UK theme parks from another point of view!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Last Film You Watched and Your Rating

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 pm

The Greatest Showman - 7/10

It was a good, solid film. There were moments though where I really thought parts were done in a disappointing manner such as the message of diversity being important, which should have been the main message, rather than a small thought near the end. Also, the ending felt very much like Sing and felt very forced. Song wise, This Is Me is by far the best the best song but the rest of the songs were average at best. Also, they were placed in sometimes in a random. Some characters felt really forced, in order to create a love story, even if they weren't necessary.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 pm

The Commuter 4/10.

Ive seen Stan's review, and it certainly goes to show how different people's views can be on the same film! :lol

I love Liam Neeson, and Taken is one of my favourite films. But my gosh, The Commuter was rather boring.
Samey samey action (ish) film and very easy to predict what the big plot points were, in my opinion.
Wouldn't recommend anyone actually pays to see it, but probably worth a watch if it appears on a movie channel in the future.

The Darkest Hour 7/10
Brilliant performance by Gary Oldman, and a really wonderful relationship portrayed between Churchill and his wife.
The film won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it had some lovely moments and was very interesting. I'll definitely rewatch it in future.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Daddy's Home - 6/10
Funny film but a bit cringey. Basically an average film, that's nothing spectacular, but nothing awful.

Darkest Hour - 6.5/10
The comedy here really, really felt out of place and just was not necessary in ruining the story's atmosphere. It also felt like another Dunkirk, which felt a tiny bit samey. The ending was very sudden and should have had another couple of minutes to make it feel less rushed. However, the actors were mostly good.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Insidious: The Last Key - 5/10

I was expecting good things from this film as I liked the first 3 films but I was severely disappointed. I found the film quite difficult to follow and honestly didn't feel tense at all and only jumped once (and I'm a very jumpy person). 
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1152!
Cred count: 73!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Coco - 8/10 (easily one of the best films out recently)
The Darkest Hour - 6.5/10 (the film won't be for everyone, I watched it simply for Gary Oldman's performance tbh and he excelled.)
The Post - 8/10 
Downsizing - 6/10 (the premise of this movie has so much potential during the first half, it then loses its way.)
Last Flag Flying - 6.5/10

While Three Billboards is my fav to win at the Oscars I do believe it'll be The Shape of Water (hope not) or Call Me By Your Name.

Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water, Black Panther, I Tonya will be some I'm catching in February.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Coco - 9/10

I took my little sister to see this, with very ‘meh’ expectations. However I was incredibly surprised by just how good it was. A fantastic Disney film, great storyline, characters and lovely and colourful. Actually very emotional, and you have to admire the accuracy and realism in relation to the Mexican tradition.

I would go and see this again, and can see this giving Frozen a run for its money in terms of earnings. :)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 am

Ingrid Goes West

This was a film of heard about on and off for awhile but had no idea what it was. I finally got around to it abd I must say it deserves the praise it gets. It’s so well made and the screenplay is genius - it hits dark humour on the head and also has so real uncomfortable moments. The two main actresses, Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen, are fantastic here (especially Aubrey) and I have to say I loved this film - definitely watch it!

Ingrid Goes West gets 8/10

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Winchester - 7.5/10

A decent horror, just not scary... Jason Clarke and Helen Mirren are great, and the plot itself is rather captivating and unusual from your typical Hollywood horror. 

Also, the fact that the film is based/inspired on true events and a genuine house does add to that, and make it all more intriguing and sinister.  However, the film loses points only due to the fact that it isn't scary at all, and only had around 3 jump-scares that actually worked.

All in all a decent film, but I'd wait for it to come on DVD.

Also, two trailers did take to my liking before the film: - "Unsane" and "Ghost Stories" 

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Downsizing - 5/10

I loved the concept when first hearing about it, and as mentioned previously the first half sets the storyline great. However it all goes downhill from there and makes a lousy attempt at building a love story... if that’s what you’d call it?
Had I paid to see this at the cinema, I would’ve been disappointed.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:00 pm

Stranger Things Season One - 9/10
Definitely a very good series with a good mix of comedy, drama and more horror elements.

Coco - 8/10
Solid film that maybe could have had some more memorable pieces of music.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Black Swan - 10/10

Despite this film being out on DVD for quite some time, I have only just watched it. And my god it’s an amazing film, and up there in the top films i’ve ever seen.

The story and plot is very ‘out there’ and definitely worth the risk taken making this film. The acting is on point, and the lead actress especially delivers and executes her role phoenomonaly - so much so this is one of the only films that has made me genuinely cry. The plot also has many twists and turns leaving you on the edge of your seat during it all. Also, the film (despite it not being a horror) features several VERY GOOD jump scares and every single one got me!!

Would strongly recommend this film to anyone who likes a good drama and films like Gone Girl, The Girl On The Train and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:25 pm

The Midnight Man- 4/10

Despite the trailer making this film look a rather promising horror, this was such a let down. The acting was poor, and any sense of mystery/fear of the Midnight Man himself was lost within minutes of the first interaction.

The Bye Bye Man - 5/10

More of a thriller than a horror, and this film was far from thrilling. The acting was fairly good and a couple of twists worked well, but overall a bland film that relies on many tactics/plot twists that have been used many times before.

Both films were left open for a sequel, but I hope the disappointing performance of both means these do not come to fruition.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (4DX) - 9/10

Having never seen the original Jumanji (shocking, I know!) I wasn't sure what to expect from this film, however, being a big fan of both Dwayne Johnson & Kevin Hart, I was optimistic of enjoying it.

I enjoyed the storyline, specifically how they had updated the "game" to make it more modern. There is also a twist with Jack Black's character, which I found hilarious, mainly because he played the part so well.

The fact I saw it in 4DX enhanced the whole experience. If you've never seen a film in this format, I highly recommend it. It is a bit more expensive than seeing it on a standard screen but, in my opinion, it's well worth it.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (4DX) - 9/10

I also attended the 4DX showing of Jamanji and I must agree with Dan. This is a great film and certainly worth a watch. The film has been updated, whilst not being disrespectful to the original. The storyline is good, however, the villain, Russel Van Pelt, is a little weak.

4DX is definitely worth the extra! There was some very good action scenes with great movement. Smoke, wind and lighting adds to the overall experience, although I would have liked more water and some smells.

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Darkest Hour - 8/10

Gary Oldman was outstanding in his role, and overall very solid from start to finish. Only detractor for me was the tube scene, but doesn't take much from the film at all.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10

My favourite for best picture so far (though I'm yet to see The Shape of Water). Best film of the year, shot, edited beautifully. Character development is incredible, with Sam Rockwell as the standout in my opinion.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Fifty Shades Freed - 5.5/10

I guess this film is just what it says on the tin, alright film with many many glorified sex scenes...

It runs in the same tone as the previous two films of the trilogy. With the 'happy' couple now being married, and of course things do change and take a turn for the worst... The plot is very predictable and similar to the other instalments. 

The film isn't dreadful but I wouldn't rave about it, however, the soundtrack is very very good and therefore added it to my Spotify playlist. The acting is alright I suppose, but I guess it's just a good movie for Valentines Day (as the girl did choose this film to watch haha) - if you have seen any other Fifty Shades film you have basically seen them all because they are so so similar. Although this is the 'last' one in the trilogy I'm sure we will see this franchise arise soon. 

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Avengers - 7/10

I've only just seen the film, after all these years, and there is no doubt that it's over-rated, but it's not bad in any way. My main issue is the film takes far too long to get to the main sections, so the first third of the film lacks the momentum to really get me interested.

Black Panther - 9/10

This was certainly a great film with very good acting and CGI. Slightly annoying that the marvel logo didn't exactly fit in, so probably would have better with custom music like Ant Man or just placed at the very start. Also, the music worked very well with the film, along with the film's two villains. Something interesting to note was how full the cinema was but more importantly, there was lots of clapping at the end of the movie. Anyway, here's the ranking of the marvel films I've seen...

1. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
2. Ant Man
3. Black Panther
4. Doctor Strange
5. The Avengers
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Thor: Ragnorak
8. Spiderman: Homecoming
9. Thor: The Dark World

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Beauty and the Beast (2017): 8/10

Great cast, great soundtrack and nice refresh of a classic, even though at time it was near identical! :)

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Black Panther: 8/10

Great addition to the universe. One of the best Marvel films to date in my personal opinion.

Phantom Thread: 8/10

Absolutely loved this. Wonderful acting, incredible costume design and one of Day-Lewis' best performances. Only detractor was that it felt slightly too long.

The Shape of Water: 10/10

This alongside Three Billboards are the standouts of the year for me. Sally Hawkins delivers in the lead role, excellent support as well. Shot beautifully, editing and soundtrack are some of the best I've seen/heard all year. Another showstopper from Del Toro, and highly deserving of all the awards/nominations it's gained.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Thor: Ragnarok 7/10

I thought the film was alright. It was nothing amazing though. The story felt a bit weak, but the effects and comedy were quite good

The Snowman - 9/10

I loved this film. Its a crime thriller that just works and keeps you guessing right until the end.

Geostorm - 4/10

It has some good effects and a simplistic story, but it just felt a bit boring in some places. 
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook