UK theme parks from another point of view!

paige
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Do you get sick on theme park rides? You can help!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi guys,

Odds are you don't know or remember me as I'm like a ghost but a lazy one that isn't very good at haunting places, but I'm here after some help!!

To cut a long story short but still quite long as this is me, I'm currently carrying out a research project that's basically looking at motion sickness on theme park rides (as well as how and why any treatments work by looking at how they react with the body on a molecular level... did you know the NHS suggests antihistamines to help?? Ok I'll stop, I wont bore you with that nonsense) and before I can begin even thinking about trying to write up the dissertation, I need to do my research. For the whole cause and effect aspect of it I need to be able to ramble on about what triggers such adverse symptoms for just a little while and I'm hoping to contact some parks and potentially ride manufacturers as I need to at least attempt to expand my research beyond books and the internet, but I don't want to go in totally blind or with such a small idea of what perhaps makes myself of those I know feel a bit iffy.

So what I'm looking for from you, my dearest frequenters of such rides is simply do you get sick? Not just nauseous, but do you ever come off a ride feeling faint/dizzy etc.? Can you tell me any ride types you absolutely avoid as you know you'll come off feeling the wrong way? Do you know anyone who gets especially sick? Ever been on a ride that you're often more than able to handle and come off feeling less than okay on some off chance? If you have, or know someone who has, let me know! any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

PS: I will be having to include screenshots of any relevant responses in a research log, if you wish to have your usename and profile picture obscured let me know, but if I like your post then I will be including a screenshot of your post in my notes and that by giving me your response, you are permitting me to include it in my research log.

Last edited by Chris on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Capital letters are your friend.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Re: do you get sick on theme park rides? you can help!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 am

Although Nemesis only has 4 inversions, I often come of the ride feeling a bit dizzy. However, I can ride The Smiler, which has 14 inversions, several times before feeling dizzy. I sometimes take travel sickness pills for the long journey but I have noticed it means I can do rides for much longer before feeling ill. Rather than feeling ill, I seem to often have a feeling throughout the air that there is loads of air in my throat and lungs that gets trapped. You may experience something similar if you are boated full of food or done a long period of intense excersise. 

Hope this helps!
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Do you get sick on theme park rides? You can help!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 am

Roller coasters don't have any effect on me. I can do multiple re-rides on any coaster at Alton and Thorpe and not feel sick/dizzy in the slightest.

Flat rides are a bit different. After my first ride on a Top Scan I did feel a bit queasy but I have ridden a much better version since and felt fine. All in all I'm not a massive fan of flats so don't really have an informed opinion on them.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm

I did Maurders(I can't pronounce or say that) Mayhem for the first time expecting to come off dizzy and I was fine however later went on Storm in a Teacup, I came off with a headache. I generally try avoiding Spinning coasters as I get motion sickness when spinning a lot but I'm fine with VR that has motion tracking though. Weird that...
[Insert Signature Here]

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 pm

I feel dizzy on Smiler and Samurai mainly, a few rides on Nemesis back-to-back makes me feel quite ill. I've only felt really bad after Time Machine at Adventure Island- felt incredibly ill and could easily have been sick! Avoiding that with a passion from now on.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't, I've not found a single ride to make me sick yet.

I do know someone who got very sick on Air/Galactica though... :lol

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Never happened, other than when I rode the Smiler for the first time (which I've Ridden multiple times in a row since) and any pirate ship.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.