UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which area theme do you prefer?

UG Land
45 (38%)
Dark Forest
73 (62%)
 
Total votes: 118
 
User avatar
Corkscrew Lover
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 pm
Contact:

Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 pm

:D
 
User avatar
gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 pm
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:52 am

Ug Land, preferably before Rita.
Image
 
User avatar
DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 am

gaz1313 wrote:
Ug Land, preferably before Rita.


Agreed deffinately  :D
 
User avatar
TheBoyWithOneEye
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Thatcham-Berkshire

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Ug land looked cheap  :lol:
Image
 
User avatar
Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.
Image

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
 
User avatar
CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:49 am

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.


Th13teen station aside the Dark Forest is as good as devoid of any theming at all.
 
User avatar
gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 pm
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 am

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.


Th13teen station aside the Dark Forest is as good as devoid of any theming at all.


Agreed. Dark Forest is good, but a lot of it is the Thunder Rock Ug Land stage but darker with vines.
Image

Ug Land had a certain magic that the Dark Forest doesn't really have.
Last edited by gaz1313 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
User avatar
ZozMeakizz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: In a Cranium, far, far away.
Contact:

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Ug Land. I loved the Flintstones feel of it all, and the water splashy thing. I just think the Dark Forest is too sparse to be a forest.
Image
R.I.P. Beastie!! You were my first terror!! :')
http://zoztpg.blogspot.co.uk/
 
User avatar
dominoes
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm
Location: On my computer. How else would I be on TT?

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I never particularly liked Ug Land, as it didn't really make much sense. Drag Racing Cavemen. But now that there are vines and stuff, the idea of Theme Park area taken over by evil Vines sort of makes sense.
 
User avatar
rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 pm
Location: Sheffield/High Wycombe
Contact:

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I've voted for Ug Land (Pre-Rita Era).

I find Dark Forest far too sparse to be immersive or convincing. I do prefer the concept of it to Ug Land but the reality of it isn't quite so successful
 
User avatar
oliviamae
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Dark Forest but Ug Land is fluttery-excitement-nostalgic for me. More because I associate it with happy times:) Dark Forest's theme is much better thoguh
 
User avatar
Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

UG Land for sure... The theme from start to finish was excellent.
All of the rides looked superb when they were kitted out before Rita came along. The area felt electric as you entered under he Bone archway and down towards he Corkscrew queue line.

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.


This is absolute twoddle..... Dark Forest has next to no theming or atmosphere. If you turn your back on The Crypt and station you'd be forgiven to think you were in a field rather than a forest.

Best feature of UG Land - Cave House!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
 
User avatar
Marcus
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: London

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:
UG Land for sure... The theme from start to finish was excellent.
All of the rides looked superb when they were kitted out before Rita came along. The area felt electric as you entered under he Bone archway and down towards he Corkscrew queue line.

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.


This is absolute twoddle..... Dark Forest has next to no theming or atmosphere. If you turn your back on The Crypt and station you'd be forgiven to think you were in a field rather than a forest.

Best feature of UG Land - Cave House!


Yeah I agree the Dark forest isn't really a forest as such, on the outskirts of it yes.
 
Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:16 pm

I know I'll be biased seeing as how I only visited the towers once when Ug Land was around, but I much prefer the Dark Forest. The whole mysterious feel has been really well marketed
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 pm
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Honestly dont know how to vote on this one.... Technically UL was better themed as by definition, it was themed. As many have pointed out, there is very little to no theme in DF... However, i feel the DF has the potential to be better themed !! I'd love to see a couple of flat rides to compliment the two coasters alongside more re-themeing to Rita... Although, i cant think of a relatively good retheme for a launched car coaster lol
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:52 pm

clayj wrote:
Honestly dont know how to vote on this one.... Technically UL was better themed as by definition, it was themed. As many have pointed out, there is very little to no theme in DF... However, i feel the DF has the potential to be better themed !! I'd love to see a couple of flat rides to compliment the two coasters alongside more re-themeing to Rita... Although, i cant think of a relatively good retheme for a launched car coaster lol
other than a race car for a launched coasters their isnt much else.
Image credit to Lewis97
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 pm
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm

DrReeve wrote:
other than a race car for a launched coasters their isnt much else.


Exactly, that's where i'm stuck... Although they could replace with standard cars (not themed) and build a church like building over the station to make it fit more with the crypt of 13... Have the Large church doors closed over the station exit... doors fly open & train shoots out ? If they wanted to go all out the could change the buildings around the edge to be themed more like a run down ye olde England creepy cottages kinda theme (they might have some of merry old England lying around lol) then throw in a couple of flats to complete the DF & potentially link it in with Hex across the courtyard ? This way it could be themed as the village over shaddowed by the towers & also include Hex in the lineup ??

An idea I've always had would be to extremely heavily over theme a Huss Jump2 to that of a tree, say covered in chains @ the far end of the DF.. Would fit in with Hex in DF

http://www.hussrides.com/giant-rides/jump2.html
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
JonoD
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 am
Location: Bristol

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Tricky one, but I have to go with Dark Forest. Even before Rita came about and gave Ug Land an identity crisis, the area to me seemed very... cheap. Walking into Ug Land in those days kind of felt like walking into surreal adventure playground (with all the multicoloured boulders and stuff) than an actual themed land. The absolute bare bones theming ( :lol: ) around Corkscrew didn't do many favours for me either. It always felt kind of like another Cred Street to me.

When Dark Forest arrived on the scene, the area had a much better identity and a I believe a better atmosphere as well. The Th13teen crypt still stands as one of my favourite set pieces on the park and even Rita kind of feels more at home now.
 
User avatar
SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 am

Personally I think alton have missed a trick not relating the dark forest to hex, they could have been so good together!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
 
Tom.B

Re: Which Theme Do You Prefer?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:26 am

Ug Land - As much as I like Dark Forest, the whole park has turned into more of a dark thrill park. If only Alton brought back the magic and more family rides. Rollercoasters, but not really intense, dark, scary story lines ones  :twisted:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 12 guests