UK theme parks from another point of view!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Scarefest Mazes for First timers

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi there,

Me and my friends are planning to go to Scarefest this year mid week and i've been once before in 2010. My main concern is that i've never done the scare mazes there or infact ever done one (besides Nemesis Sub Terra's live attraction bit). I'm concerned that my friends will want to do these and i have never done one before. I'm scared to go in and try them.

Is there any tips you can give me for doing these mazes if i do end up going in them? Thank You.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest Mazes for First timers

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:16 pm

As silly as it sounds, I'd recommend doing House Of Monsters first (as that will almost definitely be tame), then move up to TotT, then Skin Snatchers (or whatever they've called it now!) and finally Sub-Species (that is VERY scary and intense).

Also before going, I'd say maybe watch one or two horror movies, to get used to jump scares!

Don't over think them, and remember - you won't die, your safe, and it's all for your enjoyment! Hope this helps, have a great time!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:10 pm

Main tip is definitely to start with TotT. Actors behave in the mazes just like they do in the scare zones so you know what to expect from them. They're really not that bad once you get into it, and its great fun.

However, Sub Species is pretty intense. Just stay calm and don't try to run or get stressed in there. Let actors do what they want to you and work your way through at your own pace. You could try to stay with one of your friends but then if they're more likely to come at you and try to split you up.

Can't really give any tips on 'Skin Sn... erh, Altonville.. legend, thingy' as obviously I've never done it.

Just remember that they are just normal people under the make up!

Have fun!
And what would happen when the creature appeared?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Although you may feel quite nervous prior to entering the first maze you'll probably find that once you're in and getting on with it that it may actually be more enjoyable than you expected. They're not designed to be a mentally scarring experience, as while the actors will want to elicit a response from you, they won't overdo it to the point where you're a broken mess in the corner, provided you're not of an especially nervous disposition which you don't seem to be given that you're considering doing the mazes.

You may actually find that speaking/interacting with the characters that you encounter (rather than trying to avoid them) humanises them a bit more, and allows you to keep in mind that they are just actors and everything you're going through is fictional and therefore safe.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:16 pm

lewis97 wrote:
You may actually find that speaking/interacting with the characters that you encounter (rather than trying to avoid them) humanises them a bit more, and allows you to keep in mind that they are just actors and everything you're going through is fictional and therefore safe.

This is what I did on my first ever ride on Duel when I was nervous, I just spoke to the animatronics in a humorous manner (I was just saying they look like my uncle, much to my Uncle's dismay. :lol

It worked a treat and I loved it!
Ride count 2017: 249!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 760!
Cred count: 65!

Thanks to NemesisRider for the awesome signature!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:36 pm

As Lewis says, you may feel nervous at first, especially if there is a wait to enter, but they are great fun. I would attempt ToTT first as you enter in a conga line, but everyone has fun and you can't help but smile!
Sub-Species is on another level. It is certainly the best maze there, but you will be on your own at times. I still can't work out that maze as it seriously disorientates you!

While they will make you jump in places, they are something that i'd recommend you try. If you have walked through Sub-Terra, especially with the actors present, then you will be fine!

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:39 am

I agree with all of the above. Start with TotT as you will feel safer and secure being in a conga line, make sure you go in the middle so you have someone guiding you in front and behind you. If it all gets to much just close your eyes and hum, don't panic as that'll just make things worse.

I've worked in scare mazes for the past three years, and they're trained to recognise visitors actions and body language. A good scare actor will push you to your limits, but as Lewis said, there's nothing more rewarding than seeing and hearing the excitement and enjoyment of our guests, we don't want to reduce people to tears and panic attacks... Only for extreme experiences :P

Hope this helps :)

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:28 pm

The feeling when you come out of a maze is amazing, it's honestly worth doing the maze just for that. Once you get past the build-up, it's extremely fun and enjoyable. You'll regret not doing them if you don't :lol

Credit to NemesisRider