaster in the world.
Wouldn't that be incredible if it were considering it was the first!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 4286
Joined: December 2010
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:20 pm

I must admit I have a real soft spot for Oblivion. Its such an incredible coaster and I only started putting my hands up this year on it. I agree, it doesn't need making longer as I think it would loose its charm and thrill if it was. There isn't really anything they can or should do to improve Oblivion. Its awesome!
Image
Image
Even the good can fall from grace
 
User avatar
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 432
Joined: October 2014
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:30 pm

WARNING: Controversial comment ahead!

I don't actually care for Oblivion at all. It doesn't scare me and it's too short, I only go on it for the view. Wouldn't really bother me if I never went on it again - Personally I'd like it to have an extension but it won't happen.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1373
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:43 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
WARNING: Controversial comment ahead!

I don't actually care for Oblivion at all. It doesn't scare me and it's too short, I only go on it for the view. Wouldn't really bother me if I never went on it again - Personally I'd like it to have an extension but it won't happen.



How dare thou insult me like this :evil:
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!
 
User avatar
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 432
Joined: October 2014
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:17 pm

MakoMania wrote:
S.J_O'Grady wrote:
WARNING: Controversial comment ahead!

I don't actually care for Oblivion at all. It doesn't scare me and it's too short, I only go on it for the view. Wouldn't really bother me if I never went on it again - Personally I'd like it to have an extension but it won't happen.



How dare thou insult me like this :evil:


Hehehe, what am I like
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
 
User avatar
armyboy608
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 13
Joined: September 2016

Re: X-Sector refurbishment?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:31 pm

I've been riding oblivion since it first opened and have since ridden many other dive machines. Oblivion is my favourite still but only because of the hole you dive into. S.J_O'Grady for the controversy in your post[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
To be fair though it is a good view.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests