UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details. Applications close tonight at 10pm.

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers RCT2

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi guys, just thought I'd start by saying I'm new to the forum, I literally joined up seconds before starting this topic. To make a long story short, I decided to get out the old RCT 2 disk, and start making some coasters. One thing led to another, and I ended up recreating Alton Towers' Nemesis. This gave me an idea, I decided (attempted!) to recreate Alton Towers. It may now sound like the most ambitious project mankind has ever embarked on, but I wanted to use as little custom scenery in the process. Although I love a nice park where the custom scenery is done perfectly, I just feel that too much makes the park look too 'plastic', and can take away the basic properties a classic RCT park has.

Anyway, the reason why I'm making this topic is for 2 reasons. Firstly, I've made a very basic concept of Forbidden Valley using the original Nemesis I began recreating, and was hoping a few people wouldn't mind taking a look at it, letting me know where I could improve. Or just pay me a lot of compliments, your choice. If that's the case, I will post a couple of pictures for all to see.

I'm also curious as to whether you would want me to carry on the project given my current progress. I'm sorry for making you read an entire essay, but this project has meant a lot to me lately so I'd really enjoy any feedback. If you have any questions about literally anything, about myself or the project, I'm ready to answer! As I said, I'll post a couple of pictures of the project so far if enough people care to see them!

Thanks guys!

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Alton Towers RCT2

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Just thought I'd say that I'll upload some pictures at about 5 o'clock.  :D

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:14 pm

So far this is my first version of Nemesis, including the station and short queue. I'm leaving out all the foliage that you would see behind Nemesis until the end.

My first version of Air. The layout is very tricky due to RCT's restrictions, which means I have to balance out the layout of the ride, as well as the proportions of the park.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.
Last edited by TheAltonTowersProject on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Not able to work on the park tonight, so I should have some more progress done by tomorrow night. In the meantime, I'm posting a couple more pictures!

Please let me know what you think, I'd really appreciate some feedback and a second opinion.

The Blade and surroundings.

Progress on Air.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I can barely see the pictures...  :x

Credit to NemesisRider

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Have you clicked on them? :)

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm

For RCT2 your park is incredibly accurate! Keep up the good work!  :D

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Altitude wrote:

Thank you so much!

I'm hoping by tonight I can have the queue for Air finished, and a basic model of the station done too.

I think if I push it, then I may even be able to finish all of Forbidden Valley, which will be great, but leaves me with a question...

Which section of the park should I do next? At the moment, I am just creating basic 'concept' versions of each area, with Forbidden Valley being the first. After, I will simply measure the size of each area, and simply put them together to form the final park. Then I'll just polish up on some areas, and it will be done! (Woot woot) So yeah; it'd mean the world to me if I got some more feedback and a few more ideas with the park. Let me know which area to start next and I should have a couple more pictures up tonight!

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

TheAltonTowersProject wrote:
Altitude wrote:

Thank you so much!

I'm hoping by tonight I can have the queue for Air finished, and a basic model of the station done too.

I think if I push it, then I may even be able to finish all of Forbidden Valley, which will be great, but leaves me with a question...

Which section of the park should I do next? At the moment, I am just creating basic 'concept' versions of each area, with Forbidden Valley being the first. After, I will simply measure the size of each area, and simply put them together to form the final park. Then I'll just polish up on some areas, and it will be done! (Woot woot) So yeah; it'd mean the world to me if I got some more feedback and a few more ideas with the park. Let me know which area to start next and I should have a couple more pictures up tonight!

I think you should do 'Dark Forest next

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I also vote Dark Forest next! :D

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Dark Forest is a real possibility! It would be nice to place my FV and Dark Forest together, so I will get a rough idea of how much work I'll be doing on the valleys and gardens. It would make a change from the hectic amount of terrain I've had to deal with. Basically just Rita, 13 and a lot of path, in a nutshell at least.

I'll get working on FV, and when I post pictures of my work tonight, I will include my basic Rita and 13. :)

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Have you seen Forbidden valley made by towers almanac that's what I call good if not download it. Get the whole park to that sorta standard and then you have a project
Image credit to Lewis97

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 pm

I have, and at first-thoughts it's impressive. However, the more you look at it, the uglier it is.

The foliage is very bland, and just looks lazy. The paths don't work at all, I'm not sure what the idea of the layout is, and finally; the buildings are far too 'blocky'.

In my humble opinion, my project (If you're willing to call it that) is far more aesthetically pleasing, and the path layout is far more accurate.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm

I used to run an RCT1 site. Feel free to take a look at my recreation in RCT1 ... RealRCT

Due to the limitations of the max land size in RCT1 everything is cramped.... Very cramped, hence why there was a FV only recreation as these were done in the years Air was only just launching.

Go to Real Park > English Parks > Voila

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Posting a couple of pictures of Air, almost finished! The only thing left to do is the station and my first version is complete! So far I'm deciding the next section of the park to do, with Dark Forest being the favoured option. Let me know what you think of the pictures when I post them! :)

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 pm

As promised, the (almost) finished article of Air. Mainly, the station is the main part left, but obviously I am getting this down to a T, therefore it will be a few more days before it is completed, then I will get the rest of FV completed.

Last edited by TheAltonTowersProject on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Unfortunately the project's slowed down lately, however my Forbidden Valley concept is finished (practically). The foliage and landscape around the 'out-skirts' will be done when the actual park is pieced together, otherwise I will probably end up making each section too big to fit. There are still 1 or 2 bits and bobs that need work, but other than that, it is finished.

Air

Nemesis

The Blade + Stalls

Ripsaw

Entire Area

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. I'd really appreciate your feedback! Let me know which section to do next, thanks!

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:08 pm

This is excellent! It's obvious you've put a lot of time, thought and care into this creation. It's truly inspiring! :)

TheAltonTowersProject
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much that means to me. :D

I'm considering making two parks. The recreation you see before you, and then changing it to cater for a real RCT park, so I will add the shop, stalls and probably move the layout around so the thick guests don't converge in to one corner.

As for the next section, I think Dark Forest is probably next. Personally, I don't like the area in real life, but I'm looking forward to starting it, as it will give me a great representation of how much of the gardens and valley to build.

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am

So far looks great, i would suggest something different for the SubTerra building and maybe some of the actual ride signs,if you download the ForbiddenValley rct2 recreation you will find some very helpful scenery there
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123